What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shame on you TH seeds, incest seed lovers

dire_wolf

OP's been reading old "forum science" from years ago apparently. Fems are no more likely to hermaphrodite in my eyes. Grown many and have gotten one maybe. Multiple from regular seeds (though I've grown more regular seeds in my lifetime).

JockBudman

For what it's worth, I've run both regs and fems and so far only the fems have hermied on me. I've done maybe 40 or so reg beans and about the same of fems. I still grow the fems because not all of them do turn and I get mainly fems as freebies but I do so knowing they may end up pollinating my grow. Usually I just pick the pods off when they show up and deal with a few seeded buds. I actually just had to do this with an ace Kali China that suffered with heat and a timer glitch. None of the regs or other fems were affected.
I never do a seed run for my breeding with fems in the room.

As to the initial post about TH seeds - I've done a few of their strains and the one that really went bad was strawberry glue. But then look at the lineage, it's a mess. Maybe fems made from reg bred plants won't herm in the first generation but start crossing them all in together with mums coming from S1 bag seed etc and you really are selecting for that trait.

:tiphat:

little-soldier

This thread deserves a bump because TH seeds are still selling ONLY feminised bubblegum seeds. I believe I have the last 5 packs of regular bubblegum that will ever exist. I am going to grow 4 packs soon and keep one pack untill the day TH Seeds needs them again so I can sell them 1 seed for a million $ and rub it in their face. Maybe I'll take their soul too, who knows how I will feel then..

YukonKronic

Shitty breeding is shitty breeding. Fems or Regs.
Progeny. Testing.
It takes one extra grow to discover if the seeds you made are crap. If they are don’t sell em.
Period.

Feminized is absolutely awesome if it’s done right.
Try ACE seeds Kali China if you doubt. Or Bubba Kush x PCK.
And if you still get herms no matter how good the breeder then check yourself and grow it right. Poor conditions cause hermaphroditism as often as bad breeding I would guess..

Ready4

Veteran
A whole lot of people do not understand that on many strains, you need to chop all those lower crappy branches off the plants = they yield almost nothing and are a huge pain to trim. Trimming off these little crappy branches also makes the other branches yield a little more. Way too many awesome plants getting tossed for cranking out a few seeds.
Try running that strain, chopping the crappy lower branches off, and see if it "herms" at all. I have done that with several over the years - no seeds after cleaning up the crappy branches.
And many of those plants show no male flowers when grown outdoors.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
And if you still get herms no matter how good the breeder then check yourself and grow it right. Poor conditions cause hermaphroditism as often as bad breeding I would guess..
This deserves repeating. Keep in mind, cannabis is genetically hermie. Given enough stress, she'll strip that skirt off and let some male bits hang out. The more selective breeding is done for 'stable' parents, the more difficult this becomes for the next generation. This does not make it a genetic impossibility.

Considering how many stressors will turn cannabis, I'd be very surprised if *every* breeder was culling hermies resulting from *every* type of stressor yet. Does anyone even know this yet? Completely possible for someone to breed a strain for several generations and never see a hermie, yet many other (more stressful method) growers do. This is why I repeatedly urge stress testing when femming. :)

bushed

This deserves repeating. Keep in mind, cannabis is genetically hermie. Given enough stress, she'll strip that skirt off and let some male bits hang out. The more selective breeding is done for 'stable' parents, the more difficult this becomes for the next generation. This does not make it a genetic impossibility.

Considering how many stressors will turn cannabis, I'd be very surprised if *every* breeder was culling hermies resulting from *every* type of stressor yet. Does anyone even know this yet? Completely possible for someone to breed a strain for several generations and never see a hermie, yet many other (more stressful method) growers do. This is why I repeatedly urge stress testing when femming. :)

Im in no way a 'breeder' but my opinion is that if a plant is perfect or even great in every other way its not really a big deal if theres a few nanna's at the end. Although I do think that seed sellers should be transparent if this tendency exists.

little-soldier

My experience with all my fems have been crappy plus I have seen mutations in all of them which I have never seen in any regular. Never had an issue with my regular seeds so goes to show that I don't need to check myself but breeders do. Also I have noticed that the female seeds are not as close to the original as many people may think. Again probably have to work their strains a lot more but I think most companies don't care, they just want the dough without the hard work. Regulars are the REAL DEAL PLUS you have a chance to find an even better pheno as regular have more phenoes to choose from. If you guys want what you pay for then go for regular, if you want a knockoff, go for feminised. Similar but not as close to the original as regular in my many years of growing. BUT in the end I am a hater so you know what they say. Haters will always hate. But I do it with a passion cause we are already getting screwed here and there and I can't take it anymore. Speak up or shut up, wolves and sheeps, which one are you?

