What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Store Bought vs Home Made - Potency of Edibles???

anythingtech

I like a particular brand-name 100mg Sativa Gummy that is for sale at dispensaries in California, Nevada, and Colorado.

With recent recreational-use legislation here in California, the cost of that edible has now over doubled for me after taxes/fees -- as a result I am trying to make my own Sativa infused cannabis oil.

PROBLEM:
My homemade infused cannabis oil is not giving me anywhere close to the same effects I get from eating that store bought edible. (I'm not even infusing my oil in food yet, it's easier for me to dose out of a syring at the moment)

NOTICED EFFECTS:
Store-Bought edible provides a very potent, clean and clear, uplifting and energetic Sativa experience. I equate it to like a cup of coffee (after waiting 45mins of course).

Homemade edible provides a very different experience -- still the "psychoactive high" is there -- but instead of traditional sativa, the homemade oil has almost a "cloudy thoughts/dirty" feeling.

I am using QWET to extract my oil.

I am familiar w/ decarboxylation and run my oil in oven at 250* for around 25 minutes -> until the small co2 bubbles stop bubbling and most of them have popped/dissipated.

I'm wondering if the difference could possibly be because the store-bought edible uses THC Distillate and possibly all the plant waxes and chlorophyl that come over w/ the QWET in my homemade process are adding the undesirable effects to my oil???

Maybe it's the strain?
I'm using Sour Diesel.

Thoughts?

blastfrompast

Veteran
I find thc distillate flat myself....

I make edibles with both distillate, and decarbed BHO...

There is an intersting thread on terpenes in edibles modulating ur high....could this be that..

My grape ape decarbed oil has a unique flavor compared to my sativa decarbed oil (tumble) sooo......could that be it...

U could always try making some using clear (distillate) ....price has came way the FUK down....

Maple_Flail

if you decarb first you get less Chlorophyll in the extraction, If you are not in a hurry the waxes will also fall out of suspension, atleast with ISO it does. (you just have to remember to have a clean vessel or container to put it into so you can ditch the waxes)

Type of carrier oil may also be something to it also, IME all store bought edible oils have some MCT oil in them at the very least, it kind of adds weight to the effect you feel by getting more of the THC9 to your liver and quicker conversion to D-11.

MCT oils start absorbing as soon as it hits your stomach, long chain fats absorb "lower" in the digestion system.

must mention, you are attempting to hit equivalent doses "store bought : homemade" Correct?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Strain makes all the difference. I'm sure adding terps back also makes a huge difference, when done properly. Personally, I don't fully decarb and leave some cannabinoids in their acid forms.

I use certified olive oils, about 1/3rd the volume. Never tried MCT.

anythingtech

So the Gummy I like is the Cheeba Chew Green Hornet Sativa.
The list the following ingredients:

Glucose Syrup
Sugar
Gelatin
Sorbitol
Citric Acid
Natural & Artificial Flavor
COCONUT OIL ***
Natural & Artificial Colors
Carnuba Wax

It claims to be 100mg - and I believe them to be pretty accurate w/ the dosage.

I have no idea what "strain" they use as all it says is "SATIVA". I suspect they probably just use a mix of Sativa shake as their bulk retail packaging says: "Call us if you have shake to sell". haha

Maple Flail - Yes, I am trying to hit equivalent doses. Cheeba Chew is 100mg and I eat 1/4 of it (25mg) for a proper medicated feeling. Not sure what you mean that waxes will fall out of suspension - unless you mean winterization?

By MCT do you mean Coconut oil? What MCT are people using?

Douglas.Curtis
Any recommendation or good threads on edible strains???
1/3 the volume? Is that like 10gram Cannabis to 3gram Olive Oil?

theJointedOne

Veteran
my guess is they are using c02 oil to infuse their mct/coconut oil

good thread though, the question hasnt come up much and its a important topic, especially given the current tax situation in recc states as the OP pointed out.

Maple_Flail

So the Gummy I like is the Cheeba Chew Green Hornet Sativa.
The list the following ingredients:

Glucose Syrup
Sugar
Gelatin
Sorbitol
Citric Acid
Natural & Artificial Flavor
COCONUT OIL ***
Natural & Artificial Colors
Carnuba Wax

It claims to be 100mg - and I believe them to be pretty accurate w/ the dosage.

I have no idea what "strain" they use as all it says is "SATIVA". I suspect they probably just use a mix of Sativa shake as their bulk retail packaging says: "Call us if you have shake to sell". haha

Maple Flail - Yes, I am trying to hit equivalent doses. Cheeba Chew is 100mg and I eat 1/4 of it (25mg) for a proper medicated feeling. Not sure what you mean that waxes will fall out of suspension - unless you mean winterization?

By MCT do you mean Coconut oil? What MCT are people using?

Douglas.Curtis
Any recommendation or good threads on edible strains???
1/3 the volume? Is that like 10gram Cannabis to 3gram Olive Oil?

the MCT's i'm familiar with is Palm oil and Liquid coconut oil.

not familiar with winterization of oils. I'm not quite sure what I am referring to is actually winterization. as if anything I'm warming to room temp vs slowly cooling.

sealed mason jars, so no evap occurs i've noticed this happen with i'm processing blends, just sitting at room temp for a few hours you will get a waxy film residue at the bottom that doesn't pour out and wasn't there prior to settling. (maybe dependant on size of batch?)

without a lab, i can think i can say that i happen to get rid of a lot of the waxes this way, not all of it but quite the fair amount...

