What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gooey, gummy, sticky...what happened?

Before it was legal(a long while back)...I used to get weed that was nice and gooey and sticky and gummy. Nowadays, that it's legal, all I get is this perfectly dehydrated and 'cured' at 62 percent relative humidity sponge weed. I call it sponge weed cause it's always spongy...not gooey and sticky.

I don't want perfectly dehydrated 62 percent humidity weed with that dumb packet in it...I want the old gummy stuff.

White Beard

Modern business happened: it needs to ship well, look good in the bag/jar; it needs to be dried *fast* but not too much (so, packets instead of curing), it needs a popular name.

Cut enough corners & all you have is a photo of what you want

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Maybe has something to do with the way the dope is handled. Break open the tric heads and the dope will get sticky and smelly, for a while.

Breaking up a vac pack of fresh dope is the best smell, cause that vac process is hell on the heads. A lot of trics get released.

White Beard

Falls under “modern business” for me, but I’ll remember to include it specifically - thanks for the reminder.

Could it be that commercial weed that is everywhere, isn't as fresh as off the vine? It spends way longer in facilities, packaging, etc...before it gets to me?

Maybe the older black market weed that I used to get was more fresh....and hence more gooey.

Found a related article: https://honestmarijuana.com/sticky-weed/

They’re Both Dried

"Don’t get us wrong, both sticky weed and dry weed are both dried — meaning they’ve both been cut from the stem of the cannabis plant, hung in a cool, dry place, and allowed to…dry (the beginnings of the decarboxylation process). The dry weed may have been left hanging longer, or it may have had fewer trichomes (or less resin) to begin with. The fact that it’s dry and not sticky doesn’t mean that it won’t get you righteously high. It just means that the dry weed might have a harsher smoke or that it might not have a full, tasty flavor like the sticky weed."

Gooey, sticky weed rules.

Last edited:

prune

Veteran
Gooey, gummy and sticky require a certain light intensity - actually quite high intensity in fact and much, much higher than is needed to grow healthy dark green plants.
So now you have non-stoner corporate bean-counters running the meters, which light levels do you think they run?

q3corn

When I got super sticky weed I always thought it was just pulled off the drying rack. And when you rolled a joint of it and it wouldn't hold a cherry if you didn't continuously puff on it. Once they sat around in a bag for a week everything got a little drier and it would actually smoke well.

MindEater

You used to drive to the hood to get weed. Now your drive Tim Cooks iPot store. Hydro doesn't sell in the hood. Hydro sells at the iPot store.

Not all mersh weed is hydro tho. Commercial soil growers don't have an understanding of quality. "You are what you eat" applies to plants. Feed the microbes fats, minerals and proteins, and the plant will have the building blocks for better metabolites profiles.

People are focused on stupid things like thc and terpenes, and pay zero attention to metabolites that actually contribute to good sticky weed. Most Thc-obsessed professional pot growers cannot even name the fatty acid that synthesizes Thc, or even hold a basic understanding of enzymes, and that is beyond sad.

Since professional pot growers look at everything backwards, most large operations put their focus/plant count on pheno hunting rather than having solid strains and focusing on quality grow methodologies. What these people don't grasp is how Cannabis became diverse in the first place: epigenetics. You can create new metabolites by using different microbes and food sources,and the plants will pass them on as long as the food source they've adapted to are present in some amount. Microbes and their food sources are even passed through seeds.

Flushing is now a myth, along with curing and proper harvesting technique. Excess ferts at the end kills the sticky. Bud is dehydrated, because dispensary customers have no idea that weed should be cured,and they prefer to keep it that way. Excess nitrogen prevents curing from ever taking place, I guarantee you the people selling you sticky gooey weed from the trailer park didn't use Boveda packs,because they didn't have excess nitrogen in the bud. Motor oil and candle wax don't evaporate at room temp, but water does.. Water is a replacement for oils in the 21st century definition of "dank".

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Get a 10X or stronger magnifier, and a flashlight. Take a good close-up look at the flowers. The pics you see here, and what I see after breaking open a pack, are two different critters. Tric heads just don't make it through the packaging /shipping process very well.

mexweed

Veteran
the best stuff is fluffy when ground up and sticks together as a clump when some is grabbed to load a bowl

Ready4

Veteran
Dried too fast & over dried for fear of some mold , which does lead to problems with inspectors. Just twisted one - good gummy sticky, somewhat fresher. Most bud used to be fresh & unloaded quick. Dehumidifiers used by big growers to dry too fast.
Fresh weed often not dry = stores lose weigh & $$$$.
Grow your own & have good gummy sticky weed !

