What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My many designs and experiments.

Killkingkong

Ok, so just about a year ago around this time I was in the middle of my first grow. It went well for a first grow, and I definitely learned a lot. For some strange reason after my first grow I completely forgot how to get seedlings started and had a few half ass attempts at my 2nd grow. A lot of money spent later and I'm tired of paying for weed and tired or making changes to my grow boxes without actually growing.

Specs:
4x7.1w 800 lumen 3500k LED Bulbs
4x9w 1100 lumen 6000k LED Bulbs
Total = 64.4w, 7600 lumens
118 lumens/watt
Goal:64g
Medium:1/2 peat moss, 1/2 perlite
Method:Vertical Scrog
Strain: Pineapple Express (Bagseed), Unknown (Bagseed)

Some of the bulbs I bought along the way.

6/6 seeds popped putting them straight into cup with a plastic bag over them for humidity. I easily killed about 50 seedlings in my attempts to start my 2nd grow by putting them in plastic bags in paper towels. I think I'll always put them straight in cups from now on.

That's just 1 of my grow boxes. I might bright back a grow box that I made out of a 5 gallon bucket for cloning/breeding if things go smoothly in the PC case.

Last edited:

MrCopyZ

I would suggest starting seeds only based on moon phases.

As well as recommend a nice warm place when you do it... somewhere in the upper 70s. On top of a warm electronic device does nice for me. I would recommend somehow getting to a clone situation though and run things 12/12 as often as possible if not nonstop in their.

I think a Micro drbud would be cool 4 u.

Killkingkong

I would suggest starting seeds only based on moon phases.

As well as recommend a nice warm place when you do it... somewhere in the upper 70s. On top of a warm electronic device does nice for me. I would recommend somehow getting to a clone situation though and run things 12/12 as often as possible if not nonstop in their.

I think a Micro drbud would be cool 4 u.

My problem was too much heat actually. I would put them into the baggies, they would crack and then nothing. All of the ones in the cups right now have cracked and sprouted long tap roots, they should all be standing tall in a few days.

Sorry for not explaining my design better but I plan to do a scrog to full take advantage of the light (all my lights are also directional, so no wasted lumens!). This is an old pic with the original CFL (not LEDs like I'm using now)

And this is the 5 gallon bucket that I plan to make into a clone/seedling chamber (it's just collecting dust right now)

MrCopyZ

Would it turn any colors where the seed was? Their are a few different fungi that attack cannabis seeds. I have seen Orange and Purple commonly when I have the issue.
It seems odd they would just crack and then nothing... I mean... whats cracking it. Ya know?

Killkingkong

Would it turn any colors where the seed was? Their are a few different fungi that attack cannabis seeds. I have seen Orange and Purple commonly when I have the issue.
It seems odd they would just crack and then nothing... I mean... whats cracking it. Ya know?

Yeah! there was always this green mold growing around the seeds. I went through so many that I just gave up on using the bags and cut back on the heat and everything seems to be going smooth. The plan is to clone the pineapple express plants (I assume they hermied during their grow and the seeds are feminized) and keep that cut for future grows/seeds

MrCopyZ

Well the bag is to insure a humid environment. Which is really all you want for the seeds IMO. Something similar to how we treat clones will sprout a seed. The fungi is bad. It could have been a contaminate in the bag. Did you use the same one every time? I always use different bags. Also handling the seeds is not advised, although I do it I just try to do so minimally and with clean hands.

I am glad to hear everything is running smoother for you now though. Them damn beans are expensive and hard to come by, just ask Jack.

Killkingkong

Well the bag is to insure a humid environment. Which is really all you want for the seeds IMO. Something similar to how we treat clones will sprout a seed. The fungi is bad. It could have been a contaminate in the bag. Did you use the same one every time? I always use different bags. Also handling the seeds is not advised, although I do it I just try to do so minimally and with clean hands.

I am glad to hear everything is running smoother for you now though. Them damn beans are expensive and hard to come by, just ask Jack.

Yeah, I ordered 3 times from the seed boutique. I killed my first 2 orders, and never got the 3rd. So I gave up on buying genetics for the time being lol. The pineapple express that I got some of the bag seeds from was pretty decent (It had a chemical taste though) so hopefully those 2 plants will flourish. I think I might use the PC for those 2 and put the rest in the bucket to grow.

So to stay true to the thread title, here's a portable air freshener that I built. It's a cup with holes drilled into it for ventilation. On the inside are water absorbing crystals (they're can also be used in your grow medium to decrease your watering amounts). For my freshener I pure a diluted mixture of ONA on the crystals so they absorb the smell. The fan pushes the smell around the room. I stole this idea from a thread I saw on here a few years ago, I just made it "portable".