P.s. I would say you decarb is not high or long enough, but I don't feel like starting a flame war over what temperature is proper.

Gry

I consume the majority of my canna via tea.
I have to agree whole heartedly with Doug.
The results are determined by the strain.
A bubba crossed with skywalker done by mendo 420,
was my favorite for years, lost it and use glue now.

For years, there was an add that ran in the back of
the LA Weekly. Wish I had kept a copy.
In a nutshell ; did you lose your grow to insect infestation, or mold?
Why throw it out, when you can call me. I will come by and pick it up
to use for making edibles.

I have a compromised immune system, and use only canna that
I grow. I have never been able to forget the add in LA weekly,
and will not eat what shops sell.

I used to decarb with heat, but used citric now (https://cannapedia.me/Citric+Acid+Extraction)
thanks to badkittysmiles.

I use a 50/50 mix of coconut, and olive oils.

30 mg per cup tea, I feel the lift off in 3-5 minutes.

Maple_Flail

I consume the majority of my canna via tea.
I have to agree whole heartedly with Doug.
The results are determined by the strain.
A bubba crossed with skywalker done by mendo 420,
was my favorite for years, lost it and use glue now.

For years, there was an add that ran in the back of
the LA Weekly. Wish I had kept a copy.
In a nutshell ; did you lose your grow to insect infestation, or mold?
Why throw it out, when you can call me. I will come by and pick it up
to use for making edibles.

I have a compromised immune system, and use only canna that
I grow. I have never been able to forget the add in LA weekly,
and will not eat what shops sell.

I used to decarb with heat, but used citric now (https://cannapedia.me/Citric+Acid+Extraction)
thanks to badkittysmiles.

I use a 50/50 mix of coconut, and olive oils.

30 mg per cup tea, I feel the lift off in 3-5 minutes.

if you go strain by strain and find the common denominators within the terps that exist above the point of decarb used.

you may find that you can break away slightly from needing certain strains for efficacy. Also when blend of strains come in to play you have room for off strain "filler" as long as its hitting the same cannabinoid content.

it doesn't greatly broaden the horizon, but it opens up options. I'm finding one of the common denominators myself is Caryophyllene(beta) content, if it is at the top of the terp list chances are the efficacy of the edible will match the efficacy of the flower if prepared correctly..

TMK it has the greatest affinity with the receptors of any terp and exists at the point where THC starts vaporizing (it boils at a slightly higher temp than thc)

I don't think its a coincidence that all the strains you listed general have some sort of peak with that terp. Might not be the most dominant however its likely up there.

We make hard candies that are 10mg of bho concentrate per candy. With regard to effect two big things come into play in my opinion. The big one is strain. The most energetic concentrate I have made was with a cut of hso blue dream. A close second was with brothers Grimm c99. The other big thing is how mature the plant is with regard to tricomes being cloudy vs turning amber. If you are looking for the energetic up beat high harvest at 90% cloudy and a few still clear. Once you start seeing amber it will start getting into the narcotic/couch lock phase. When making concentrates I tend to make mine right after they dry with little to no cure. The reason for that is the tricomes are still maturing after the plant has been cut down. Keep experimenting! Sooner or later you will find the magic combo you are after!

Edit: Gry thanks for that link, that has all sorts of fun possibilities!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Edible strains? I'm guessing some zameldica(sp?) or a rockin C-99 would be rather upbeat for edibles. Smoke reports of a strain are a good indicator of what edibles they'll create.

Yes, about 3grams per 10 grams of olive oil sounds about right. You may need a bit more or less, not sure.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
If you ever decide to make edibles with Cannabutter, you can do a search on IC for cinnamon and get the recipe "Stupid Potent Butter with Minimal Trim". The cinnamon seems to be synergistic to the weed. I made a batch of snicker doodle cookies and the recipe is strong and tastes good too. I did use over an ounce of buds so maybe that is why it was so strong? If you are religious, cinnamon and cannabis are two possible ingredients of the "Holy Anointing Oil" used in the old testament and maybe also used by Jesus.

Growcephus

Veteran
I'm wondering if the difference could possibly be because...

Possible causes:
-Different strain / blend of strains
-Better decarb conversion rate
-Better infusion rate
-Higher individual dosage

Solutions:
1. Use a different strain or create a blend using multiple strains
2. Up your decarb conversion rate
-Go 250 F for one hour total instead of 25 minutes to improve your conversion rate and get into the 90% area.
3. Up your infusion rate
-improve your QWET procedures for better infusion rates
-try making and using an oil based infusion like coconut oil or ghee using a long low simmer
4. Up your dosage
-start low and double the edible dose each day until you figure out how much you need to eat to be where you need to be

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
:laughing: What he said.

I make my edibles with great bud (indica) infused into coconut oil. Decarbed beforehand.

I prefer them to BHO edibles. I get a better overall stone.

It’s all good