What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damn. Finally really happened. I'm old.

OkThen

General question to anyone, Do you have an idea for your check out?
I like to make it to 70. If I could avoid old folks home would be my preference.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
General question to anyone, Do you have an idea for your check out?
I like to make it to 70. If I could avoid old folks home would be my preference.
Ya, go to bed don't wake up. Normally associated with cardiac arrest. Cool, just don't let it be a heart attack LOL

mr.brunch

Veteran
There was me sitting in some sound booth at the ear/nose and throat clinic in Kingston Hospital - with a switch I could operate with my thumb in my hand - and like some eager suicide bomber I pressed the button every time I heard a strange sound thru the headphones Mr Kamal the ear doctor was conjuring up on the other side of the soundproof room - thru a little window - Anyway to cut a long story short - I'm part deaf - and they recommended a HEARING AID!

*makes me think of old/deaf guys in years gone past with 'earhorns' - but I was assured that modern hearing aids are no-where near as obtrusive.

- must be getting old.

I feel your pain....
Im getting hearing aids and half-dentures next week...
damn that makes me feel old

OkThen

I remember visualizing as a teenager, myself an an old fart enjoying some herb in the rocking chair.
Reality is not far off the mark.
Blessings to all

WelderDan

Veteran
My uncle was a crotchety old bastard. I recently realized I'm pretty much just like him. I have no patience for stupid shit and I yell at people speeding down my street. I used to freaking hate speed bumps, but now I want one right in front of my house.

So I'm officially a crotchety old bastard, and I don't care. At least I don't drive 10 miles under the speed limit in the left lane with my turn signal on.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
They say you're only as old as you feel. So that must mean I'm 97? :woohoo:

i only feel old when getting up in the morning, or out of ANY seat i have sat in for a while. basically it is my hips & knees that are old. rest of me is just uncooperative & cranky...:tiphat:

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I have done my best to avoid this particular forum,thinking that participation is acceptance of my being old.But,this forum has a certain pull,like the comfy old chair that is hard to get out of once you have sat in it.

So it is with getting old.I'm not that fond of the whole doggone idea,but what is a guy gonna do?Take some solace that I am not alone,and that we are all now hurtling towards the inevitable.

So,it is my time to rage,rage against the dying of the light...etc.

Slim waxes poetic,then gets grumpy.

:biggrin:

F

Fermented

Here's a stat I read the other day...If you reach 65 years old, you have a 50% chance of living until you are 85 years old.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Hospital Today, definitely getting double-barrel hearing aids in the next week or two.
At least My eyes are holding up... swings and roundabouts, I suppose

dddaver

Veteran
I'm gettin cataract surgery. Seems like old guy shit.

They can do amazing stuff with the lens implants these days. Correcting for almost anything making you not need glasses, Even astigmatisms. But the best implants are pushing $5000.

The thing is, I have diplopia (double vision) and those lenses can't correct for that. So since I'd need to still wear glasses anyway I'll probably just get the basic surgery that Medicare pays for.

Growing old has it's own set of choices to make. None good. :biggrin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Damn, sorry man... any warning or just sneak up on you?

many folks never know they have had a heart attack or stroke until later. a "bad headache" or "indigestion" until Doc tells them otherwise. friend (now deceased) had 3 heart attacks he never knew about until Doc told him he needed a pacemaker...

doams

is there a moment in life when it suddenly hits you or is it a slow process getting to realize your really old?

I was always thinking and I am still thinking that all will be same when I am lets say 70

nothing changes just that number no pissing/shitting in sleep or these sort of things will happen why they would happen they dont have to happen its a myth and bs..

then one day your balls are swimming in cold toilet water and you now know?

its like 20cm between my balls and water now thats too long a distance impossible..

:D

edit: sorry if that balls part offended someone that was not the intent.

Last edited:

White Beard

Both. It’s a gradual breaking down of the body from a lifetime of use, and of poor sleep, poor nutrition, scant medical care, who knows, maybe substance overuse...

It is also a series of definite ‘well, fuck...’ moments: this first time something that never EVER hurt before suddenly hurts; when some motion, some action, some effort that has always ALWAYS worked suddenly doesn’t and now it not only hurts, but you’re injured; the moment when you catch yourself in mid-groan while standing and suddenly realize standing has become a much bigger deal than you remember. Finally losing the hair on top. Finally losing your teeth, your sex drive, your eyesight.

Maybe the big one is realizing that you’re definitely on the downhill, that you won’t “pull up” out of getting oldER, that they’re not going to LET you help push the car out of the road - and that your future suddenly looks a lot like where you are right now. Trying to about face at that spot on the road is beyond hard.

sshz

It's the bit by bit that's taking its toll on me.........bph, cataracts, moderate hearing loss, arthritis, weight gain, hair loss, asthma.........nothing serious or life threatening- just a slow, mildly painful decline at 63. Can't smoke anymore either after 40 years, gummies only these days. At least I've avoided the dreaded diabetes, which ever male in my family going back a few generations has died from.

Latest posts

Latest posts