What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cutting leaves indoor

Gio88

Hi! I'm growing my royal gorilla feminized (50% indica 50% sativa) indoor and now I'm at the beginning of the flowering phase, considering i've read opposite opinions about the matter.... What do you think about cutting leaves increase the harvest and to give more light to the plant? Is it useful or just useless? There a way to do it? Thank you

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Gio,
Always keep in mind that, compared to the real outdoor conditions, the light source in an indoor grow does not move. So it can be benefincial to remove some big fan leaves to allow more light to get to the other parts of the plant otherwise in the shadow.
However, it is crucial (and individual) when to do it... I normally weed the bottom branches out a bit in veg and then, after the flower stretch is over, I take care of the big sails, so the budsites get more light. At this point I also remove all lower branches which I don't want to grow out to carry bud as it would be mostly larf...
Hope this helps!
Best,
CC

Gio88

Hey Gio,
Always keep in mind that, compared to the real outdoor conditions, the light source in an indoor grow does not move. So it can be benefincial to remove some big fan leaves to allow more light to get to the other parts of the plant otherwise in the shadow.
However, it is crucial (and individual) when to do it... I normally weed the bottom branches out a bit in veg and then, after the flower stretch is over, I take care of the big sails, so the budsites get more light. At this point I also remove all lower branches which I don't want to grow out to carry bud as it would be mostly larf...
Hope this helps!
Best,
CC

Thank you!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'm a big fan of Low Stress Training them, ie bending them over and tying them down. It opens the insides up to lots of light and redistributes the auxin from the top of the plant to lower nodes, meaning you can get more colas. Each individual cola won't be as big as the 1 would have been if you let the plant grow naturally, but there are way more of them. It's almost always better to tuck a leaf under something than to cut it off entirely. There is good thread over this way
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=6090
This one of my favorite plant that I LST'd.

Gio88

I'm a big fan of Low Stress Training them, ie bending them over and tying them down. It opens the insides up to lots of light and redistributes the auxin from the top of the plant to lower nodes, meaning you can get more colas. Each individual cola won't be as big as the 1 would have been if you let the plant grow naturally, but there are way more of them. It's almost always better to tuck a leaf under something than to cut it off entirely. There is good thread over this way
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=6090
This one of my favorite plant that I LST'd.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77886&pictureid=1923545&thumb=1]View Image [/URL][URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77886&pictureid=1923546&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77886&pictureid=1923544&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Thanks i will tuck single branches instead of cutting leaves!!

Gio88

Suggestion: considering I have a 150w lamp and I’m already doing the lst, what can I do to improve my flowering? I’m focusing on giving every light to every inflorescence

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you'Re growing in a small crowded box, getting rid of the big fan leaves in mid flower will not only get more light to the budsites but also minimise the risk of mold from too high humidity in the box/cab/tent.
CC

Gio88

If you'Re growing in a small crowded box, getting rid of the big fan leaves in mid flower will not only get more light to the budsites but also minimise the risk of mold from too high humidity in the box/cab/tent.
CC

It won’t stress the plant? Thank you

Sconeofark

So none of you have a timelapse camera.

There are several reasons not to trim flowering plants.

This is a full flowering cycle in time lapse.

[YOUTUBEIF]MNwsXFWpMWg[/YOUTUBEIF]

If you watch the leaves as the canopy fills in you can see them not only moving up and down as the plant breaths, but twisting around each other for light.

Learned allot about how plants work using timelapse.

These plants favor top leaves and will self prune from the bottom up if there is not enough light to support the lower parts of the plant.

Us humans don't think like plants do, so we cut out of the higher priority top leaves in hopes of saving the less important bottom growth.

Also plant stress.

When you trim on a plant, it thinks it's being grazed on by something, and since plants can't move they respond by changing their own biology and chemistry. Usually by tasting bad, which is kinda counterproductive unless you are extracting.

I never touch flowering plants.

picture.php

And I don't seem to have any yield problems.

Gio88

So none of you have a timelapse camera.

There are several reasons not to trim flowering plants.

This is a full flowering cycle in time lapse.

[YOUTUBEIF]MNwsXFWpMWg[/YOUTUBEIF]

If you watch the leaves as the canopy fills in you can see them not only moving up and down as the plant breaths, but twisting around each other for light.

Learned allot about how plants work using timelapse.

These plants favor top leaves and will self prune from the bottom up if there is not enough light to support the lower parts of the plant.

Us humans don't think like plants do, so we cut out of the higher priority top leaves in hopes of saving the less important bottom growth.

Also plant stress.

When you trim on a plant, it thinks it's being grazed on by something, and since plants can't move they respond by changing their own biology and chemistry. Usually by tasting bad, which is kinda counterproductive unless you are extracting.

I never touch flowering plants.

View Image

And I don't seem to have any yield problems.

So do you suggest not to touch the leaves right?

ElGato

Veteran
Suggestion: considering I have a 150w lamp and I’m already doing the lst, what can I do to improve my flowering? I’m focusing on giving every light to every inflorescence

if you want to really improve your yields, run a ScroG setup. And don't be afraid to trim some fans, with a small light like you are working with, it's essential to trim a lot of the fan leaves

picture.php

mj

Gio88

if you want to really improve your yields, run a ScroG setup. And don't be afraid to trim some fans, with a small light like you are working with, it's essential to trim a lot of the fan leaves

View Image

mj

Thank you, I don’t understand why people are divided about this matter

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sconeofark, I can't follow...
Cannabis plants' defense mechanism is not bad taste, it is the cannabinoids in the resin glands. Following your logic would mean stressing a plant will result in higher resin production...
Two times to defoliate: In veg when things get too humid due to too much plant matter in too little grow space and in flower once stretch is over as after that the big sails are no longer needed and better get more light to more budsites for better yields... I have not invented anything, but there are good reasons people with small grow spaces defoliate...always within reason though and not for defoliation's sake

CC

Sconeofark

Plants defend themselves in lots of ways.

What is it that stimulates resin and so on. I seem to be getting plenty of it without stressing the plants. I think the intense light we use is what does that, not someone plucking leaves out of the canopy.

In veg it doesn't matter if you stress the plants as much they are much less fragile. I consider anything done in veg training.

To me, if your plants are not getting enough light below a certain point in the canopy, then train the plants to fit into the sweet spot rather than trying to fix it in flower.

And like I always say it all depends on your application.

I am doing extreme craft on a small scale. Get me into a 20,000 sq canopy I'll totally change up as needed.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I used to just let them fall off naturally with a fade in the end. They send the energy from the leaf to the buds and make them stink more. Leaves store food for the flowers. I've tried it both ways over the last 50 years. In the end i left them alone to fall off.

IMG_3155.jpg

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks i will tuck single branches instead of cutting leaves!!

Yes! Yes. Autos, given their short life span still draw nutrients through leaves. LST as APH said!!! Excellent tip/advice!
Tuck and bend (gently so branches don't snap). String works well.

SCROG, as seen in another post- well done!

Good luck, Gio!!!!