What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guatemala Re-release and Origin of Honduras Line?

Hempy McNoodle

Does anyone know if Ace plans on making the pure Guatemalan landrace available in the future? I sure hope so because I seem to have missed out on them when they where available. I did however score a nice collection of Ace's Honduras line and my understanding is that they were acquired from the same lead or source. Interestingly, from what I understand, the Guatemalan comes from an indigenous tribes' village in the jungle. Does anyone know if the Honduran are also from an indigenous tribe or any other info to paint a picture of the source of these genetics? I just want to know purely out of curiosity. Also, are there any significant differences between the Guatemalan and the Honduras lines. Thanks for any input I receive:)

herbgreen

Veteran
Tikal made with a guatemala selection......

I dont think they plan on bringing that back but dubi will know

You may be able to find old seeds if you really search the web but that was a while ago

Hempy McNoodle

Thanks for the reply hergreen! Yeah, I've scoured the net for any seeds but it is sold out all across the world as far as I can tell. I hope dubi does make it available again some day.

Hempy McNoodle

I just checked them out and it looks like Ace has some other things I missed out on...like that Lao Sativa. Sold out - can't add to cart.

herbgreen

Veteran

Hempy McNoodle

Wow, thanks everyone! Special thanks to you, herbgreen! I was able to snag a pack of Guatemala from Midweeksong:)
And also thanks for the info on the GN seeds!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome Hempy McNoodle :)

Thanks for your interest in our pure Guatemala release and on our other landrace releases.

Yes, indeed the Guatemala line we used to offer came from the same person that shared with us the Honduras, but unfortunately i have lost the contact with him after so many years (we swapped the seeds in 2002 or earlier) so i'm not sure the exact point of origin of the line in Guatemala.

Pure Guatemala was widely available for years, directly from us and from our official retailers. Guatemala has been out of stock for years so i would recommend you to ask to the retailers that still offer it whether they actually have them in stock or not, and in case they do, ask them also about the packing date of their Guatemala packs so you can get an idea of how old they are.

Last time we worked with pure Guatemala was in 2010 and 2013 if i remember well.
I did open pollinate the last generation i worked with the line so i would like to have resources and time to make a proper selection of the latest generation before considering a new release of the strain in pure form.

Right now we are busy with other preservation projects of older landraces not explored yet (most of them dating pre 2010).

Stizo

Veteran
@dubi What was it about the line that made you not continue producing the beans? Do you still have access to parent plants?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Stizo,

Mainly because we have to move forward to explore new landraces and dedicate time and resources to new breeding projects. There must be always a balance between the resources we dedicate to keep in stock our classic strains and the resources we dedicate to preserve 'new' landraces and to develop and test new hybrids. Otherwise, our catalog would static and nothing new would come out.

It also keeps me motivated to work on new things and not just replicate older and sucessful genetic combinations.

But don't worry, pure Guatemala will be available again at some point, but not in short term.

Stizo

Veteran
Guatemala will be available again at some point, but not in short term.

Muchas gracias @dubi. I'm El Salvadoran so central american genetics are of interest to me. I enjoyed a lovely pink pistil pheno of Panama 2014 release I think. Cured it for a year. A pleasure to have. I have some Guatemala and Honduras in the seed stash and have some Mexican and Columbian landrace beans which I'll attempt to grow out and cross together at some point in the future.

Saludos.

xtsho

I did a search but there doesn't appear to be an official Guatemala thread. This is the most recent thread with Guatemala in the title so I decided to resurrect this thread rather than starting a different one.

I recently grew some Guatemala and I'm extremely happy with the consumable product produced. The smoke is reminiscent of the Columbian Gold I remember from the mid to late 70's. A predominantly earthy and woody taste with a hint of citrus and spice that's just barely noticeable. The effect is mellow and calming. If you're looking for a "One Hit" strain this isn't going to be it. If you're looking for a nice smoke rolled up to enjoy while walking around inspecting the vegetable garden then this serves that task exceptionally well.

It was mainly a seed run but I harvested some smokable flower that turned out nice.

I rate it an 8.5 out of 10.

guatemalaflower06092023a.jpg

Last edited:

xtsho

Looks wonderful @xtsho :D Glad you like our Guatemala so much, thanks a lot for your feedback!

I really enjoyed it. The only problem is it's all gone. :( What I got went fast due to it being my preferred smoke. I'm definitely growing it again. But I have to get through half a dozen other ACE strains that I have seeds for but haven't grown.

I'm looking forward to growing the Honduras and Standard Thai. Those two and the Guatemalan/Ethiopian cross I made are going to start off my indoor this year and I'll be starting seeds of those in the near future.

BC LONE WOLF

I have a Honduras 🇭🇳 from Ace at this current moment, I decided to use 1 of the 5 pack offered to the public.

I’m searching for a male, not interested in the flower at this particular project. But of course the interest is of the entire plant and of the pure linage behind.

Hounduras, Guatemala and the Eastern South Yucatán península share relatively same jungle area and most definitely the landrace linage. Besides a few differences in weather pattern, any genotypes grown around these jungles could be very close to each other in terms of phenotypic expression.

3D4DA3B2-8FDE-4F67-975C-FE1DF6258861.jpeg
16B65C54-4321-41B7-8762-3EA5439B3925.jpeg
37C6BEC4-3992-4053-87A0-AC7F0F437FC9.jpeg
D1FE592F-1397-4E21-99E5-03B335B45070.jpeg

BC LONE WOLF

I have a Honduras 🇭🇳 from Ace at this current moment, I decided to use 1 of the 5 pack offered to the public.

I’m searching for a male, not interested in the flower at this particular project. But of course the interest is of the entire plant and of the pure linage behind.

Hounduras, Guatemala and the Eastern South Yucatán península share relatively same jungle area and most definitely the landrace linage. Besides a few differences in weather pattern, any genotypes grown around these jungles could be very close to each other in terms of phenotypic expression.

View attachment 18874459 View attachment 18874460 View attachment 18874463 View attachment 18874462

Update on the Honduras, Male. Very interesting structure. Somewhat of a stem rub
57603DE0-8CE7-4BB1-BD07-DDCD20F1FAB1.jpeg
6C07D290-BD96-40AF-A900-C34571EFABE5.jpeg
A33D2A7A-E488-49D2-BAD6-8A54FB048971.jpeg
E048CBC2-5506-4D9B-8007-944851EFA396.jpeg

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I really enjoyed it. The only problem is it's all gone. :( What I got went fast due to it being my preferred smoke. I'm definitely growing it again. But I have to get through half a dozen other ACE strains that I have seeds for but haven't grown.

I'm looking forward to growing the Honduras and Standard Thai. Those two and the Guatemalan/Ethiopian cross I made are going to start off my indoor this year and I'll be starting seeds of those in the near future.

Hi @xtsho if you really like American sativas would highly recommend you to give a try to Panama (if you haven't done it yet) and to Tikal (if you can find last packs available through our retailers), these 2 are our best and most highly worked American sativas strains up to date. Tikal is a 75 % Guatemala hybrid, but much better than pure Guatemala.

Nice looking Honduras male @BC LONE WOLF what do you plan to pollinate with his pollen ?

Latest posts

Latest posts