What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why growing with partners wont work...let's hear your opinion

The only kind of partner I would ever take on is a silent partner (investor) and thats only if I needed money, which I don't.

In the past I've had partners and like many people say due to me being the person with the skill set that benefits the grow the most.....

1. I end up doing all the work.
2. They always question what I am doing even though they have no other suggestions.
3. They constantly ask about absolute dates. (when we harvasting, when we flowering, how long till the clones have roots... blah blah blah, ask me once or twice, fine, ask me 3 times a week and I'm about to bite your head off)
4. Changing A/C temps or moving fans around in the room without saying anything to me.

Theres more but thinking about it is starting to piss me off. Fuck partners. I have no problem employing people to do stuff, but straight up 50/50 partners who think b/c they contributed 50% towards the electric bill that they are ready to tell you how to grow even though you have been doing it for over a decade and they only started smoking 2 years ago....

^^^ What he said. Invariably, one person knows what they are doing, the other doesn't. Eventually, a disagreement will occur and neither is willing to back down: the one with experience who KNOWS he is right, the other without as much experience because the THINKS he is right.

Also, many people look to take advantage of others do not pulling their weight, but demanding more than they deserve.

As mentioned before, if you need help, hire a helper, do not take on a partner.

If you have no idea what you are doing, ask a more experienced grower to mentor you during one of his grows and do it without expecting payment. If you go this route, DO EVERYTHING HE SAYS, and don't try to "improve" on what he is doing unless he agrees to it first.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
darwinsbulldog is not an exception, he's an example of how to do it right. dmt says, 'being professional will solve all the problems', which is what you see darwinsbulldog doing, exactly. Lets face it, growing is a profession for what was referred to in the old days as an 'honest craftsman'. The definition of an honest craftsman is someone who always does the best job possible in every situation, no matter what or who it is done for. An honest craftsman has the LUXURY of answering only to their own extreme standards, and never has to lower themselves to merely doing the job 'good enough' for the client. Only by being an honest craftsman can the high levels of skill be attained to be a consumate connoisseur grower like darwinsbulldog.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
IT isnt about trust, it is about how things will work, what is expected of everybody, how money will be split, unexpected expenses, etc. what happens if there is a security concern

darwinsbull dog is an exception to the rule.

i dunno about exception, you just need to be in the game for the right reasons, the same with anyone you go in on it with. my mate penguin and i never got into this business because we wanted to make millions and live our lives in mansions etc, we simply love the plant, everything about it and want to breed and grow as best we can and earn the respect of others the hard old fashioned way through work, time and effort. it won't be easy and it shouldn't be for good reason, but i wanna give back as much as i get (and have already gotten) from this community and more, for the rest of my life, whether i make any money or not could phase me less, and it's the same with my partner in crime penguin59. we had another friend who was always a great mate but he wanted to grow and sell it all, had no respect for the plant, for growing, for breeding, for us, just wanted money. we told him NO FUCKING WAY.... you just have to be smart about things and stay true to yourself and keep away from trouble like that, even if it's convenient and even if they're good friends, because whether it's sooner or later it can only end badly.

darwinsbulldog is not an exception, he's an example of how to do it right. dmt says, 'being professional will solve all the problems', which is what you see darwinsbulldog doing, exactly. Lets face it, growing is a profession for what was referred to in the old days as an 'honest craftsman'. The definition of an honest craftsman is someone who always does the best job possible in every situation, no matter what or who it is done for. An honest craftsman has the LUXURY of answering only to their own extreme standards, and never has to lower themselves to merely doing the job 'good enough' for the client. Only by being an honest craftsman can the high levels of skill be attained to be a consumate connoisseur grower like darwinsbulldog.

cheers for the kind words mate, i'll be keeping at it! i'm sure many of you can do it with other people, you just have to make sure you both are on the same level and have similar goals etc, if you're too different and if either of you have less than honest intentions then shit may go south in the end. just be safe and smart everyone :D

Danks2005

I think thats the hardest part. Finding someone who likes the plant more than the money. If you devote yourself to the plant, and put everything into growing a superior product, the money will come. But the plant comes first. Like I said before, many people see what we do as easy money, and thats just not the case.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
I think thats the hardest part. Finding someone who likes the plant more than the money. If you devote yourself to the plant, and put everything into growing a superior product, the money will come. But the plant comes first. Like I said before, many people see what we do as easy money, and thats just not the case.

that's exactly it! plants first, the rest second

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
that's exactly it! plants first, the rest second

in a perfect world....

