What's new

ADA Americans With Disabilities Act as a defense tool?

SIG

Several years ago I’d saved up for a meeting with the famous cannabis attorney Robert Raich to ask his advice on the stuff I work with. He cost $420.00 an hour and I had a half hrs worth of his time coming but in preparation I got to know his assistant and he was helpful as well. Robert had fought the only supreme court case for cannabis at that time and although he lost it I read through it just because I was going to meet him.

Some of you may remember the case where the DEA raided 2 sick women that had six plants but were also activists. It was obvious the DEA used selective enforcement to silence some vocal cannabis advocates and spread fear.I think they charged them under the commerce clause or maybe it was his defence, haha!

But I wrote my new friend his assistant and said I didn;t think the jury related to his clients which were two women with a long list of ailments Id never hear of. I said seeings how the supreme court back then was almost all real old geriatric men maybe he should have named Bob Dole and Willie Nelson as defendants and said cannabis cured erectile dysfunction.

But here’s what that lead up to, once again I got ta thinkin;and had some thoughts/questions about a defence against Federal efforts to shut down dispensaries. At the time (not sure now) a dispensary wasn’t a normal business it was more of a collective of people with medical issues which I’m sure they at least in part still are. .

But these arn’t just sick people they are also disabled people. The only group that has their own protections agaist discrimination, access etc. Every other minority has general protections for sex orientation, religion, race etc. But disabled people are like a hyper protected endangered species and just because one happens to traipse across your jurisdiction you don’t unleash the full weight of the Federal government and shoot a rocket from a helicopter to kill it.

It would seem that the justice department has the DEA trying to bust disabled people and another agency tasked to protect them for one it seems like a conflict but it would seem before you deprive a bunch of specially protected individuals you should have to have a special permission. You don’t just unleash a bunch of overzealous agents on them.

Anybody know if the ADA Americans with disabilities act has been leveraged as a defense tool? Or thoughts if it could get an agency to “cease and desist” until a hearing or something.

right

I don't believe that they could intervene. We just seen them in action yesterday. ( there laws and protection) my o'l lady is going to be able to get back in the work force thanks to George Bush and his thousand points of light.

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
any violation of the ADA title I II or III has statutory Penalties : fist violation $75,000 second is $150,000......most times just a complaint to Dept of Justice and theyll fight the fight for you and pay you in the end..........

Sounds like a Title II violation

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
I beat an asian fisherman to within an inch of his life, and i was declared a marce sp? victim. in total i recieved $139,000 from his family just before 3 were deported back to china.......3 months ago

ADA protected me

X

xavier7995

Protip: a dr or lawyer that charges 420 bucks for their services isnt worth it, thats a dumb amount to set your fees at an reflects a cynicism toward their craft. Fwiw, i have consulted a lawyer on ADA issues in education that has argued in the supreme court, ran around 500 bucks for the hour but was worth it as he gave us all the neccessary language to use and solid footing to make arguments. Luckily we just had to do the one consult and were then able to take it ourselves. But yeah...dont use professional services that try and wink and nod to weed, they disqualify themselves.

SIG

I beat an asian fisherman to within an inch of his life, and i was declared a marce sp? victim. in total i recieved $139,000 from his family just before 3 were deported back to china.......3 months ago

ADA protected me

Sometimes when i'm bored...I sneak up on bums and hit them with a skillet.