What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why growing with partners wont work...let's hear your opinion

lol, some really good responses here. The partnership deal is tough. Didn't work out for me, had a lazy good for nothing partner, and I'm pretty much a jerk, so that didn't last. I have helpers now, they get paid or compensated, and learn how to grow. If your selective about your help, it works out ok.

G

GWSgrower!

my partner is my pa...needless to say i trust him with my life.

hopleaf

partners only work when they are family. partnering up with a friend is great way to lose a friend.

hopleaf

lol, some really good responses here. The partnership deal is tough. Didn't work out for me, had a lazy good for nothing partner, and I'm pretty much a jerk, so that didn't last. I have helpers now, they get paid or compensated, and learn how to grow. If your selective about your help, it works out ok.

helpers are key... everyone needs a vacation at some point right?

Securityfirst

Never partner with a woman. Ever , like never fucking ever. Most people that dont broker/grow haven't a clue. They also cant afford the bills like a broker/grower can. That makes the broker/grower feel undervalued and what not.

dominicangreen

Weed Robot
Veteran
hard to find someone that has the passion for growing like you do sometimes you find yourself working harder then them so its why it has to be someone that loves this shit not meaning loves to smoke and get money only

good luck with your find

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
Partners...

Can't we ever learn from breeders???

My only partners are my gonads and my word.

Just like Tony Montana...

Seriously

pftek

i dont see any problem in having a partner if it leads to better production than if you did everything yourself.

a good split is one deals with the growing knowledge and the other with manual help. or one guy does 100% investment and the other his knowledge. or one guy grows the other sets up connects. it makes it more enjoyable and much easier to set up with another person.

i found this to be pretty fair deal. and sometimes don't be so greedy. even if you FEEL they don't deserve half. sometimes it's in your best interest to give them half. dont look it as more for me. but more for US. if they are family it's FAMILY. Friends. FRIENDS. if you do well they should too. Rise up together.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Partners are not always a bad idea. I have no choice because I have a roommate. He does not have a clue about growing, I know how to do it so I do it all.
He is 50% of the money invested in the grow, 50% of the bills at the house, does 50% of the labor, but its my grow, my buyers, so lets say he is not getting 50%.

I do not have any grows in progress right this second but soon enough

And if you get caught are you going to do more than 50% of the time? Sounds like a shitty deal for him sharing the risk and costs for less than half.

I can see where everybody's coming from on the indoor side of things. But if you're outdoor, especially in grizzly/cougar country, a partner can be an important thing. Hucking soil is a bitch and a half, and a partner can be a major help there too. And of course as said, for high risk points like harvest, a pickup/dropoff is just a necassary procedure.

dtfsux

2 grows with partners and it was a disaster. After the first partnership went south, I started up a couple years later solo and things went great, except for the learning curve I had since I never really grew (last op shut down before we even flowered the first cycle). Learned how to grow, set shit up the way i wanted, etc. 10Kw op was starting to bring money in. Then I got a little worried and wanted it out of my house and partnered up with 2 knuckleheads and went for broke in a big commercial op. I worked my ass off, went from 10 hours a week to 40-50 hours, more headaches, had to explain shit over and over like why we needed Ac with 15KW or a DH with a 20x20 room, etc, AND made LESS money.

Now I am jammed up, and one partner is scott free and the second is looking at a slap on the wrist cause he didn't catch all the charges I did. In hindsight its lucky I didn't catch a murder charge cause at times I felt like killing someone.

FUCK PARTNERS. NEVER EVER AGAIN.

IF I were to start up back up, I would grow in my tub with the bathroom light if I had to and make what I could and keep reinvesting till I could buy all my equipment. I would NEVER EVER borrow, get an investor or partner.

The ONLY exception would be a silent investor. Let me borrow XXX and you will get XXX back in XXX time. If I have to shut down the term is extended. If I get busted the debt is wiped out. Investor knows nothing about location, setup, etc

But a partner to help trim, and perform maintenance? NEVER EVER AGAIN.

There is not a day that goes by that I do not regret that partnership

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
yea, i am way too much of a maniac to ever have a partner. first, i would never want to share the rewards with someone who didnt do as much as i did, but i also am paranoid enough without having someone else know about it. the only person who knows what i am doing is my fiancee, and she helps with the trimming when it comes down to it. she never enters the basement where everything is, and knows better than to try and get involved. her and i have been together since we were 17, and she knows how passionate i am about this stuff. i dont bother try and bother her about her love for shoes and pocketbooks, and she doesnt bother me for this. but if i ever started a bigger crop, i think i would like to have a silent partner supplying the money maybe, who knows will probably never happen though.

pftek

again i'm going pro partners. don' pick someone just cause he is a friend.

you need to complement one another and have the SAME goal in mind.

I don't see how some of you could do it solo. Especially if one is BUILDING a larger grow op. No way I could do it solo.

supermanlives

Veteran
partners dont work...

1.They do nothing
2.They want 1/2
3. They do nothing.
4. Theres not enough work for 2 people
5. They rip you off
6. They do nothing
7.They rip you off more.
8. They do nothing.
9. They rip you off again.
10. Something happens and they snitch on you.
11. They have a big mouth
12. They dont know nothing
13. They are useless
14. They are pointless
15. They steal from you
16. They want to do stupid shit thats pointless
17. They do nothing
18. They want half.
19. Snitch on y ou
20. DO SHIT BY YOURSELF!!!!

