Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > Outdoor Hydro Herbs and Leafy Greens

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Outdoor Hydro Herbs and Leafy Greens Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2019, 05:55 PM #21
starke

starke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentPothead View Post
What's up with only having a few hydroton balls in those bottom ones?
I germed the seeds in a mix of about 70% vermiculite and 30% perlite because all the seeds were so tiny. When I transplanted into the solos the root systems were still tiny and I was afraid all hydroton would not have enough root contact so I transplanted into my normal Hempy perlite and hydroton mix. They will go from this into the straight hydroton.
“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ~Robert Wilensky

"Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world." (SuperWeed 2017)

"Always keep in mind that when the hearse pulls up to pick you up, there is no trunk or luggage rack on that bitch." (Author unknown)

My Ongoing Grow Diary: Starkes Story: An LED Tale Paused

Real Gorilla Seeds Sour Orange Diesel Tester Grow: (Completed 2/5/19)

browntrout's Tripleberry F2 Tester Grow: In Progress
starke is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:39 PM #22
Ganoderma
Hydronaut

Ganoderma is a survivorGanoderma is a survivorGanoderma is a survivorGanoderma is a survivorGanoderma is a survivorGanoderma is a survivorGanoderma is a survivorGanoderma is a survivorGanoderma is a survivorGanoderma is a survivorGanoderma is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
So a friend gets divorced and somehow the misses and I end up with some odd lumber and about 40 feet of four inch pvc left at our house. I could not stand the thought of putting the stuff in the landfill so I got to thinkin'...

...and came up with this out of the junk I had available:

View Image

View Image

Forty five plant sites. The "netcups" are solos that have had a close encounter with a soldering iron. Multiple times. For each cup. What a pain in the ass.

Using my old sump pump from feeding the ladies to push the nutes which will be Jacks and Calnit unless I find something better.

Planning on running some annual herbs and spinach to start. Maybe some leaf lettuce but it's a little warm here for that now. Probably in the fall.

The unit is located on the front porch and receives a mixture of full morning sun and partial afternoon shade.

Next step is to germ some seeds and veg until they are big enough to put in the cups. I'm already documenting a Grow Diary and a Tester Grow but I'm hoping to keep a running narrative going here as well, mostly for my own records so I can keep track of what is or is not working.

Next update when I have some plants in the cups. (This will take a minute.)

Peace,
starke

ps: I call the color scheme "Caribbean Soul meets Gay Pride...with a touch of 'Go Gators'". The grand-kids think it's cool anyway.
I love the colors, it make it very colorful compared the standard "PVC white".
Ganoderma is offline Quote

Old 04-23-2019, 08:07 PM #23
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
I germed the seeds in a mix of about 70% vermiculite and 30% perlite because all the seeds were so tiny. When I transplanted into the solos the root systems were still tiny and I was afraid all hydroton would not have enough root contact so I transplanted into my normal Hempy perlite and hydroton mix. They will go from this into the straight hydroton.
Gotcha, that makes sense.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
AgentPothead is offline Quote

Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 PM #24
starke

starke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud ofstarke has much to be proud of
Note to self: Decreased off interval from 45 minutes to 30 minutes and decreased on duration from two minutes to one minute. Pump now cycles once every 30 minutes for one minute.
“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ~Robert Wilensky

"Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world." (SuperWeed 2017)

"Always keep in mind that when the hearse pulls up to pick you up, there is no trunk or luggage rack on that bitch." (Author unknown)

starke is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:12 PM #25
starke

Weekly Update

The woody stemmed rosemary cuttings all rooted and were transplanted to soil solo cups yesterday.

Transplanted the lettuce, basil, spinach and parsley yesterday into the system. I waited too long to transplant and the seedling roots had all become too intertwined to separate. As a result, instead of having plenty of seedlings to fill all the cups, I now have clumps of seedlings in a few cups. Need to plant something else to fill out the top rows but have not decided what yet.

Chopped five big leaves off the chard and chopped them up in our salad last night. Tasty.

Still running 1.0ec at 5.8ph but that is subject to change after I see how everything adapts to the transplant over the next couple of days. Have not switched to RO yet and am still having to add ph down every other day. May try a 50/50 well/RO mix to see if that will slow the ph swing.

Fully synthetic hydro system components and synthetic man made nutes...but all organic pest control:

Peace,
starke

starke is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:23 PM #26
OG_NoMan

OG_NoMan has much to be proud ofOG_NoMan has much to be proud ofOG_NoMan has much to be proud ofOG_NoMan has much to be proud ofOG_NoMan has much to be proud ofOG_NoMan has much to be proud ofOG_NoMan has much to be proud ofOG_NoMan has much to be proud ofOG_NoMan has much to be proud ofOG_NoMan has much to be proud ofOG_NoMan has much to be proud of
Very cool and great use of material. What are you or will you be doing about rez temps? I would imagine it would need to be chilled?
OG_NoMan is offline Quote

Old 04-30-2019, 07:51 PM #27
starke

Since this is a flood and drain type system the roots do not remain in solution so I am not too worried about solution temp. I feed my ladies in their Hempy buckets with solution that is typically 78 - 80 F.

starke is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:18 PM #28
starke

Weekly Update

The good news is everything in the system has grown like crazy this past week, with most plants at least doubling in size from last week. Here is how they looked at 7:30am this morning - about an hour after sunrise:

The bad news this is how they looked three hours later in the full FL morning sun, even with the feed/water interval backed down to a flood every 10 minutes:

As I mentioned in the first post, the lettuce, spinach and chard are fall crops here so I wasn't expecting much - but damn - they were sure looking pretty. The misses has ordered me some 40% shade cloth so I.m going to give that a try just for the heck of it. Even if I have to wait until fall for the greens, I've learned the concept will work anyway.

Bumped the feed to 1.4ec and still keeping the ph around 5.8.

Next update in a week. Should be interesting to see what survives.

Peace,
starke

starke is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:51 PM #29
DARKSIDER
Garden of Eden

DARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud ofDARKSIDER has much to be proud of
Best of luck starke that's a shame about the heat but like you say the shade cloth may help a lot heres hoping so

Serious Seeds.. bubblegum Tester.. Completed.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=348148

Connoisseur Genetics.. old school haze X casey jones Tester.. Completed
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=351788

Bradley Danks Genetics.. Fire Alien Strawberry x Jagerschnitzel Tester.. Platinum Cookies x Jagerschnitzel Tester.. Completed..
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=360103

Sweet Seeds.. S.A.D.. RDWC. finished. 10.05.2019.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=339306&page=2

DARKSIDER is online now Quote

Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 PM #30
Palindrome
King of Schwag

Palindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivorPalindrome is a survivor
Yeah hopefull the shade cloth will do the trick, it's looking soo nice in the first pictures.
Great to see the system preform!