What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who's for Euthanasing Themselves?

soil margin

Veteran
I think people have a basic human right to determine their own destiny, which means you shouldn't have to keep living any longer than you want to. When you feel that you no longer enjoy being alive, it should be completely within your rights to end your life however you want, assuming no one else is harmed in the process. I view it kind of like hard drug use in that I don't want people to do it and I'm not going to encourage it, but I would certainly fight to defend someone's rights to do so.

Good idea. I believe our lives and conciousness should be our responsibility and no one elses. Makes sense to pick your own time. One of my biggest regrets is not taking my grandpa, when he asked, up the mountain where his pops died sitting under a favorite tree. Grandpa wound up in a nursing home and my mom told me he'd asked her for a gun so he could shoot himself. He was miserable. I prefer to depart quietly on my own terms.

soil margin

Veteran
Good idea. I believe our lives and conciousness should be our responsibility and no one elses. Makes sense to pick your own time. One of my biggest regrets is not taking my grandpa, when he asked, up the mountain where his pops died sitting under a favorite tree. Grandpa wound up in a nursing home and my mom told me he'd asked her for a gun so he could shoot himself. He was miserable. I prefer to depart quietly on my own terms.

Yeah I know what you mean shelly. One of my grandfathers ended up dying slowly and painfully in the hospital after a lifetime of drinking and smoking. No one in the family wanted to "let him die" so to speak and so he ended up just having to sit around on life support for days and weeks until God finally did his thing. Was unfortunate and knowing his personality I'm sure he would have preferred to just end it but unfortunately he was unable to even just speak or communicate towards the end. I definitely can say personally there is just about no other way I would rather die less than lying in a hospital bed staring at the clock tick by. Just feels so unnatural and sterile.

CaptainDankness

I'm against suicide but at the same time I have a lot of suicidal thoughts. Disabled at 32. Now 40 and in pain 24/7 physically and mentally. I think if someone really wants out of this dump we call life, why force them to take the effed up way out?

Nobody is forced, people die on accident all the time we're actually kind of fragile. If one wants to die there are many ways. I'd choose spear fishing great white sharks in South Africa myself. :biggrin:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I told a friend of mine that if he ever comes over just to find me a victim of stroke, that he should smother me w/my pillow.......

of course now I'm talking murder :dunno:

M

moose eater

Thanks for posting that MedFaced. A week ago I wouldn't have been able to watch it for poor internet.

I was worried that there would be convulsing or a rejection of the drug, but it was, in the end, what I think death with dignity should be. Pleasant, friends, somewhat positive for the end of the long trail, and the woman had it right; MUSIC!!

That was a very touching video.

Thank you.

Maybe one day we'll be more civilized here, in the 'Land of the Free.'

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
My uncle Frank decided to take his own life when he became incontinent in his 70's - At the end of his road in Ramsgate are some tall chalk cliffs - so he just walked to the end of his road - and jumped off the cliff into the sea - I guess that it was a case of him not being able to bear the loss of dignity - RIP Frank.

If someones quality of life is so diminished by their medical condition - then yes, it is dignified to take ones own life .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ueYxrA-Zs

Deacon Blue - Dignity.

CaptainDankness

Is that the best you can come up with LOL?

Nope, that's just going to be the last stop if my spear hunting safari in Africa takes me that far. :biggrin: I'd even try to steal food from a pack of lions armed with nothing but a spear. Lol, probably try to get close to wild gorillas take lots of pictures maybe even film with a go pro. Really I'll probably meet my fate by the time I get wild Chimpanzees on film and they tear me apart limb by limb those mother fuckers are brutal!! Lol, but I would go out fighting one of them will get a spear to the chest.

I mean if I'm dieing slowly and painfully, fuck that!! Give me a hand full of Percocet and a one way ticket to Africa.

Sounds good to me anyway, you got a better idea?

BabTaHerbless

Hi all...
just a whispered thought while facing Death:

I basically believe that only those whom have really lived or had wished to could call death as liberation but, ehi, there are so many good reason to die nowadays that i personally can't choose a specific one so... instead it... i think i'll force myself to live till the end.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Nope, that's just going to be the last stop if my spear hunting safari in Africa takes me that far. :biggrin: I'd even try to steal food from a pack of lions armed with nothing but a spear. Lol, probably try to get close to wild gorillas take lots of pictures maybe even film with a go pro. Really I'll probably meet my fate by the time I get wild Chimpanzees on film and they tear me apart limb by limb those mother fuckers are brutal!! Lol, but I would go out fighting one of them will get a spear to the chest.