20 was more of a comment then why partners suck.... lol i hope this helps

21. They think they know shit when they know NOTHING
22. They switch around the room and makes things worse.
23. It like having a girl that you cant ram (whats the point)
24. Babysit partners.
25. Cant tell how many times ive heard of people getting busted becasue there "partner" did something stupid totally UNRELATED to weed but in the end you get busted for weed.
26. Partner spouse... You may be able to control yours... But a partners girl is unpredictable and if he dont have one who knows how much he talks to get girls into bed..
27.Imagine giving someone half your crop for doing dog shit.
28. THeres many more but damn im tired...
29. PARTNERS SUCK DONT DO IT!!!!

haha gl bro
you said it.

R

rocky5

my idea of partner would be-give me your room and we will split 50/50.
no other grower involved apart from me.

dtfsux

I don't see how some of you could do it solo. Especially if one is BUILDING a larger grow op. No way I could do it solo.

That's just it, you don't need a larger op.

I built and ran a 9KW flowering in my house and had all the time in the world. room ran from 11PM to 11AM. did all my maintenance before 11AM. Since it was a SOG, lollipopping was a tough day and I pushed the lights to 12 or so. Some days I did nothing more than open the door, check for leaks, make sure no lights fell and I was done. Some days I did res maintenance and that took a couple hours for all the reses in flowering and veg

I could leave for 3 days to take the kids to some out of town sporting event they had and had no worries. Grow was on auto-pilot.

that op was good for 15-18 # every 60 days. If you cant live off that I dont know what to tell you.

The larger the op, the less yield per watt IMO. You just cant tend to every plant and baby them like some guy who has a 4x4 table in his guest bedroom and drools on them every day for 3 hours.

Risk goes up as you bring in labor, partners etc. Plus plant #'s are sky high

And money goes down as partners get their cut, employees get paid etc.

my 9kw op I ran SOLO except for trimming where the wife helped. AND IT WAS A SOG GROW. It would have been MUCH easier if I was growing less plants

30kw op had me and 2 partners, and around 10 other people who knew about it or knew where it was. Rumor was one partner brought someone else by just to look at it.

My 9k op brought more money in and gave me WAY less headaches. I based everything around my schedule. The 30K op brought less money, was a major PITA and dictated all my time

I thought I was clear on things but that didn't work out well down the road. Oh lets do this or do that, oh we don't have enough money to put up a fence or do this or that.

Anybody who wants a partner in a commercial op should just put the gun to their head now, and pull the trigger. It will save you a lot of trouble down the road

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
for some of you it understandable if you have huge grows. Like warehouses full, but for most of us partners are non-existant for good reasons. It seems like the mass of people(sorry for coming to conclusions if i'm wrong) who support partners are relatively new to growing.

this does not include you guys with huge grow ops(mostly med states) where it would be almost impossible if not downright stressful working by yourself.

Guerilla operations were the only time it worked so we could take turns going out to the shit...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Since moving to a medical state :

Had 3 partners.

1 & 2 - They took me for two KNOWN genetic lines, some seeds (I gifted, they never grew) and a still unknown number of clones that were supposed to be for patients gardens. Let's just say more than worth posting. They lied, misappropriated efforts and stole. Cost me 75% of would have been outdoor and the next cycle couldn't be perpetuated....BACK to seeds...

3 - I would have thought to be a life-long friend. I was his mentor. Felt bad for him and his situation. (single parent with sole custody) So I thought it the right thing to do to kind of usher him into my world. Well, now, my world is his. Why? Because he STOLE everything I had. Plants, lights, fans....the works. I'm still trying to recoup the loss. Lost plants I no longer have seeds for and once again provided clones of a superior nature that he would NEVER have access to otherwise...EVER. Now, I'm out multiple thousands and have to relocate to grow again...

THIS IS IN A MED STATE.

Partners = never EVER again. I don't need someone on my coattails telling me what great pot I grow. All I did was end up putting my knowledge and years of dedicated service to their useless, GREED DRIVEN agenda.

dank.Frank

Last edited:
O

OrganicOzarks

I could not do it with out my wife. I could, but I enjoy it much more when she is involved. It takes some of the load off. She just does what i ask her to do, and she chalks it up to getting to smoke as much as she can. She smokes a lot. She can trim like a motherfucker too. She will trim for hours, and not bitch once. As long as I keep her wine full, her bowl full, and the music going she will just keep on trimming. If I am out of town she can handle things while i am gone. She asks a lot of questions, and I give a lot of answers. She quite complaing about me spending so much time online reading after the results have just gotten better and better. I can spend 6 hours reading grow books, magazines, forums, and she will just ask what I am learning. I love that woman! Sorry for everyone elses troubles with their partners. I hope this can atleast put a smile on some of your faces.:)

P.S. I have a really low tolerance, and my wife can smoke hash all day everyday, and have some edibles, and just keep on going like it's nothing. She is my tester. If she says the smoke is good then I know for a fact it is great. She always gives me a 1-10 . I have only gotten to an 8.5. I think this is great because she has never rated any other that she has had over a 7. Again I love that woman!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why, yes...yes it does. :) That does indeed make her a VERY special lady.

dank.Frank