What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Should I avoid feminised seeds when choosing a female for breeding?

Dr Watt

Who What
On issue of DRY seeds before fridge/freezer - I'd guess getting the seeds BONE dry is correct >>> ie Put seeds in a warmed place so they dry completely.

Wheat and weed are said to store at 8>12% moisture (water). There would be a similar number for Seed and I am curious if that number is below 8%.

I'm also very interested in claims of germinating 7 yr old seeds (even tho from MrNIce) > watt I am saying is the seeds do not store well > and that applies to nearly all 'Bought $$$' and it came from the inception of the industry back in 1984.

Really, jars of various crosses stored for just 3 years in a bedroom, weatherboard house with temperature ranging from 15c to 21c (hopefully not up to 25c which is possible during summer).

These seeds were given to a Lab guy who couldn't get em to go and he was working in a related field. My associate may have lied about giving seeds to the Lab guy > he's like that.

My efforts on 20 yr seeds saw tails (very promising) then they stopped. My attempts at Superthrive and even Nitrozyme didn't work but, with hindsight, I used too much. I think the seeeds good start was why the Lab guy was contacted.

Dissapointing for the guy who did all that seeding with SkAfgh and Pluton2.

Get this ! NONE OF THE SEEDS WERE EVER GERMINATED. ie None given away to friends or tested. He had the seed mother cloned and producing great bud already.

The seeds he produced looked very impressive - no hack job.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I just listened to shaping fire podcast interview with Caleb Inspecta.

The podcast was about fem seeds.
He said that if you don't want to work with fems, then you can't work with alot of today's genetics like Cookies.
https://www.shapingfire.com/

ahortator

Veteran
If I can chose I would use normal seeds (with males and females). However a female plant from feminized seeds should be like any other female, so if you have males it would be OK for breedings. A friend told me about lack of vigour in fems. But I really don't know beuase I strongly dislike the concept of the lack of males in the seeds, so I refuse to grow fems. I like to grow marijuana as it has been grown since centuries ago with males and females, and I don't like to mess with chemicals as STS. Some of you say it is very easy blablabla... But I really preffer using males for making seeds it is the easiest way because the plants make the seeds themselves without help or effort.

About old seeds. It would be great to germinate really old seeds from long ago lost strains. Most of them sativa landraces, more interesting for me than modern depleted hybrid genepool. But if those seeds haven't been kept at least refrigerated or frozen it is really difficult they are still alive.

Anyway, you can try this prosimising way of germination.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=334985

Or if you have new seeds and you cannot keep them in the fridge:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6385474&langid=9

CannaZen

Found a male preflower on my auto lowryder vision plant and one of the lower branches mutated into a double branch reminiscent of polyploidy. The plant looks heavily generic like it had been self pollinated too closely many times for me to put them into the genepool however worth collecting seed.

Last edited:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
**facepalm** read your post just a wee bit wrong. You are indeed correct. LOL

So sorry, I had to reply publicly to confirm that we both were stating
the same results of pushing hormones.

No worries, although I worry that some read these posts and
interpret the info that supports their notions, and ignorantly deny
the science behind what occurs in hormone forcing.