I mean if I'm dieing slowly and painfully, fuck that!! Give me a hand full of Percocet and a one way ticket to Africa.

Sounds good to me anyway, you got a better idea?
Gotcha! :tiphat:

I recall that there's a cultural ritual among a particular Amazonian tribe where the older members simply poison themselves with a plant toxin to rid themselves of burdens placed upon the tribes younger people. I watched a documentary about this tribe, but it was well over a decade ago and their own world has most likely changed drastically since then!

In the old days many people worldwide simply took their sick and aged ones deep into the forests while leaving them to die. Another burden release for the others in the celebration of the circle of life.

Love that old saying "Today's a good day to die" and it is true if you have peace within and I'm not referring to a mindset when I say "Peace" as it is much more intricate then any ideology, and is a reflection of balance between mind, heart and spirit.

Suicide is a very controversial topic, even when we are referring to "Euthanasia" as a more subtle approach to the goal of ending ones life. Naturally Kavorkian was mentioned, and all of us that recall those times know how the masses reacted to this mans assistance for the terminally ill he helped or "Killed".

It saddens me deeply when suicide becomes a permanent solution for temporary problems within the youth, as well as when it takes adults who had so much yet to live for. Suicidal tendencies runs rampant among us American Indians, especially with the youth as the older ones disguised their own suicidal paths with empty bottles and the generalized labels of being "Drunks or Alcoholics" and it was overlooked for decades due to historical trauma.

I have said for years that I will find myself a place deep in the natural world to die if I have any control over this unknown, and I don't mind if the Coyotes and Wolves spread my remains wherever they will..

MedFaced

Thanks for posting that MedFaced. A week ago I wouldn't have been able to watch it for poor internet.

I was worried that there would be convulsing or a rejection of the drug, but it was, in the end, what I think death with dignity should be. Pleasant, friends, somewhat positive for the end of the long trail, and the woman had it right; MUSIC!!

That was a very touching video.

Thank you.

Maybe one day we'll be more civilized here, in the 'Land of the Free.'

I believe things are moving in the right direction. CA and a few other states now allow physician assisted death, but I’m not exactly sure what that means. Unfortunately, I’ve have lost both a young friend and senior aged relative to suicide. In both cases, it was about independence and dignity.

Now, what fun is a heavy Euthanasia thread without some comedy. Hope this makes someone lol.:biggrin:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DwD7f5ZWhAk
From the show Norsemen

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I have a living will, my wife and family are well aware of its content. Euthanasia is legal in Canada.

White Beard

I recall that there's a cultural ritual among a particular Amazonian tribe where the older members simply poison themselves with a plant toxin to rid themselves of burdens placed upon the tribes younger people. I watched a documentary about this tribe, but it was well over a decade ago and their own world has most likely changed drastically since then!

In the old days many people worldwide simply took their sick and aged ones deep into the forests while leaving them to die. Another burden release for the others in the celebration of the circle of life.

Love that old saying "Today's a good day to die" and it is true if you have peace within and I'm not referring to a mindset when I say "Peace" as it is much more intricate then any ideology, and is a reflection of balance between mind, heart and spirit.

Suicide is a very controversial topic, even when we are referring to "Euthanasia" as a more subtle approach to the goal of ending ones life. Naturally Kavorkian was mentioned, and all of us that recall those times know how the masses reacted to this mans assistance for the terminally ill he helped or "Killed".

It saddens me deeply when suicide becomes a permanent solution for temporary problems within the youth, as well as when it takes adults who had so much yet to live for. Suicidal tendencies runs rampant among us American Indians, especially with the youth as the older ones disguised their own suicidal paths with empty bottles and the generalized labels of being "Drunks or Alcoholics" and it was overlooked for decades due to historical trauma.

I have said for years that I will find myself a place deep in the natural world to die if I have any control over this unknown, and I don't mind if the Coyotes and Wolves spread my remains wherever they will..

My family has a history of deciding when to go - in one case, as soon as someone left the room to get her water (at her request)...I have always figured a day would come when I knew, and I would gather a few things, and go find a nice tree with a nice view, make myself comfortable, talk to the wind awhile, sing, pray, and let nature take its course.

If I have a different end, may it buy something priceless

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have a living will, my wife and family are well aware of its content. Euthanasia is legal in Canada.

It's important to make one while you're healthy because if you're a vegetable, or simply can't communicate, you're in for the long haul.

Latest posts

Latest posts