T

TakenByTheSky

I've never really had a bad experience with fems myself except for maybe a very few herms but not really any worse than regular male/female seeds that are also prone to herming because of the genetics used.

If the parents or parent used is prone to herming the seeds have a high chance of doing it to and it doesnt matter what "breeder" made them.

Look at connoisseur genetics, many of their varieties herms are par for the course but no one seems to complain.

Herms happen when inferior parents are used but this is a symptom of the market demanding every hot clone be made into seed form. Some of these clones that every body wants just don't make good parents on a scientific level.

But really you all might as well get used to fems, because as legalization spreads and draconian plant number restrictions are imposed fems are going to eat up an even greater share of the market. In states where a home grower is only allowed 10 or lesss many are not going to want to deal with growing males.

little-soldier

The fact that you did not get any seeds or didn't see any banana does not mean your plant is not a hermie. A plant with no issue will have white pistils untill the last 2-3 weeks of flower where they will start turning brown. All my feminised plant pistils started turning brown half way through flowering. Some of them had seeds while others didn't. The fact that pistils are turning brown early will diminish harvest and maybe affect potency (not sure about that one). SO if YOU think your feminised seeds have no issue think again. Look at the pistils halfway through flower and then try regular seeds and you WILL notice that pistils only start turning color near the end of flower.

bushed

The fact that you did not get any seeds or didn't see any banana does not mean your plant is not a hermie. A plant with no issue will have white pistils untill the last 2-3 weeks of flower where they will start turning brown. All my feminised plant pistils started turning brown half way through flowering. Some of them had seeds while others didn't. The fact that pistils are turning brown early will diminish harvest and maybe affect potency (not sure about that one). SO if YOU think your feminised seeds have no issue think again. Look at the pistils halfway through flower and then try regular seeds and you WILL notice that pistils only start turning color near the end of flower.

I prefer regular beans to, mostly due to the hybrid vigor you get from crossing but this is a classic example of correlation does not imply causation.

I can assure you that sativa and sativa leaning hybrids of regular seeds will have pistils turning brown and reflowering with white pistils throughout flower. In fact the only plant I grow that doesn't do this is a fast flowering indica that came from a freebie female seed.

YukonKronic

This is wrong. I was going to explain why but I recall you being pretty argumentative in other threads and I’m just not into it. Check around. It’s pretty common knowledge how the various varieties of cannabis reach maturity and senescence.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
picture.php

I loved their MK Ultra.

:dunno:

Brother Nature

I remember getting a Burmese Kush female seed as a freebie a few years back. That plant made some of the best full melt bubble I've ever had, not a banana in sight either, wish I would have kept her strictly for the hash. Have heard a lot of dodgy things about TH seeds, but never in relation to hermies, only business practices. But hey, the seed game has always been seedy.

little-soldier

I grew M39, freezeland, jean-guy, mango, blue dream from 3 different breeders, king afghan, purple power, Ice, quebec gold, blueberry hashplant, white berry, chemdawg G13, and the list goes on. All regular had white pistils untill the last few weeks (with the exception of one here or there but barely any). All female had 50% pistils going brown halfway through flower and overall nugs were smaller. My 20 years of experience tells me female seeds are proned to hermie. Some will have seeds and/or bananas others won't but I suspect the plant is still polinating itself because of the early brown pistils. Plus, breeding with feminised seeds is not recomended and will only bring more problems. I bet you those seed companies were laughing all the way to the bank when they decided to stop selling regular and go with feminised only.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
One common hermi trigger is a drop in pH after physical bulking quits. I've found a few strains which hermie when subjected to very low pH for a bit.

Are the pics in your albums representative of how you grew the strains which hermied?

little-soldier

No, those pics are from my recirculating low pressure aeroponic system and Heath Robinsons tree grow. I never posted pics for security reasons but got my licence recently so i'll start posting more soon when the room will be fully ready and dialed in. I luv trees :)