Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Problems with germination peat pellets

Thread Title Search
Problems with germination peat pellets Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2018, 11:04 PM #1
eebbnflow

eebbnflow will become famous soon enough
Problems with germination peat pellets

Hello , I have been having this issue a lot when I buy seeds and try sprouting them , I’ve kinda gave up . I use to use coco then found better success in peat pellets .

I soak the pellets for hours in bottled water .nestle . Put the seed in the pellet put the pellets in a humidity dome . I ring the pellets out a bit so they are not water logged . Out of 6 I get maybe 1 survivor. I’ve done it many different ways . Paper towel method . Soak seeds in a glass of water ect. They look like they are yellow and. Out of food. Plz help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF08BFB4-7E91-40EC-B5CD-864D597E05E9.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	477438 Click image for larger version

Name:	1C656B4F-CC15-4729-B18E-3B0F80D13F8D.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	477439 Click image for larger version

Name:	9E3AB0D4-5368-4092-BCAB-CC1F904C7186.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	477440 Click image for larger version

Name:	2F3CDD0F-21E9-4FF4-BF76-905E0B891E62.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	477441
eebbnflow is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:06 PM #2
eebbnflow

eebbnflow will become famous soon enough
I can tell from past experience that these will stall where they are . The small tiny leaves in the middle will never grow anymore . These are GG#4 :(
eebbnflow is offline Quote

Old 11-21-2018, 12:16 AM #3
brickweeder

brickweeder is a jewel in the roughbrickweeder is a jewel in the roughbrickweeder is a jewel in the roughbrickweeder is a jewel in the roughbrickweeder is a jewel in the roughbrickweeder is a jewel in the rough
it looks like roots are poking out of some of the pellets...get them in some soil or whatever media you use.
brickweeder is offline Quote

Old 11-21-2018, 01:35 AM #4
Cantharellus

Cantharellus will become famous soon enoughCantharellus will become famous soon enoughCantharellus will become famous soon enough
Plant them up and forget about the humidity dome. They look wet. Once you plant them don't keep them wet like that. Give them a little water and then let them dry out a little before you water again. Ditch the Nestle bottled water. For one they are evil. For two it is tap water from somewhere else. Use your own tapwater or rainwater or r/o water whatever you want. You need to know the PH of the water I am assuming you don't know that or you would not be using Nestle bottled water. The ph you will need the water to be will depend on your medium. Soil is the most forgiving...

Those will grow for sure. If I use pellets like that I usually wait for a root to shoot out before planting them up. If you keep them too wet that will not happen...
Cantharellus is offline Quote

Old 11-21-2018, 03:00 PM #5
Creeperpark

Creeperpark will become famous soon enoughCreeperpark will become famous soon enough
Smile bury 1/2 pellet

Hay bro, if you plant the peat pellet 1/2 deep in the top of the soil you are going to use in a pot. It will sponge up the nutrient from the soil and feed the sprout. Plus it will adjust to the new environment. If you are in a big hurry you can cut 1/2 off the peat pellet off and bury it in the new soil pot. Don't wait!!!

So in the future when you first see the sprout pop then bury the pellet in soil half way and water the pot not the pellet, and your good to go from there.
Creeperpark is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:07 PM #6
aridbud
automeister

aridbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond repute
It's been our experience that peat pellets are a tad hot for cannabis seed propagation. Vegetables are no problem, but cannabis seems to suffer. Better to use Root Riot or rock wool to start. We just use perlite/peat/sand mix.
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders in the USA and offer 27 autoflowering strains, 9 photoperiod in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus at down to earth prices. Now 12.50 years running strong!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 11-24-2018, 10:18 PM #7
J-Icky

J-Icky has a spectacular aura aboutJ-Icky has a spectacular aura aboutJ-Icky has a spectacular aura about
I gave up on peat pellets really quick after I tried sprouting 6 seeds, 2 at a time and not one lived.
I always soak the seeds in a cup of water over night, then into a paper towel if needed. Sometimes the seeds crack open in the water, if not never more than a few days in the towels. From there I went into the pellets and only 1 ever popped out and that one never did anymore. The other 5 rotted inside the pellet.
Now I just use a mix of equal parts promix organic and coco in party cups. Haven’t had a single issue but man do I have a ton of extra peat pellets I’ll never use.
J-Icky is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2018, 10:52 PM #8
Shmavis
Being-in-the-world

Shmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud of
Is Fox Farm's Light Warrior available in Canada? If not, get a mix specific for starting seeds and start them in seed starter peat pots. Or even the cheap plastic starter trays. I like peat pots for burying when up-potting so not to disturb (possibly damaging) young roots. But the cheap plastic ones are not too hard to rip carefully.

Good luck!
§467. I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again “I know that that’s a tree”, pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: “This fellow isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.”

― Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty
Shmavis is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2018, 11:10 PM #9
Lost in a SOG

Lost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud of
I messed around with root/propagation cubes on quite a few occasions over the years but found seedlings just dont prefer them to sterile weak finely graded soiless medium because they have taproots unlike clones, which only form lateral roots, and the taproot gets stifled easily which pisses seedlings off. It just wants to zoom down through soil.

I soak seeds in 3% h2o2 water solution until tails are out then in to presoaked through and left to drain light soiless mix and under about 1-2 cm of that lightly soaked mix.. 100% everytime no stress.. just mist the top of the soil a few times a day until they're up and keep at 75-80% RH until flower..
Lost in a SOG is online now Quote

Old 11-26-2018, 05:37 AM #10
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

dank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivor
5 gal peat
2.75 gal coir
.75 gal EWC
.75 gal black kow
.5 gal chunky perlite
.5 gal vermiculite

2/3c crab meal
2/3c kelp meal
2/3c oyster shell flour
1/2c dolomite limestone
1/3c gypsum
2 tbsp DE/Calcium Bentonite

1 tbsp Bio-Ag Endo Vam
1 tbsp Bio-Vam

Seeds and clones like this as a basic planting mix.

dank.Frank
self-justifications catering to the morally
ambiguous for the sake of the
ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR
dank.frank is online now Quote

5 members found this post helpful.