What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Effects of Cannabis on the Reticular Activation System?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Did you know your CNS has a programmable bio-filter for incoming information? There is literally too much incoming data, from your senses, for your brain to absorb and process all of it. Among other things, our reticular activation system decides which bits of data to pay attention to, and which bits to let slide on by without notice. The reticular formation has neural nodes in a large number of areas of the brain.

Here's a quick video which explains it quite well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iPFtZENEq4

It's responsible for regulating consciousness, pain/sensation, breathing, wake/sleep and mood, and is considered one of the oldest portions of the brain. And here I just found out about it. Go figure.

So, my first question was (since this system has it's hands in just about every area of physiology I have issues with), what the heck effects does cannabis have on it? More specifically, I guess the question will come down to which terpene/terpene-profiles affect this system?

Wish I'd learned about this as a kid, what about you?
:tiphat:

Cvh

Supermod
Thanks for sharing. :)

I think psychedelics are a bit better suited for visualisation and self-reflection then Cannabis.
These are imo better to get 'insight'. Even better when you meditate at the same time.
Some call these the Teacher substances for this reason.

Think positive, be assertive but also respectful, show empathy, be social, do your best in school, work,...etc and keep both of your feet firmly on the ground. Enjoy life.

This is the road to succes.

Nam myoho renge kyo

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Douglas ...

Hi Douglas ...

Did you know your CNS has a programmable bio-filter for incoming information? ...

isn't it theorized that our natural Cannabinoid receptors are in place to specifically help regulate the flow of sensory perception? help me to understand more please...:listen2:

Douglas.Curtis

Thanks for sharing. :)

I think psychedelics are a bit better suited for visualisation and self-reflection then Cannabis.
Good information. :)

I more interested in the chemical interaction between terpenes, cannabinoids, and the reticular activation system.

This is the point where I realize I should have made 2 threads.
1. How cannabis effects the reticular activation system (this thread)
2. How cannabis effects regulatory functions of the reticular formation.

Bleah! I have much less focus the last few days, my apologies.

Galaxy420

Good information. :)

I more interested in the chemical interaction between terpenes, cannabinoids, and the reticular activation system.

This is the point where I realize I should have made 2 threads.
1. How cannabis effects the reticular activation system (this thread)
2. How cannabis effects regulatory functions of the reticular formation.

Bleah! I have much less focus the last few days, my apologies.

you can find cannabinoids mainstream even though they are not termed cannabinoids... they are known as pro resolving mediators

Douglas.Curtis

That's some interesting information there, thank you. :)
Yes, most of my issues revolve around inflammation of joints and brain tissue and these are in the foundation of those.

Galaxy420

That's some interesting information there, thank you. :)
Yes, most of my issues revolve around inflammation of joints and brain tissue and these are in the foundation of those.

after realizing biochemistry is 100% truth and presents so much identifiable possibility I just knew that cannabis suppressed research must have slipped past main stream barriers somehow and show in the curriculum... well, those resolving mediators are as close as I've found to present the info... hopefully really soon we can converge the known canna sciences with mainstream and make greater connections and complete the references to each other. denying canna sciences makes us look stupid as people and political sway over man and plant use cannot go but so far before man takes plants back

Douglas.Curtis

The next 20 years are going to be outright amAzing, as all these connections are made. :) Thank you again.

Latest posts

Latest posts