What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Root Ball Medicine for Pain, Inflammation and More?

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
One ounce beeswax for every eight ounces coconut oil stays solid even when loaded with essential oils.
From keeping a jar in a car it became known that it melts somewhere in the mid 90s f.
The good news is that it doesn’t seem to separate at all, but just goes back and forth from solid to liquid without effecting its effectiveness either.

I do add a bit of essential oil for fragrance, but other than that it is just infused coconut oil, beeswax, some organic aloe vera gel and a bit of grapeseed oil.

I'm in Florida and if you go outside 9 months of the year you will encounter temps that will melt and separate my topical very quickly.

Likewise, I've found that trying to cool it too quickly will make it separate in the fridge so it's kind of a pain in the ass for me to get it to a happy medium but when I do it's shelf stable to about 78.

I may not use as much beeswax as you do I wood, too much and I think it gets too stiff when applying.

Anyway, when folks tell me it separated, I just instruct them to put it in the microwave for 15 seconds and then stir to recombine and then put the jar in some tap water with a few ice cubes and it reconstitutes quite nicely.

I do make a version without any beeswax as some people prefer to apply it that way.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Without the beeswax, and with heavy doses of frankincense or lavender essential oils, the oil literally penetrates deep into the skin. It gets into the capillaries and the effectiveness goes much deeper. You can feel it increase in effectiveness over the next 10 minutes or so. Works on the deep pain in my hip. ;)

Keep it away from plastic containers, the essential oils will act as a solvent and dissolve the plastic over time. ;)

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Without the beeswax, and with heavy doses of frankincense or lavender essential oils, the oil literally penetrates deep into the skin. It gets into the capillaries and the effectiveness goes much deeper. You can feel it increase in effectiveness over the next 10 minutes or so. Works on the deep pain in my hip. ;)

Keep it away from plastic containers, the essential oils will act as a solvent and dissolve the plastic over time. ;)

How much frankincense oil to coconut oil to be maximally effective?

Any suggestions/links for frankincense oil that is good stuff?

So much of the essential oil market is pure BS.

Just curious if you have a preferred source/brand.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'm unable to use coconut oil, so I really have no idea. Doesn't work well on my skin, especially with repeated applications. Only slicks up my digestive system when I eat it. The "A" blood type does not do well with coconut at all.

No clue on actual amounts, I go by 'working time." Personally, I mix about 1:4 lemon:frankincense oils. Then add this to the root oil until a drop soaks completely into the skin in seconds. Oil I want for massage I use less, so you can rub the oil around for a minute or so before it soaks in.

I use Rhada brand essential olls, and they work great.

Hope that helps :)

I wood

How much frankincense oil to coconut oil to be maximally effective?

Any suggestions/links for frankincense oil that is good stuff?

So much of the essential oil market is pure BS.

Just curious if you have a preferred source/brand.

aurora organics is a good brand, french i think. Available on ebay last time i needed it.
7.5 ml frankincense per quart of coconut oil in the recipe i use.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
picture.php

Made up this batch of root oil for Christmas presents.
Added all the roots I had. (I should have weighed it.) After cleaning and drying, I had a giant popcorn bowl of roots mounded in there. Cut up into tiny pieces.
Soaked in olive oil and coconut oil in Crock-Pot on warm for 24 hours.

Then added lemon oil, arnica extract in olive oil, vitamin E in olive oil, and another bottle of the muscle relief essential oils that I posted pics of earlier in the thread.

So far- the boss just called me and said it helped his knuckles.

I'll post updates on everyone's opinion of it.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I gave a bottle to a coworker with bad knees.
He said he put some on and numbed the pain for about two hours. He said that after two hours pain started to return, but nowhere as intense. He said he even fell asleep easily in his chair, and when he woke at 2am he was able to walk to bed with out much pain.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Has anyone made root extract oil with hemp seed oil instead of olive or coconut?

I heard Todd McCormick say he made a "natural Marinol" by letting kief dissolve in hempseed oil.
It's also supposed to be good for your skin with all the omegas.

I would love to be able to have an apothecary cabinet full of different cannabis tinctures, oils, ointments, and concoctions for whatever situation may arise.

Also want to try making a RSO for external use that is truly "whole plant medicine". Add bud, leaf, stem, AND ROOTS.

And finally I want to make a root rub with a close to equal THC:cbd ratio. Even though the science is iffy on THC and CBD being applied as a topical, it can't hurt. Especially with Rick Simpson suggesting that THC oil applied to skin cancer, can reverse course

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Has anyone made root extract oil with hemp seed oil instead of olive or coconut?

I heard Todd McCormick say he made a "natural Marinol" by letting kief dissolve in hempseed oil.
It's also supposed to be good for your skin with all the omegas.

I would love to be able to have an apothecary cabinet full of different cannabis tinctures, oils, ointments, and concoctions for whatever situation may arise.

Also want to try making a RSO for external use that is truly "whole plant medicine". Add bud, leaf, stem, AND ROOTS.

And finally I want to make a root rub with a close to equal THC:cbd ratio. Even though the science is iffy on THC and CBD being applied as a topical, it can't hurt. Especially with Rick Simpson suggesting that THC oil applied to skin cancer, can reverse course
i can confirm this as true. 6 years and no return.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I don't know about all this whole root thing. I think it only applies to outdoor plants. I just cleaned up the roots from my recent 9 plant indoor grow and most of the roots are angel hair. I have 9 tap roots that are about 1/8 to 1/4" but they are only a few inches long. I may try it anyway with what little bit I have but.... has anyone done this with indoor plant roots? Did you use the tiny angel hair stuff?

If this works for other people it should work for me. Nothing ever does but I believe it's because of tolerance issues more than likely. So, since this is not THC then, whatever it is, I shouldn't have a tolerance to it and it should work. We'll see.

Bobby Boucher

Couldn't I just do a butane or ethanol extraction on the roots and then add the resulting oil into the recipe?

Would any ol' dab do? Or is there something special about these roots..

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I am thinking the good stuff is actually IN the roots rather than ON it like the flowers. So a solvent extraction may not work. Just guessing, though.

Bobby Boucher

I think I'm just going to jump to the conclusion.

Pulverizing the material down and doing a warm denatured alcohol extraction.. would work.

It might just be impractical for people without the appropriate setting for evaporating off the solvent, and redundant for someone who didn't mind straining and squeezing all the roots and didn't need or want for a more concentrated end product.

Still just conjecture, but.. I mean.. why the frick not?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
OK, I am down with that. At first I was thinking a Quick Wash with solvent. And, that didn't seem optimal. Pulverizing and longer term extraction? Sure, why not.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Shit, I just went down to get the angle hair roots and I realized they went out with this morning's trash pickup. Poop!

I still have all the main root balls. I am going to wash them off and give this a try. I definitely like the idea of pulverizing the roots, rather than just cutting them with scissors.