I want to point out that i don't actually use this to stop the grow smell, but rather because I smoke a ton of cigars throughout the day and hate my room smelling like cigars.

Killkingkong

My apologizes for the lack of updates. I'm still going through seeds like crazy. I'd estimate that I've killed around 50 seedlings at this point. I managed to get 1 seed out of the seedling stage and I have that one vegging under 2x42w (2800L each) CFLs in my bucket grow, so I'll show that one off. I plan on adding 2 more plants in there and blumat setup to auto feed.

Top View:

Side View:

Roots:

In Grow Bucket:

Killkingkong

Things are looking pretty good in both boxes right now. I finally figured out the reason I was killing so many seeds in coco. Apparently you have to ph your water for coco even if it's during the seedling stage and you're using distilled water. My first grow was a soil run with miracle grow soil and I pretty much just used distilled water without testing PH for about a month. So now that's behind me and I have some nice pictures to show.

Here's an update on the plant I showed last week after some training:

Here's the 3 best looking newer plants:

2 newer plants still recovering from PH problems from earlier (the new growth looks fine though):

2 seedlings that i started that are looking pretty awful right now (I only need 1 of those to survive so I can have 4 plants in my pc and 3 in my bucket):

Group shot of the PC grow:

seems like you are making things more complicated then need be.If youve killed 50 seedlings something is going on.Get some soil put it in a cup and plant the seed.Lightly water and leave alone..easy as pie

Killkingkong

seems like you are making things more complicated then need be.If youve killed 50 seedlings something is going on.Get some soil put it in a cup and plant the seed.Lightly water and leave alone..easy as pie

Or i can simply learn to measure ph before watering in coco...as you can see the plants look fine once water with the correct ph

Killkingkong

Things are going well. I'm out of the seedling stage, which is great, since I suck at starting seeds. The plants filled out a lot since the last set of pictures. Most of them were becoming root bound in their small plastic cups, so I transplanted all of them into their "big girl" containers. Both of those struggling seedlings that I had survived so instead of putting 3 plants in my grow bucket I put all 4 and I'm not going to use the automated ceramic feeder system I bought. If anything I'll wait until the sexes show and if i need to leave for a few days, just put them in containers and bottom feed. I turned the bucket to 12/12 on monday (4/7/14) and I added those other 3 plants in there on wednesday (4/9/14). The 4 plants in my PC are still on 24/0 light. Hopefully I'll start training them under the screen soon and start flowering shortly after.

Killkingkong

Things are going well for the most part. I pulled one of the plants in my bigger PC grow because its looked horrible compared to all the other plants and I didn't want to spend the time figuring out that specifc plants needs, plus it was sharing a pot.

I also built a new pc grow box this week with an idea that's been floating around in my head for a while. I used the guide to hooking up a computer power supply to a power strip. I won't lie, this case is much smaller than I thought it would be. I might be possible to grow in it, but you would have to start 12/12 immediately and have a pretty shallow pot. This case makes me think how much space my bucket grow saves. I'm able to fit 4 pots in my bucket, but i doubt I could grow 4 females in that bucket at once.

Killkingkong

Everything is still going well, feeding everything at full strength maxibloom and some pro-tekt silica. I changed the design of my newest pc again to be vertical but I don't have any pics of that since I changed that design this morning after taking all the other pictures.

Inside the bucket grow:

Plant 1 from the bucket:

Plant 2 from the bucket:

Can anyone tell me why plant 2 has dead branches in the middle? It should be much full in the center, but about 3 branches died

Killkingkong

Ok, here are pics from the new vertical design in my small PC. I think this might be the most efficient use of light in a pc case this small. I'm using bagseeds, so I can't say anything about the strain or even the sex at the moment, but I think 2 females grown in this setup and trained maybe a vertical screen could be very efficient.

Killkingkong

So things finally took a bad turn. Hopefully that gets all the mistakes out the way. I woke up this morning and checked on my boxes only to find the ventilation system for my small desktop box was turned off because one of the leads to the power adapter had fallen out. So the plants in that box look pretty bad, but hopefully they can bounce back.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

the fan power adapter which caused the fans to not run over night.
picture.php

Killkingkong

Things in my full tower led/cfl box are going great. I know my design is pretty convoluted, but it's working exactly how I planned. Training is annoying at time, but it allows me to use the full potential of the lights. Hopefully I get lucky and get all females since I may have lost those 2 plants in my small pc due to heat. The plants in my big PC should be showing sex this week.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts