What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis grafting

Betterhaff

Veteran
Actually..no one has attempted it...and no one knows exactly why some does not graft. This is what is called emerging science.

It takes trial and errors to know for a fact it does not work. Proper science is not saying something can not work unless the trial and errors has been performed.

Like I stated before...there has been cases of plants from different families actually grafting and staying alive for 5 months...5 months is enough time for a cannabis plant to be harvested.

and not to be rude..but where exactly is your grafting trial and errors..or anything else science related? Just saying.

Herbaceous plants of different families have most defiently been grafted and lived for awhile..tomato and cannabis are both herbaceous. So you can not say for a fact it would not work. Feel free to post photos or anything that has showed any attempts to graft cannabis to a tomato.

Cellular recognigtion, wounding response, growth regulators, and incompatable toxins are what determines if 2 plants will graft.

------------------------

Successful grafts have been made with the following plants of different families:
Tomato and Cabbage, Tomato and Chrysanthemum, Tomato and Cineraria, Tomato and Coleus, Tomato and Zinnia.

Other examples include:
Kidney bean and Cocklebur, Kidney bean and Castor-oil bean, Sunflowe rand Melon, Jerusalem artichoke and Black nightshade, Coleus acaranthus, Aster and Phlox, Maple and Lilac.

The Tomato and cabbage and the artichoke and nightshade gave good unions on account of their "herbaceous" nature and rapid growth, while astor and phlox, somewhat advanced in growth, and a year old maple and lilac united with difficulty except on very young shoots. The success of these experiments concludes that the "old" idea that only plants belonging to the same family can be grafted on each other does "NOT" apply to "grafting by approach".
Does this mean an approach graft?

An approach graft is something that happens even in the wild and requires close proximity of the plants. The reason it works well in many cases is because both plants being used are still being supported by their own root stock. What happens when the scion is separated from its own root stock is what matters. I’d be curious to hear the long term survival rate of plants used from different families.

As I said before chances are slim when you go outside families…I didn’t say it was impossible. I guess the important question is is it a viable option on a practical or commercial scale?

Betterhaff

Veteran
My approach would be to find the cultivars that produce the strongest root stock and go from there. Commercially, root stocks are used for hardiness, disease resistance, and/or dwarfing.

Speaking of autos, I remember reading some threads about using approach graphs with autos and standards but leaving everything intact (both scions and rootstocks). Something about the hormones going both ways in regards to flowering. Florigen I believe. The theory was to graft an auto or fast flowering to a long flowering tropical.

How do you know that Big Bud etc. grow bigger root systems than other strains?

I'm thinking they produce bigger buds because of their genetics. For instance you can grow any plant to have a big root mass and it will produce more.

The question is will grafting cannabis to other plants or different strains produce more in a faster amount of time?

With cannabis it is easier to just pop more seeds or make more clones.

With other plants like certain cacti it is advantageous to graft because the scion is slow growing and grows a lot faster on a different root-stock.

Really the only advantage I can see with grafting cannabis is having multiple strains on one root-stock in cases of plant count restriction.

Budley Doright

Veteran
There is ALOT of advantages to grafting that can not be gotten in other means...alot of these advantages have already been covered.

Planting a bunch of seeds will not give you the advantages of grafting such as size boost, controlling height, mold and disease resistance, among the many other advantages.

"you can grow any plant to have a big root mass and it will produce more." Sure if you keep increasing the container size...100 gallon container will of course grow a more massive plant..however big bud or money maker in a 100 gallon container will produce a even bigger plant. However bigger container does not effect genetics. The root mass however is genetic. Bigger the root mass then the bigger the plant...nearly everything starts in the root mass. Big bud and money maker naturally creates big plants...so is logical to use them as rootstock to get size boost.

Adding chemicals to get a bigger plant becomes a less healthy product...however with grafting you do not need the extra chemicals however voodoo juice helps in grafting for size. This give us another major advantage...size boost without chemicals.

Your comments are wildly overstated.....

The only reason we might like to do grafting here is for plant count....

Thats pretty much the beginning and end of it......

^yeah

Never answered either of my questions either.

I've read the whole thread and have experience grafting cacti.

I haven't seen any proof of what this person is claiming (pics) and they seem to be just extrapolating from other plants and assuming it will be the same with cannabis (larger buds of say GSC on Big Bud root-stock? Pics?)...

ozza

Veteran
I'm a horticulturalist. Have been for 10 years. Qualified anyway. I have grafted many plants. Give me links to these plants that have been grafted to other families?

Budley Doright

Veteran
I think you are over your head....