D

Deep State

Could it be that commercial weed that is everywhere, isn't as fresh as off the vine? It spends way longer in facilities, packaging, etc...before it gets to me?

Maybe the older black market weed that I used to get was more fresh....and hence more gooey.

Found a related article: https://honestmarijuana.com/sticky-weed/

They’re Both Dried

"Don’t get us wrong, both sticky weed and dry weed are both dried — meaning they’ve both been cut from the stem of the cannabis plant, hung in a cool, dry place, and allowed to…dry (the beginnings of the decarboxylation process). The dry weed may have been left hanging longer, or it may have had fewer trichomes (or less resin) to begin with. The fact that it’s dry and not sticky doesn’t mean that it won’t get you righteously high. It just means that the dry weed might have a harsher smoke or that it might not have a full, tasty flavor like the sticky weed."

Gooey, sticky weed rules.

Some resins are much more oily while others are more gooey and tacky.

I too like the look and feel of gooey and tacky resin flowers but oily ones don't seem to get me any less high.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with sativa vs indica or the region it came from?

Most of the strains i have grown are hybrids or polyhybrids so i couldn't tell.

Maybe someone knows more?

X

xavier7995

I think quite a bit of it is the dry and cure process. If i jar while still a bit moist and then slowly burp it down to the right rh level i get sticky weed. If i dry it a bit too long I dont. I can see how doing it on a commercial scale where you have to process a lot and for quite a bit slimmer margins would lead to just hanging till dry and then skipping out on that slow dry down/burping to the desired level.

carson

I think extremely gooey is basically underdried and undercured. If you take some wet weed and put it in a jar or bag and barely open it, you'll get that. It's almost like...half rotted? Maybe it is a sort of "fermentation" type of thing that can actually make it "better"?

TheSg

I've grown quite a few pure sativas that had that super slick oily liquidy resin. And it just seems to want to stay as an oil as it cures. But I have to say, I think there is real potency to some of those stickier/oily slick buds maybe it's just that the THC or resins are in the stage where they vape better and are more psychoactive from that but compared to a more dried out version of the same buds the more dried version always seems to just have less flavor and less potency...
Ive seen many outdoor growers produce suuuuper sticky resinous buds but then when they try indoors they can't recreate it.
And that's some back asswords stuff.

Ive seen many outdoor growers produce suuuuper sticky resinous buds but then when they try indoors they can't recreate it.

I can believe that. It's the sunlight and the UV. As we all know, it's massively strong off the sun...it'll give ya a bad burn, there's so much radiation. Plants act differently when fed sunlight and respond differently, so it would make sense they get extra gooey.

D

Deep State

I was speaking of fresh, live plant resin. Some varieties, the resin is not sticky at all.

bushed

Where does the idea that weed is better after a curing even come from? Does anyone have any scientific evidence as to why this is the case. Been growing my own for a good while now and dont smoke much due to adult responsibilities so the weed I normally smoke has had a long cure.

The other day I processed a plant much earlier than I normally would after it had been hanging for only a week, it was very sticky, reminded me of weed I used to buy a decade or so ago. I gave it a try both in my vape and then a joint. It got me next level high, a really strong head buzz, my friend agreed said its the highest he has felt in years.

Anyone else had experience like this?

q3corn

Where does the idea that weed is better after a curing even come from? Does anyone have any scientific evidence as to why this is the case. Been growing my own for a good while now and dont smoke much due to adult responsibilities so the weed I normally smoke has had a long cure.

The other day I processed a plant much earlier than I normally would after it had been hanging for only a week, it was very sticky, reminded me of weed I used to buy a decade or so ago. I gave it a try both in my vape and then a joint. It got me next level high, a really strong head buzz, my friend agreed said its the highest he has felt in years.

Anyone else had experience like this?

Yep, I've smoked my weed early many many times. I think mostly what happens is the flower burns more evenly after a cure, but the high seems to mellow out a bit, too, and bud that got me high-anxiety-run-aroud-the-room high, after a cure it was much more of a balanced experience. There are also plants that the harshness of the smoke reduced after a longer time in the jar. Like 3+ months after harvest.

Latest posts

Latest posts