What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Hot Is Your Flower?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
So I'm on the right track. Anyone have the links handy? Still on mobile for a few days, so research is painfully slow.

Cvh

Supermod
Here are a few interesting threads about the subject (with also some references to tobacco).

Fine White ash:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=234942

White ash test a myth?:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=229630

According to the tobacco peeps white ash is a sign the tobacco was grown in a soil which was high in P and Cal.
https://www.cigarjournal.com/ashes-to-ashes/
https://cigarassociation.org/blog/what-ash-tells-you-about-your-cigar

And here is an (old) study I found:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/03758397.1960.10857675

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Here are a few interesting threads about the subject (with also some references to tobacco).

Fine White ash:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=234942

White ash test a myth?:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=229630
These threads almost get around to cannabis as an accumulator. None of them have any mineral content info, only grow condition info. I can see the growers with imbalanced nutrient profiles from their comments.

Rather interesting, though not particularly helpful. I'll catch the tobac links tonight. Thanks again. :)

Something you might try is to put a little of your different fertilisers on a smoking paper, dry it and light it. I wonder if there are some that burn better or bader.

Of course doesn't mean much finally.

But its all been said

Douglas.Curtis

Something you might try is to put a little of your different fertilisers on a smoking paper, dry it and light it. I wonder if there are some that burn better or bader.

Of course doesn't mean much finally.

But its all been said
Interesting... noting the burn temps might help.

On the multi-test front, wondering about adding before/after weights. Weighing a gram, then weighing the ash. Possibly a lowest temp/time to white ash test?

Douglas.Curtis

Went through the tobac links.

The first two are excellent information on cigars. Not too much related material there, except the differences in burning temps/speed and the effect on the ash.

The last study was interesting because they actually sprayed tobac with various salts and compared the ashes.

With the exception of calcium and magnesium (within limits), the added salts darkened the ash. No burning temps were recorded.

Too late to contemplate. Anyone else awake and gone through them? What's your take?

Brother Nature

My flowers are hot as fuck.

Attachments

• flowers - Copy.jpg
    flowers - Copy.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 11
Interesting... noting the burn temps might help.

On the multi-test front, wondering about adding before/after weights. Weighing a gram, then weighing the ash. Possibly a lowest temp/time to white ash test?

I think there might be confusion because ashing in a lab is not exactly the same as ashing in a joint or pipe, while smoking.

The reason (as much as i know) to increase temperature slowly in a lab setting is that some compounds (terpenes?) can flash ignite. You don't want your material to catch fire, in a lab setting.

Douglas.Curtis

I think there might be confusion because ashing in a lab is not exactly the same as ashing in a joint or pipe, while smoking.

The reason (as much as i know) to increase temperature slowly in a lab setting is that some compounds (terpenes?) can flash ignite. You don't want your material to catch fire, in a lab setting.
We do want to find what doesn't ash properly at joint and bowl temps, so higher may not be necessary.

The bong cleaned up rather nice however the bowl is broken (half missing). Working on setting up to film a deep glass bat bowl instead. ;)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Ya know, it's funny, I never use a pipe. I'm a joint smoker. However, I was in my lab last night testing some Med Tree Continuum for CBD and I had a little popcorn bud left over so I thought I would taste it to see how it tastes. There wasn't really enough for a joint so I filled a bowl. A nice fresh, clean bowl.

When I lit it and smoked it, I was amazed at how white the ash was. I'm not sure if I only noticed it because of this thread or because it was actually white white white.

So, I filled another bowl and did the thumb test. ROTFLMAO.... it actually worked. Put my thumb down on those coals and never felt the heat. Really weird.

I previously just figured Curt was ... well, you know.... a little numb in the thumb. LMAO j/k bud. ;)

However, I must say, this pot was grown under the same conditions as all my grows and my ash is not usually this bright white. I would say, strain had a lot to do with it.

Douglas.Curtis

Ya know, it's funny, I never use a pipe. I'm a joint smoker. However, I was in my lab last night testing some Med Tree Continuum for CBD and I had a little popcorn bud left over so I thought I would taste it to see how it tastes. There wasn't really enough for a joint so I filled a bowl. A nice fresh, clean bowl.

When I lit it and smoked it, I was amazed at how white the ash was. I'm not sure if I only noticed it because of this thread or because it was actually white white white.

So, I filled another bowl and did the thumb test. ROTFLMAO.... it actually worked. Put my thumb down on those coals and never felt the heat. Really weird.

I previously just figured Curt was ... well, you know.... a little numb in the thumb. LMAO j/k bud. ;)

However, I must say, this pot was grown under the same conditions as all my grows and my ash is not usually this bright white. I would say, strain had a lot to do with it.
LOL! Good for you :)

You would have voted for me being full of it. lol Glad you found the truth with a good example. Now I'm intetested in sampling some. lol
:tiphat:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I never vote until I have all the facts so.... you would have been OK. LOL

I have some Afghan that I grew in salt, sprayed with Azamax every week and fed nothing but Miracle Grow nutes. I'll try that next. ;)

Douglas.Curtis

I never vote until I have all the facts so.... you would have been OK. LOL

I have some Afghan that I grew in salt, sprayed with Azamax every week and fed nothing but Miracle Grow nutes. I'll try that next. ;)
I would recommend a heat resistant glove for that one. lol

Douglas.Curtis

Disclaimer: I am not very skilled at making videos. lol I shot the smoking portion without being able to see the screen.

Note the lack of need for a grinder and the single stem for each flower. I packed it tight, with a freeze frame to show it. The attached photo shows how small and fluffy the ash ended up as.

This is poorly flushed, early cut and I almost pulled my thumb off, but it cooled so rapidly it wasn't 'hot.' LOL

Anyone out there better at making videos? I'm guessing a lot. :)

[YOUTUBEIF]https://youtu.be/0onjf-aPdTw[/YOUTUBEIF]

Attachments

• DSCN2909.jpg
    DSCN2909.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 11

Douglas.Curtis

How can you touch the ashes with your thumb?
Or what is the distance between ash and thumb?
Did you watch the video?

My thumb is jammed down on the ash, pressing it down in the bat. This is the whole point of this thread, the cherry/ash is not hot. This is "CLEANLY" grown cannabis. (and this is hotter, lower quality larf, not even the nicest flowers from this poorly flushed, early cut run.)

You thought I was kidding??
(edit: Oh! Did you mistake the cashed bowl photo for something else? The photo was taken many tokes later. Long after the video of the first toke.)