My comment about plant count was to conserve plant count by grafting multiple stains on one plant....

Ir you really want to advance the science...do something....

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
We stressed our plant when we brought them inside. If your plant is showing intersex traits from something then that is your decision for selection.

Grafting is a good solution if you would like to preserve something and have low plant numbers. Of course your roots can only support so much, that is up to the grower to control. Particularly if you are using the grafted plant for clone production.
Too many branches? Cut some other ones you dont need off. Of course we are completely forgetting that root mass grows larger to compensate for larger biomass up top?

If a few cuts ruins your plants you have bad genetics, certainly nothing like the stress of a deer stopping by too munch half of its biomass for lunch heh.

In cannabis graft attempts the most common cause of failure is not lining up the tissues correctly and not trimming leaf mass of the scion back appropriately to avoid wilt.
If they wilt check your tissue is lined up properly, spray the scion with water and trim back leaf mass, repeat until they stay perky.

Budley Doright

Veteran
increased stress can cause a "perfect flower"...which is the science name for "hermy".
====================================================
Actually cannabis can have both perfect and imperfect male flowers....

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
in a plant with intersex prone genes... thats on the growers/breeder selection. If a plant shows intersex traits from grafting it would probably do the same to a broken branch, nute stress, drought or any other strong stress factor.

Every plant grown indoors is under increased stress by default.

Are we saying that some plants will only intersex when put under graft stress?

Betterhaff

Veteran
The thing is cannabis is an annual plant technically. Most grafting is done with dicot perennial woody types, mainly fruits, to increase productivity and to procure the crop that would otherwise not be possible commercially due to problems with hardiness, disease, etc. if the cultivar was grown as a whole. There are very few commercial fruit crops where grafting is not being used ie grapes, apples, peaches, etc. There are also a lot of ornamentals that are also grafted.

I’m not sure I see an advantage of grafting with cannabis other than, as mentioned before, maintaining multiple varieties on one plant as a mother for reasons such as plant counts. But then again to me the whole plant count thing is ridiculous.

Why not breed for better outcomes with weed and when found then use clones. If you want a stronger rootstock, breed for it. If you want to increase yield, breed for it. You want better structure, breed for it. I guess I make this argument because, other than revegging, what do you do with a grafted cannabis plant after it flowers, even if it does slightly increase yield or whatever.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A plant is not a human lets not try to compare the two, Imagine the horror of the stress when you chop 50 clones off of a mom... Why arent they all showing intersex and the mom dieing and showing intersex?

If you are trying to say stress is the reason grafting would be bad for cannabis because it will cause intersex you are simply off base because any stress can cause intersex in a plant with weak genes in that regard and grafting causes no worse stress than all the ungodly shit we do to our plants starting by bringing them inside to grow, hell forcing your plant to grow a root ball is stessful and unnatural and guess what? Shitty plants will intersex from any stress. Your position seems skewed for some reason. I would question your plant selection skills and your science at this point.

Any stress can cause plants with weak sexual identity to show intersex....

In short if you graft a plant and it shows intersex you got a weak ass plant... and it will intersex under any other severe stress as well...
Good test for selection if you think it is so horrible of a stressor but sadly most cant be bothered to stress test for sex traits anyway.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If grafting is the end all be all of stressors as you imply then graft your plants and if they dont intersex you got a winner! Adding even more value to the technique.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Perfect = male and female both
Imperfect means male or female alone

This is something for ALL plants.

Like I said....you are over your head.....

OUr plants normally have only male or female flowers....

Cannabis has two types of hermies....

We call them balls and nanners....

The balls type has separate male and female flowers on the same plant....

the nanners type has female flowers....but it also has perfect flowers which means it has individual flowers with both male and female parts......

How old are you??????

^yeah, true

Also, they are trying to take grafted vegetable principles and say the same benefits would happen with grafted cannabis

What about time lost for the graft to heal and start growing again?

Sure grafting cannabis can be done but it really isn't worth the cost for the minimum possible benefits (because no one has proved grafting GSC on Big Bud roots will make the GSC scion produce bigger buds), it would be easier to just plant more GSC or allow the GSC to grow larger before forcing flowering.

Budley Doright

Veteran
^yeah, they are trying to take grafted vegetable principles and say the same benefits would happen with grafted cannabis

What about time lost for the graft to heal and start growing again?

Sure grafting cannabis can be done but it really isn't worth the cost for the minimum possible benefits (because no one has proved grafting GSC on Big Bud roots will make the GSC scion produce bigger buds), it would be easier to just plant more GSC.

Personally I think that idea has as much chance grafting plants from different families.....

Latest posts

Latest posts