What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Science Behind Purple?

How does purple effect user experience?

My question is that does being purple relate to different effect when compared to green phenos within the same line?

Have you experienced a purple pheno that is special in effect compared to its green counterpart?

Or have you experienced a green that is superior to its purple counterpart?

Also, have you experienced an intermediate 50% purple 50% green pheno that was better than its full purple or full green counterpart?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, i'd love to know the strain and experience you've had with it.

Please described which ones smelled better and how it effected you.

Don't forget to show pictures. :)

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Burro,

Purple pigmentation in cannabis is due to the presence of red/purple carotenoids present in the plant tissue, particularly the stems. I've generally found that the purple leaning plants within any given strain tend to produce more resin than greens, they often hit harder on smoke testing with more of a stoney element to them, they often have denser structures, shorter flowering times and almost invariably have a notably different terpene (odor) profile to green plants. Can't think of any other traits right now but I'm quite likely to have overlooked something.

Ace Seeds say the smoke quality of their Panama can vary between the reds and green phenos, the reds being said to give a heavier stone while the greens are said to lean toward a more energetic and uplifting effect.

billy

Last edited:

2011rex87

Some folks will tell you that "ANY" strain can turn purple given the right conditions. For example, night time temps in the 50s or lower can bring out the purple in a strain that would not normally turn purple. I have also seen growers flush with ice water in the last week or two to try and bring out the purple in the buds. Research along these lines to discover more info on the relationship between growing conditions and purple coloring. Some strains, of course, will be purple regardless of growing conditions.

Latest posts

Latest posts