I've seen perfect partners completely change their personalities in a short 6 month span. Known someone since third grade, smokin' buddies since forever. As soon as we started growing together, what was a great friendship with two level headed people with nothing but opportunity ahead of them ended up having all of the stereotypical 'partner' problems and ruining the friendship forever.

There is a reason the people that HAVE gotten burned before say fuck partners.

go listen to "The Ten Crack Commandments" by B.I.G. yeah I know we dont like rocks but the message is still the same.

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
it is not like any other legal buisness-because there is no recourse to the law-so no contracts that are worth anything other than each persons word. For Gods sake do not write everything down as suggested above that is a really bad idea.

A wise friend, years ago when i told him i was thinking of going in with a crew, said 'watch out when the deal changes.' Boy was he right with that one. Here's what happens-you make a deal-get it all going -then they want to change the deal. This can happen at any time but 4 weeks into 12/12 is a fave because you are too far in to bail but too far away to cut and run. And if you let it happen once-it will happen again and again until the deal that you have in no way resembles the original deal.

I'm growing on my own atm:tiphat:
e

T

tokinafaty420

I'd like to expand on my original statement. To me there is a difference between doing it for personal smoke and for profit. If its for personal smoke I have no issue with partners or friends. Its pretty much straight forward and there won't be any bickering over money for the most part. If its for profit thats where I say no fucking way. Greed will always rear its ugly fucking face no matter who the partner is.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In other businesses, that does seem inevitable, but at the top of the hierarchy of the cannabis biz is the plant itself. And, anyone who listens to the voice of the plant long enough tends to mimic it in at least some ways. For example being more generous, bountiful and benign towards other living things.

T

tokinafaty420

In other businesses, that does seem inevitable, but at the top of the hierarchy of the cannabis biz is the plant itself. And, anyone who listens to the voice of the plant long enough tends to mimic it in at least some ways. For example being more generous, bountiful and benign towards other living things.

I wish everyone saw it that way, I feel the same way about it. Hell I give clones away for free and buds for that matter. It really is all about my passion for biology, not just MJ. MJ just happens to be a unique plant I enjoy above most others. Its just out here its always about money no matter what the topic is. Greed is a religion around here and its ingrained in almost everyone. Sad but true.

pity all you guys dont have safe friends makes me sad :( friends who know about my grow would go to prison before mentioning i grow.Its same with anything illegal we do everyone know to keep it shut.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
pity all you guys dont have safe friends makes me sad :( friends who know about my grow would go to prison before mentioning i grow.Its same with anything illegal we do everyone know to keep it shut.
Keep telling yourself that boss.

Can I ask how old you are?

I think life in time will show you that trusting multiple people with a secret like that is not a good idea.

i'm 36...whats age got to do with it? i trust my friends with my life no exceptions. We live on an estate where ppl grow in their front gardens.....ppl say nothing because they dont see cannabis as a drug. Yes we are all scum but tight!

Kalicokitty

Veteran
i'm 36...whats age got to do with it? i trust my friends with my life no exceptions. We live on an estate where ppl grow in their front gardens.....ppl say nothing because they dont see cannabis as a drug. Yes we are all scum but tight!
I asked because, no offense, it sounded like something a naive kid with no life experience would say.
But, it sounds like something different in your case now, especially if you're in a friendly MJ state.
Good for you that you have friends you can trust like that, they're a rare breed.

I asked because, no offense, it sounded like something a naive kid with no life experience would say.
But, it sounds like something different in your case now, especially if you're in a friendly MJ state.
Good for you that you have friends you can trust like that, they're a rare breed.

I'm in the UK lol no friendly MJ states here :p

Kalicokitty

Veteran
I'm in the UK lol no friendly MJ states here :p

Maybe it's different in the UK then, here in the states we have a "narc" culture, people you've been friends with for years will give you up to save themselves from the most minor legal things.

Arrested for shop lifting a candy bar, well officer, I can tell you where a large grow is if you let me go.

Most people will roll like a f'ing ball here on their friends for anything.

Latest posts

Latest posts