What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

no mention anywhere of % weight change per day of curing?

phunkeeboodah

decided to try oven bags for curing and it seems to be ideal. i don't know if i put them in bags at the right time since this is my first time at a serious attempt at growing weed

in spite of it only being just over 48 hours since chop (plants were cut at base of stem without any trimming), i decided to trim and bag them. this is because the rh was below 30% and the smell in the hallway outside my door had gone and also all the mites had left the plants and congregated en masse at the tops of the stems of the upside down hanging plants

now after one week of being in the bags with little to no burping i realize there is really no need to burp because i can put my nose up to the tops of the bags and smell the weed when they are tied shut, which means there is a constant burp going on

most importantly i have been weighing the bags each day and noticing they lose about 1% of weight each day. also should mention weighing the weed is very easy with oven bags, and also instead of burping you just move the bags around to jostle the buds

it has been one week and i will keep an eye on things expecting the daily weight loss percentage to go down, and i am guessing it will eventually level off. i believe at that time and with the changing bouquet i can bring these buds to a nice cure without repetitive strain injury from too many containers

was wondering why nowhere online there is any mention of percentage per day weight change while drying/curing and what might be ideal

in the picture: just over 1 and 1/4 pounds from 3 balcony plants getting 4 hours sunlight. strain is canuk hash passion x nirvana papaya. one week into cure, smell of blueberry pancakes and coffee becoming more prevalent

Attachments

• 2020-10-19_one_week_cure.jpg
    2020-10-19_one_week_cure.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 45

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sure somebody, somewhere was OCD enough to weigh out their plants daily during drying/cure, but there's no point to it. Get your self cheap hygrometers, put them in with your drying/curing weed and they will tell you how much moisture is in the bag/container. Aim for between 60-65%, with 62% being perfect. Maintain that moisture level for a few weeks and enjoy cured cannabis.

Fixer

It would also depend of RH of the air you let into the curing vessel and how long you leave the lid off to burp.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Those bags inflating sure does demonstrate that dope does indeed make gas as it cures.

Cured flower isn't done losing weight at 60ish%. I get just under a qp of flower in a not stuffed full quart jar, but even though it has been ground, the once-hit ABV is 75gr for a full qt jar. It is still green and oily, so terps and plant moisture shed off?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
From chop to dry you can expect to lose 75% of the weight.

Yup.

Think about all that growth for 28g.

84g is waste through moisture loss and trashed plant matter.

To yield a pound, three pounds waste, lol.

So high now, must stop typing

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It would also depend of RH of the air you let into the curing vessel and how long you leave the lid off to burp.

Once the container is sealed again, the humidity will equalize between the plant material and the air trapped inside. Usually happens overnight. That's why you burp nightly when first starting cure.

Of course if your humidity in the air is high 80's/low 90's, your weed will take forever to dry and there's a good chance you'll end up with moldy bud.

phunkeeboodah

was reading an article about how the lighter more volatile terpenes can evaporate first, which has me worried since i bagged just after the hallway and other places etc stopped smelling of skunk/dank

oddly though when in my apartment only could smell funky papaya. but since humidity was very low in the 20's at that time, and the mites had all left the plants, and that hallway dank smell had gone, i went on instinct and trimmed and bagged, even though just over 48 hours from chop

the bags don't inflate btw, i trap ambient air in with a quick motion and twist closed the bag tight and tie it and it stays puffed. the fact that i can't smell anything when they are closed except when my nose is at the openings and/or when handling the bags means there is a constant stream of air going in and coming out ie constant burp, yet not too much so as to smell up the room

maybe that will change though as the cure continues. even as moist as they were when i trimmed, there was never any worry of mold. like i said my instinct said they were dried enough by those signals, but i do wonder know if putting in bags even earlier ie before the hallway dank smell had gone would have changed things. will have to experiment next year

but for the percentages i looked over the forums and it was just guestimates, although the ones that said a two week cure would reduce weight by 15% might be true as things are going at about 1% per day

when it levels off will see how things are. i don't want the arthritis or the science. just let the mites and the smells and the initial observing of ambient humidity (ok some science) be the guide of when to bag and then boom, just jostle and weigh every day until weight stabilizes. will report back btw

indagroove

Veteran
It's a really bad idea to bag before the plant is fully dry, and that pretty much never happens within 48 hours. There is really no reason at all to bag before it's completely dry.

You say "there was never any worry of mold", why is that exactly?

