What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How often spray the fresh clones with water?

N

NewAgeGenetics

hello

I would like to know that how often do you spray with water your clones?

cause I usually spray them 2-3 times a day in the first week, than once a day for one-two more weeks. 14-21 days and they root in 99%

So one of my local bro said that he spray them only once!! when take the cuts and in a closed propagator box they are rooting in 3 weeks without any more water spraying. he says its no good to spray them daily cause it makes slower the rooting.

what do you say? how often should I spray them?

I use rootriot plugs/rockwool/jiffy with Clonex gel.

they usually root within 2-3 weeks...

so how often is the optimal?

picture.php

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^These guys

Haven't sprayed clones in over a year. I hydrate in a cup beforehand and mist the dome for 2-3 days. Though saying that, I also keep RH around 60-70 while cloning.

radix

hemp is weed! you don't need to spray them or something like this. just take a clone, put it in your medium, let it at 100% rH, wait 1 week, lower the rH day by day and it will work. Made at least 500 clones this way, worked nearly 100%.

br

When you spray the leaves, you are letting the plant support itself without the need for more roots. That's why you don't want to spray them so often, and they will root faster. If the plant can't get water from the leaves or existing roots, it will grow more roots to search for water. You're actually slowing down the process and I'm suprised you don't get mold with that much spraying.

Do you use a dome? Do you keep the RH at a certain level? I started out spraying but quickly realized it was counter productive. Don't even spray the inside of the dome any more, thus it makes the water inside the medium evaporate out and create a 100% RH enviornment.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey New Age, the key is letting the water on the leaves evaporates before sprying again.

When cloning you need high RH%. High RH gives the possibility to several fungi species to sprout and develop, but only with a simple condition. It has to be wet at least for 12 hours for any kind of fungi strain to sprout.
So you can spray your clones with no problems, just let them dry, or if still wet let the dome open or take a towel and dry them out, especially the younger parts like the tips. This way sprouting spores will dry out and die.

High RH% is needed only to avoid dehydratation, but you can visually check your clones and if they're not wilt let them ''breath'' fresh air a little bit.

Do you use a dome? Do you keep the RH at a certain level? I started out spraying but quickly realized it was counter productive. Don't even spray the inside of the dome any more, thus it makes the water inside the medium evaporate out and create a 100% RH enviornment.

This is a good tip because water will evaporate from the root-riot giving more air to the medium, avoiding root rot.

Please note clonex should contain anti-fungal and anti-bacterias stuff, but they won't last much, so air is needed for a good rooting.

If the root-riot is too wet I found squeezing it a little bit from the bottom helps to eliminates excess water.

Hope it helps :wave:

CoCoSativas

Uhhh never spray... Man i put a little extra water in the tray, when its covered it evaporates and voila no problem.

Your clones would be faster with a no spray approach...

N

NewAgeGenetics

14 days old white russian and gg4 cuttings in root riot with twice a day water spraying. lol
picture.php

picture.php

14 days old super skunk clone (root riot, twice a day spraying)
picture.php

and yes, I use dome (propagator box) plus I spray the dome and also the fresh clones with some anti-mold powder (mixed into water in a very light concentrate) one-two days after I cut the clones and it helps to avoid a lots of problem! I spray even the walls with this anti mold powder... its a kinda New Age trick lol helps to keep clean the box/room.

CoCoSativas

14 days old white russian and gg4 cuttings in root riot with twice a day water spraying. lol
View Image
View Image

14 days old super skunk clone (root riot, twice a day spraying)
View Image

and yes, I use dome (propagator box) plus I spray the dome and also the fresh clones with some anti-mold powder (mixed into water in a very light concentrate) one-two days after I cut the clones and it helps to avoid a lots of problem! I spray even the walls with this anti mold powder... its a kinda New Age trick lol helps to keep clean the box/room.

Look im not trying to have a competition or lol war or anything... Im just saying spraying is really not that great. Just cause they root dosent mean its better.

