Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > I used systemic pesticide , should I throw it away ?

Thread Title Search
I used systemic pesticide , should I throw it away ? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2018, 08:25 AM #1
baxbax

baxbax is on a distinguished road
I used systemic pesticide , should I throw it away ?

Hello , one month a go I treated one plant with pesticide call : Thiamethoxam , which is systemic pesticide and stay in leaft and plant juice for some time , It worked great and killed aphids and chewing pests , after one month of application still plant has resistance to pests . I have 4 month left to harvest , I have concern is this safe to harvest and smoke it 5 month after I used systemic pesticide like thiamethoxam ? manufacture site says it's preharvest days for tobacco is 14 days , but i'm not sure for cannabis

baxbax is offline Quote

Old 06-21-2018, 08:27 AM #2
baxbax

baxbax is offline Quote

Old 06-21-2018, 10:20 AM #3
Natural high

Natural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud of
I think you have nothing to worry about as tobacco would be a good comparison in that it is smoked not eaten. 5 months is 150 days so you should be fine.
Natural high is offline Quote

Old 06-21-2018, 11:12 AM #4
Palindrome

Palindrome has much to be proud ofPalindrome has much to be proud ofPalindrome has much to be proud ofPalindrome has much to be proud ofPalindrome has much to be proud ofPalindrome has much to be proud ofPalindrome has much to be proud ofPalindrome has much to be proud ofPalindrome has much to be proud ofPalindrome has much to be proud ofPalindrome has much to be proud of
With systemic pesdicies, it's a good idea to look at the half-life time.

Looked that stuff up, and it got a half-life time in soil at 229 days. Thats a long time, it stays in the plant.

Normaly I would not use a pesticide on a crop, with a half-life time above the flowertime.
Like Floramit for spidermites, got a half life time around 57 days as I recall. And still I'd only use it in veg, never in flower.

>>Half-Life
Half-life is defined as the time (in days, weeks or years) required for half of the pesticide present after an application to break down into degradation products. This time is often expressed as a range (for example, 1-3 days, 2-4 years, etc.) because the rate of pesticide breakdown depends on a variety of factors including temperature, soil pH, soil microbe content and whether or not the pesticide is exposed to light, water and oxygen. It is worth noting that many of the breakdown products themselves are toxic and may have significant half-lives as well. There are several different types of half-lives:

Soil half-life: The amount of time required for half of the pesticide to degrade in soil. This half-life is governed by the types of soil organisms that are present that can break down the pesticide, the soil type (e.g., sand, loam, clay), pH, and temperature. The California Department of Pesticide Regulation has determined that pesticides with an aerobic soil half-life greater than 690 days or an anaerobic soil half-life greater than 9 days have potential to contaminate groundwater.
Photolysis half-life: The amount of time required for half of the pesticide to degrade from exposure to light. The California Department of Pesticide Regulation has determined that pesticides with a hydrolysis half-life greater than 14 days have potential to contaminate groundwater.
Hydrolysis half-life: The amount of time required for half of the pesticide to degrade from reaction with water. The California Department of Pesticide Regulation has determined that pesticides with a hydrolysis half-life greater than 14 days have potential to contaminate groundwater.
For more about how California Department of Pesticide Regulation uses these physical properties to regulate pesticides as groundwater contaminants, see the California Regulations page.<< https://www.pesticideinfo.org/Docs/re....html#Halflife

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:10 PM #5
baxbax

I doomed badly by this shit , could transplant help ? plant was in 7 gallon fabric pot when I foliar sprayed with thiamethoxam , recently I transplant it to 25 gallon pot .
baxbax is offline Quote

Old 06-21-2018, 12:16 PM #6
Teddybrae

Teddybrae is a glorious beacon of lightTeddybrae is a glorious beacon of lightTeddybrae is a glorious beacon of lightTeddybrae is a glorious beacon of lightTeddybrae is a glorious beacon of lightTeddybrae is a glorious beacon of lightTeddybrae is a glorious beacon of lightTeddybrae is a glorious beacon of lightTeddybrae is a glorious beacon of lightTeddybrae is a glorious beacon of lightTeddybrae is a glorious beacon of light
There's a formula that has never failed me and I am not young. it is this:

If in doubt chuck it out!

and I see by the title of yr post that you have doubts about what you've done ...

cheers from Oz!

"... Earth grows People ..." Allan Watts

"The key ... seems to always be in Balance and Diversity" ICMag Member Sticky Sat
Teddybrae is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:47 PM #7
baxbax

you think I could take clones of it ? is it safe ?
baxbax is offline Quote

Old 06-21-2018, 03:16 PM #8
Natural high

Natural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxbax View Post
you think I could take clones of it ? is it safe ?
The withholding period is 14 days and you plan to harvest in 150 days. Of course it will be safe.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:38 PM #9
Granger2

Granger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to behold
Natural,
What makes you so sure? Its half life is 229 days. That means that after 229 days half of the pesticide is still in the plant. -granger

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:50 PM #10
Natural high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granger2 View Post
Natural,
What makes you so sure? Its half life is 229 days. That means that after 229 days half of the pesticide is still in the plant. -granger
The half life in plant tissue is usually considerably less than in soil as the molecule is metabolised by the plant. Thiamethoxam is only mildly toxic to mammals in general, and moderately toxic if swallowed. The withholding periods for tomatoes and citrus are 6 and 7 weeks respectively, and these are eaten. Tobacco is 14 days after spraying as previously mentioned. Considering the time frame is around 150 days before the plant will be consumed, I believe the plant (and the cuttings) would be safe.

4 members found this post helpful.