SuperBadGrower

i don't know if i put them in bags at the right time since this is my first time at a serious attempt at growing weed

listen to Indagroove, the only guy with his brain plugged in this thread
30% RH is low but <48 hours? No way. Especially if you hang by the base without trimming.
The only way buds can be dry enough for storage after 48 is in a hot room that is like <45%, or using lots of wind (in a cooler room), with the buds bucked off of the stems, laying on drying racks or something. It's a cool idea, and your thinking outside of the box can get you far. But dont reinvent the wheel like this on your first grow. worried that your buds may be headed for ruination. I have ruined entire plants by storing them too wet.

30% Difficult to deal with though, certainly possible to over-dry. Not all online info about drying accounts for environment. (If my ambient were closer to 55% and you took my advice on drying and curing, your stuff will overdry for sure at 30%)
You be the judge -- we can only look at the computer screen and guess. my 2 cts is to consider takng them out for a while to dry.

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Get a temp/humidity meter, they are $5 on eBay with a wired remote sensor. Hang in cardboard boxes you can spray or even bag to slow moisture loss. Or get a $50 humidifier with built in stat from Amazon, and control a cupboard or room, if you have that much.

Buds can half in size during the first 24hours in a poor environment. 3 days to crispy can be done. It's totally ruined though.

1% a day sounds very slow. I'm not sure whats left to go but you can do the math. I should say I don't know what you are aiming for though and without a gauge you probably don't either

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
decided to try oven bags for curing and it seems to be ideal. i don't know if i put them in bags at the right time since this is my first time at a serious attempt at growing weed

in spite of it only being just over 48 hours since chop (plants were cut at base of stem without any trimming), i decided to trim and bag them. this is because the rh was below 30% and the smell in the hallway outside my door had gone and also all the mites had left the plants and congregated en masse at the tops of the stems of the upside down hanging plants

now after one week of being in the bags with little to no burping i realize there is really no need to burp because i can put my nose up to the tops of the bags and smell the weed when they are tied shut, which means there is a constant burp going on

most importantly i have been weighing the bags each day and noticing they lose about 1% of weight each day. also should mention weighing the weed is very easy with oven bags, and also instead of burping you just move the bags around to jostle the buds

it has been one week and i will keep an eye on things expecting the daily weight loss percentage to go down, and i am guessing it will eventually level off. i believe at that time and with the changing bouquet i can bring these buds to a nice cure without repetitive strain injury from too many containers

was wondering why nowhere online there is any mention of percentage per day weight change while drying/curing and what might be ideal

in the picture: just over 1 and 1/4 pounds from 3 balcony plants getting 4 hours sunlight. strain is canuk hash passion x nirvana papaya. one week into cure, smell of blueberry pancakes and coffee becoming more prevalent

I'm sure somebody, somewhere was OCD enough to weigh out their plants daily during drying/cure, but there's no point to it. Get your self cheap hygrometers, put them in with your drying/curing weed and they will tell you how much moisture is in the bag/container. Aim for between 60-65%, with 62% being perfect. Maintain that moisture level for a few weeks and enjoy cured cannabis.
I don't count per day. That being said, I weigh my plants wet and jar when they lose 80% of their wet weight, verified via the "snap test"

phunkeeboodah

was actually about 60 hours from chop when i bagged the first two then did the third one the next day at about 77 hours from chop

but, the plants were dry enough to pull the dry fan leaves off by hand to manicure then pop the buds off the branches with scissors. the sugar leaves mostly stay on this way and i'm not concerned about super manicuring the buds

did another check on the average percentage weight loss and it is 1.1% per day not 1%. the complete disappearance of the hallway smell and the very low humidity and the clearance of the mites (read all about it here, if you dare..... muhahahaha) and i just knew it was time

there has been no trace of any off odours or visual indications of anything ever in the process, but also these are not giant plants either

i think i did reinvent the wheel btw lol. these bags are on a continuous burp, hold lots of weed and can be jostled and weighed very easily. i don't see how i could eff this up...will report back lol

Canna-bill

People are just pointing out you are taking a massive risk that your beautiful buds will get mouldy and turn to mush inside the plastic bags because they weren't completely dry putting them in. You may get away with it this time but it is generally bad practice to do this.

If you really have to bag the buds up that soon after harvest, paper bags would have been a better option. In a well ventilated room, buds will take at least 7days to be dry enough to put into bags.

Latest posts

Latest posts