What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New way of feminizing?

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey just want to throw that question in, is there a better method for feminizing than STS and colloidal silver as Chimera hints in this post?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8046419&postcount=151

Our SS offerings were created through a proprietary staminate flower/ pollen production method that targets multiple plant hormone pathways. It is not related to plant stress but a direct intervention of the natural hormonal state. This method is incredibly effective at producing pollen, much much more so than colloidal silver, and significantly more effective than Silver Thiosulfate in terms of overall pollen production .

Hope this answers your queries adequately.

Respectfully,
-Chimera

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
another way of reversing a female clone is to remove roots from a cutting as they form i think, that would certainly remove the pathway for hormones produced in the roots and stop them getting in to the plant.
can't find where i read about it but maybe someone else can, its here somewhere... unless i dream't it up lol.

thats my guess anyway!

VG

Limeygreen

Veteran
That sounds like just limiting cytokinins, if that was the case, could you not just overload them in auxins to create the imbalance? My money is on a plant hormone treatment.

B

bigganjabud

Hey just want to throw that question in, is there a better method for feminizing than STS and colloidal silver as Chimera hints in this post?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8046419&postcount=151

Dude if you're going to start looking into a legends breeding practices and getting close to that sort of reputation as a super strain producer then your gonna need something money can't buy

UNICORN PISS!!

has to be its the only feasible excuse

I know of one compound which matches the relative effects of Chimera's description, but I'd hardly say that it's "proprietary" since it's a marketed product.

Edit: I was referring to AVG as mentioned by Natural high below. In the right concentrations, this can induce male flowers with just one application. Stunting effects are similar to STS, perhaps slightly less intense.

Last edited:
Our SS offerings were created through a proprietary staminate flower/ pollen production method that targets multiple plant hormone pathways. It is not related to plant stress but a direct intervention of the natural hormonal state. This method is incredibly effective at producing pollen, much much more so than colloidal silver, and significantly more effective than Silver Thiosulfate in terms of overall pollen production .
Colloidal silver and Silver Thiosulfate induce reversal not through stress, but by blocking the action of ethylene, a naturally produced plant hormone. There is another chemical called aminoethoxyvinylglycine (AGV), which induces reversal by blocking the production of ethylene by the plant. Slightly different mechanism, same overall effect.

This plant growth regulator is often used in agriculture to delay fruit ripening amongst other things. This may be what Chimera is alluding to.

Last edited:

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
It's not any of the above, unicorn piss was close though. ;)

It's a combination of STS with something else. It's not that deep though, STS in the right concentration and application regimen will produce ample pollen in almost all varieties. This little trick just helps produce more in tricky cultivars, but it's really not necessary for most purposes.

It came to me through simple reasoning and observation of the types that wouldn't reverse and trying to figure out a way to compensate. For all practical purposes though, STS is sufficient for %95 of genotypes.

Don't be afraid to experiment with concentrations above the posted rates, or spray more often (weekly for 4 weeks or more). STS will reverse even the most resistant vars.

I'm flattered y'all are so curious, someone will figure it out with a little thought - it's not so esoteric.

-Chimera

B

bigganjabud

It's a combination of STS with something else. It's not that deep though, STS in the right concentration and application regimen will produce ample pollen in almost all varieties. This little trick just helps produce more in tricky cultivars, but it's really not necessary for most purposes.

It came to me through simple reasoning and observation of the types that wouldn't reverse and trying to figure out a way to compensate. For all practical purposes though, STS is sufficient for %95 of genotypes.

Don't be afraid to experiment with concentrations above the posted rates, or spray more often (weekly for 4 weeks or more). STS will reverse even the most resistant vars.

I'm flattered y'all are so curious, someone will figure it out with a little thought - it's not so esoteric.

-Chimera

Ah chim me old friend how are you?

Any plans for any cherry female goodness coming from your stock anytime soon?

STS with a little GA3 thrown in to assist and for added benefit it counters the stunting that can occur due to the STS? Nice work :)

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As I recently bought AgNO3 and sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate.
So I'm looking at all infos about STS (real users,not facking copy/paste infos to inflate ego).

[ I also have seen sts formula with 5 grams AgNO3 and 2.5 grams sodium thiosulfate .... :dance013: ( instead of 0.5/2.5 ) ]
And a lot of people don't speak about the 2 sodium thiosulfate types : anhydridous and pentahydrate . And that explains differences on formulas .

And for SURE, I have seen something about enhanced STS on the web around 10/15 days ago, but I really can't remember where exactly . It was exactly about STS + additive .

Peace :tiphat:( I stay tuned :lurk: )

EDIT:

It's not that deep though, STS in the right concentration and application regimen will produce ample pollen in almost all varieties. This little trick just helps produce more in tricky cultivars, but it's really not necessary for most purposes.

A simply wetting agent can already help .

Last edited:

djonkoman

Veteran
As I recently bought AgNO3 and sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate.
So I'm looking at all infos about STS (real users,not facking copy/paste infos to inflate ego).

what kind of info are you looking for?

maybe I can help with some of it, but I'm experimenting with STS for the first time this year, and I'm having my own problems.

all the mixing etc was easy with all the info there is online(I ran into the same anhydrous vs. pentahydrous thing, but it's pretty easy to convert the amounts, read multiple sources saying you want a (molar) ratio of 1:4 silver nitrate:sodium thiosulphate, so you can use that to check your recipe)

however, my issue is that I now have 2 nice-looking, fully reversed plants, full of balls and not a single female flower, but the balls don't contain any pollen...

so I'm going to experiment with the dosage and frequency, I'm thinking I may have overdone it, maybe ethylene is involved in the ripening of the flowers/pollen production too? so the ethylene would need to be blocked during differentiation of the buds during transition to flower, but then let the sts clear out so ethylene can do it's work again?

btw, anyone knows an easily available/cheap surfactant that won't react with the STS? I've read some comments somewhere about using tween-80, are there other options? if I could just use dishwashing liquid that would be easiest, but I doubt that would work as well(harm to plant and reactivity is what I'm worried about). (I'm currently applying it using a pipette, placing a droplet directly on each bud/node, easier/more convenient and less waste of sts-solution compared to spraying down the whole plant. but sometimes it's difficult to get a drop to stick/balance, so using a surfactant would make that easier I think)

Last edited:
I have looked into sourcing the best wetting agent for application on plants, and the non-ionic surfactant alkylaryl polyglycol ether seems to be the one. Unfortunately I found no products containing it in my country (Australia), but found one called Sprayfix, available in New Zealand.

Latest posts

Latest posts