By the way the pics are off clones cut a week previous. Im new to cloning but obviously have been shown a fairly decent way, because they have roots like that in half the times yours do.

You asked a question. I gave my answer. You laughed at me why? Because yours go in 14 days with spray? That kinda makes me laugh man. Thats whats really funny here. Besides chasing green said it all. Spraying leaves gives the plant what it needs up top, so why root. You are creating more work for yourself, and looking green as can be while going about it. Can you explain to me why yours take twice as long to produce the same progress as mine mr phd?

Keep laughing though, you knew best when you asked and obviously answered your own question. Obviously your 14 days trumps my laughable week to root. Fyi guys on here have root nubs in 3 days, so you sure know whats best.

N

NewAgeGenetics

I dunno why are you acting like a b'

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60011&pictureid=1419621&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60011&pictureid=1418906&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60011&pictureid=1418901&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=60011&pictureid=1418902&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Look im not trying to have a competition or lol war or anything... Im just saying spraying is really not that great. Just cause they root dosent mean its better.

By the way the pics are off clones cut a week previous. Im new to cloning but obviously have been shown a fairly decent way, because they have roots like that in half the times yours do.

You asked a question. I gave my answer. You laughed at me why? Because yours go in 14 days with spray? That kinda makes me laugh man. Thats whats really funny here. Besides chasing green said it all. Spraying leaves gives the plant what it needs up top, so why root. You are creating more work for yourself, and looking green as can be while going about it. Can you explain to me why yours take twice as long to produce the same progress as mine mr phd?

Keep laughing though, you knew best when you asked and obviously answered your own question. Obviously your 14 days trumps my laughable week to root. Fyi guys on here have root nubs in 3 days, so you sure know whats best.

Because he's right. 14 days for clones to root is insane. It should take 3-5 days max. Plus I suggest that you cut those leaves off, as your cuttings are having to spend more energy supporting those fan leaves compared to using all of the energy for roots.

CoCoSativas

I dunno why are you acting like a b'

Lol implies you think somethings funny. I didnt really find it funny you shrugged off two others advice then loled mine. It pissed me off. What a waste of time, you post a thread to what? Argue and waste bandwidth?

Chasing green gives you more good advice i would have given you if you werent laughing your ass off. Though honestly after your last reaction to advice, id never waste my time again.

Yeah 2 weeks to root = not good. You are not the expert you believe you are. Anyone on this site could tell you that.

You can see clearly my leaves were also cut. They were originally cut off 60% and then grew out larger after rooting.

Its a little frustrating trying to answer someones question and have them act like a teenager. You dont know best. Not this time. Do you want to launch a thread asking whats better, your two weeks or my one? I dont think its that hard to figure out which method works better.

Whos acting like a "b"? Grow a pair of balls...

Im still laughimg my ass off at your 14 days. Thats wack dog...

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plus I suggest that you cut those leaves off, as your cuttings are having to spend more energy supporting those fan leaves compared to using all of the energy for roots.

If you don't mind, why the cut should spend energy for a leaf?
It should stop/slow down the growth of any tissue till roots are out and in effect clones usually stop to grow during this time and for what I know leaves produces energy, even without roots. After approx. its 30% final size a leaf become a fully producer, its consumption is auto-balanced.

I think leaving the clone as much tissue as possible is the best option. Throw them is a waste of energy, the energy the plant had to spent to create those leaves cointaining C based molecules and many chemical elements, wich often can be moved from a leaf to a tip. If you throw'em away the plant can't use them.

That's what I know, what am I missing?

However I think 14 days as a regular basis is way too much as the other said. Weak or slow rooting plants can take so long, but if every strain is this slow, there is something you can improve for sure.
Try with less water for the riot, having more air in the root zone helps. Be sure the stem is properly treated to have a larger rooting zone especially if the mom has a tendency to produce lignine.