What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Never had Hooters wings. Never even been in a Hooters
went into the original one in Tampa/St. Pete about thirty years ago. drank many beers, ate many oysters. the young lady that made it into Playboy was working that evening, but you could not pick her out of the girls working there. just another face in the crowd...

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Dinner before some minutes. Steak, spinach with garlic, potatoes out of the oven.

20230307_185543.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I made salisbury steak for the first time ever and had it with mashed potatoes. It was okay but I bet I can create an even better version of it next time :)
about your potatoes...have you tried/heard of the "German yellow" or Idaho gold" spuds ? they are reportedly as yellow when cooked as butter, and taste buttery as well. i'm going on the hunt for those...:yummy:

moose eater

about your potatoes...have you tried/heard of the "German yellow" or Idaho gold" spuds ? they are reportedly as yellow when cooked as butter, and taste buttery as well. i'm going on the hunt for those...:yummy:
German Butterball, Yukon Gold, Nicola, Carola, and a host of others are really good.

French Fingerlings are tasty, much larger than a typical fingerling, white fleshed (with a reddish sort of spirograph design in the white flesh in the more mature spuds), and a vibrant red skin.

Sangre is another good hearty/hardy sweet white fleshed spud with red skin and very tough roots or runners joining the tubers.

------------------------------------------------------------
Got 4 racks of ribs in the smoker right at the moment, equating to 21 sections of 2 to 3 bone rib sections. For today's dinner, as well as wrapping 10 or so of the sections in food wrap and aluminum foil, then into the freezer for the trip to the bush. Part of the deluxe 'survival food' grub.

Pictures if necessary, but it's very similar to the last set of photos from several pages ago; same smoker, about the same temperature outside, more or less the same temp inside the smoker (about 220 to 230 f.), though the Sun has tried to warm up the outdoors since this AM.

We started the morning at about -17 f. on the front porch thermometer, and it's now about +7 f. or so in the shade, away from the Sun's rays.

The colder outside air allows the flame in the smoker to be turned up higher to maintain proper smoking temperature, making for a better smoke from the chips, while keeping the smoker's temp down. Cool; literally..

Have a romaine lettuce and baby spinach organic salad with broccoli, celery, sweet peppers, and mushrooms to go with the ribs for dinner, along with a fresh batch of homemade Caesar dressing.

We'll get by....

Cuddles

I haven´t heard of those . the potatoes I get here are yellow but I´m not sure about a buttery taste...?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
cooked some Yukon Golds in with a roast beef today in the crock pot. delicious, much smoother/creamier than plain old spuds.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
IMG-1649.jpg

This is dog food. He lets us get a couple of meals out of it though . . . ;)

We buy whatever meat is on sale . . . rump, top sirloin, round, pork tenderloin, chicken breast and the odd bit of fish etc and cook it properly – but without any spicing but salt. Then we usually eat one or two dinners/lunches from it and the rest gets chopped as a pet food supplement – with added selected veggies of course - to give them something other than store dog food. The cat will refuse anything with veggie debris but other than that it is the highlight of their meals. This was $35 of Top Sirloin that I roasted @ 250 until it hit medium @ 140. We had it with gravy and mashed and tomorrow it will turn into French Dip with a fake Au Jus gravy compliments of Bovril. And there is still a shitload of meat to cut up for the cat and the dog, Retired folk have to economize y'know. :cool: