What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Golden Tiger

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
looks really great and tasty.
ive just ordered some GT too and some and Malawi.
perfect partners for my 30% cup winning Copenhagen Kush for a hopefully good hybrid cross and hopefully a perfect cashcropper ;)

Thanks for your support @XLNordic :yes: Our Malawi is indeed the ACE most suitable genetics if you are breeding for most extreme THC contents of 30 % and a bit more.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I cut most of the 2nd version tigers at 14 weeks my favourite I haven’t cut yet, the heat in my house is like 30-35c so taking a bit longer from heat stress I think the clones would be closer to 12-13. This is the Malawi leaning pheno

Overall I’m very happy with Ace i haven’t grown a pure Sativa heirloom / landrace before. I learned a lot from this it was a fun experience.

Congrats on your harvest @Fennecfox ! Glad you have found the experience rewarding :giggle: Excellent looking flowers and resins, i bet they are going to beat minds hard. Curious to learn more about the expression of your favorite, late finisher!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I’ve been doing battle with this GT in veg for over 10 weeks, she was NOT happy inside a tent. Was crowded with a bunch of other stuff in a 4x4, hungry one week, nute burned the next, just generally meh….Moved her outside and she perked right up. Plan is to clone her and try to flower inside a 4x4 with a purple paki haze that I’ve got going.

Welcome to Golden Tiger thread FJ2000 :) A pleasure to meet your GT girl. Looks pretty happy after being moved outdoors. Her structure has Malawi influence with the strong bearing and Meao Thai as well with those reddish stems

Golden Tiger is a low demanding strain for the grower, meaning it can thrive easily and vigorously without much ferts or attentions during growth stage, she just likes strong light intensity, a well prepared organic soil mix and warm-hot temps. She doesn't like sudden strong ec inputs-increases when they are not necessary.

Less is more with this genetics, although advanced sativa growers will know how to gentle increase the feeding from end of stretching till peak of flowering production to get best yields and best quality finished flowers, grown without excesses, neither with severe lack of nutrients during last third of flowering.

XLNordic

Thanks for your support @XLNordic :yes: Our Malawi is indeed the ACE most suitable genetics if you are breeding for most extreme THC contents of 30 % and a bit more.
That cross, Copenhagen Kush x Malawi might turn out so evil that i, as an only occasional smoker, am afraid to smoke it myself 😂

What im looking for is the ultimate cashcropper with extreme potency, high yield and tasty.
Theres many growers supplying the market in my part of the country so i need a cashcropper that makes theirs look like brickweed 😉
I cant wait to see if it fits the bill.

I already have the Copenhagen Kush popped and i told my local seed pusher to get me some Malawi and Golden Tiger so i can germinate them as soon as June paycheck arrives

Chuckeye

flowers are indeed chugging along nicely there @Chuckeye ;)
How was your feeding regime and ecs during flowering ?
Not sure if I mentioned, I'm also growing a Malawi (Ace), a Wild Thailand (World of Seeds/Herbies) and a Apple Betty (60% Sativa/Herbies).

At day 29 of 83 I had slowly upped my feed of Mega Crop one part to 6.5g/gallon, well below the 7.5g/gallon my last grow of Lambs Bread, Durban Poison, Double Chocolate and Green Crack all received for their last month of flower with no ill effects !

But my Wild Thailand and the Golden Tiger to a lesser extent started showing curled up leaf tips follow by a creeping necrosis. The Malawi and Apple Betty seemed just fine...

Having never seen nutrient burn with Mega Crop I wasn't sure if it was the nutrients lacking something or just too much. I have burnt the shyt out a plant with Advanced Nutrients so I do know what that looks like ;)

It was the curled up tips that threw me so I switched to GH MaxBloom and lowered the feed to 5g/gallon which is where I am at now and the necrosis has stopped !

This is when the problem started....

Day 29 The Girls 2 Apr 23.jpg

And three days ago....

Day 71 The Girls 12 May 23.jpg

BTW > I usually don't measure ppm's except once in a while out of curiosity !

With Advanced Nutrients PH perfect Micro/Grow/Bloom 1250 was Way too much. On the fifth day in a row with that feed All the fans were burnt. Fourth day, nothing. Overnight, burnt.

Flushed and backed off to ~ 900 and all was well. This was a Early Miss auto in a 2 gallon plastic pot with ProMix HP. She still yielded 13.2 oz !

Betty five 16 Jan 2021 web.jpg

So it appears, in hindsight, the sweet spot with Mega Crop one part or GH Bloom is also ~900.

That translates to 6.5g/gallon....

Cheers, eh ?

Last edited:

FJ2000

Welcome to Golden Tiger thread FJ2000 :) A pleasure to meet your GT girl. Looks pretty happy after being moved outdoors. Her structure has Malawi influence with the strong bearing and Meao Thai as well with those reddish stems

Golden Tiger is a low demanding strain for the grower, meaning it can thrive easily and vigorously without much ferts or attentions during growth stage, she just likes strong light intensity, a well prepared organic soil mix and warm-hot temps. She doesn't like sudden strong ec inputs-increases when they are not necessary.

Less is more with this genetics, although advanced sativa growers will know how to gentle increase the feeding from end of stretching till peak of flowering production to get best yields and best quality finished flowers, grown without excesses, neither with severe lack of nutrients during last third of flowering.
Thanks for you input Dubi!!! So based on what you see you think this is GT from the Old killer x Meao seed stock? I just bought the seeds as GT feminized and assumed it was from the 2nd generation when you used 2 Malawian crossed with the 2 Thai. Thanks so much! I geek out on stuff like this.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi FJ2000 first Golden Tiger version (Old Malawi Killer x Meao Thai) is sold out already for many years, so what you are growing is Golden Tiger version 2 which includes: Old Malawi Killer, New Malawi Killer, Meao Thai and Koh Chang Thai, which still can show plants leaning to one or other parent plant depending on the individual.

musigny23

Here is my Golden Tiger from a feminized seed. I put in a prime spot and it's doing well. I love the exotic long droopy look of the sun leaves. An ACE classic.
I have four going from regular seeds but only one has confirmed female so far. The other three haven't shown any preflower action at all. That's one thing about GT regular (and other tropical types) that drives me crazy. In the temporary bags I have them in, they're maxing out, approaching getting rootbound, and maybe even stunting vegging a bit, but no sign of sex yet. Despite that, I still love them, especially the Thai biased newer version. Photos eventually. They were started later than this one.

7supEux.jpg

CaptainLucky

Congrats on your fabulous and well deserved indoor sativa harvest @Chuckeye:tiphat:excellent gardening job!

Thanks @musigny23 your passion for Golden Tiger is much appreciated, hopefully you get a high female ratio from your 4 regular plants from seed. Have a great outdoor season! ☀️
@dubi I have a GT question, what week of flowering do you recommend for kicking up the nutes? Thanks 🙏 CL🍀

Last edited:

Ras Kali Rasta

Beautiful Ladies, how long have they been showing signs of flowering? CL🍀:watchplant:

Thanks, mate. They have been flowering for 8 weeks now. They started flowering 6 weeks from germination. I guess they will be done early to mid August, if the cold weather doesn't slow down flowering too much. We had the coldest May in decades this year. There were more frosts than we usually get in a whole winter. The Tiger girls handled the cold nights like champions (with the overhead protection, of course). The days have been warm, though, with temps mostly in the mid 20s up until the last few days.

I'm wondering how they will go finishing in an increasing photoperiod? I know that the general rule of thumb is that as long as they are due to finish before spring equinox, they will be fine, but I don't know if this applies to long flowering strains.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
@dubi I have a GT question, what week of flowering do you recommend for kicking up the nutes? Thanks 🙏 CL🍀

Good question. Keep the feeding for growth stage until around 4th- 5th week of flowering when stretching is over and they start to define budsites, then increase ec, lower down N and increase PK, then another increase of ec when the flowers are producing most of their volume and weight in their second reflowering around 8 weeks of flowering, keep feeding stable until they start to ripe their last third reflowering, then start flushing until harvest time.