What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone handwatering with a wine aerator? worth it or a waste of time?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would imagine that would take forever to pour a gallon of water through.

I would also imagine that using a wand or can with a sprinkler head would provide more aeration to the water at a much faster rate simply due to more surface area exposed to air via small droplets.

Max Headroom

Veteran
it does take a bit to get the water through, but it's not too bad. i usually have the problem that i'm too impatient anyway and dump a quart at a time on the soil, which tends to run off instead of soaking the soil evenly.

X

xavier7995

That slower watering rate is actually a good point. Cant say i would go get one just for this, but if you have it laying around...why not.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
If you are not watering from the hose with a watering nozzle/wand, then buy yourself a Hawse can!

Americangrower

Veteran
I can see using it for seedling to help pour around the young stem. It would take me like 4 hrs to water my plants with that, wand, trash barrel and sub pump I'm done in 20 mins.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
If you're only using a couple gallons at a time for your watering needs,
I think you'd save yourself lots of time by just pouring the water back and forth between 2 buckets a few times prior to watering..

Amynamous

I often add some hydrogen peroxide when i mix the nutrients and water, a few ounces per gallon. At that low concentration it doesn’t hurt the plant, and it oxygenates the roots.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
... I think folks are overthinking/engineering stuff to get the last possible gram. When and where are some of the practices mentioned here, ever apply to any other plant? A properly mixed and aerated soil will look after itself quite nicely and your girls will love you for it

Max Headroom

Veteran
thanks for the comments everyone.
i use rainwater that's been sitting in a barrel for a while, so i guess some aeration won't hurt. i'll just give the wine pourer a try on my next run, i don't expect any magic. for the small handful of plants i have its no bother but i can see the slow pouring speed being a pain in the ass with higher numbers.