What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thoughts about e-Fence

Green Squall

My neighbors dog bypasses it all the time. I got a quote done a decade ago and it was ridiculously expensive. I think you best option is fencing off a specific area of the yard or attaching your dog to a long lead.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
My neighbors dog bypasses it all the time. I got a quote done a decade ago and it was ridiculously expensive. I think you best option is fencing off a specific area of the yard or attaching your dog to a long lead.
... something was wrong with his fence, or the intensity was to low and, cheaper than a fence. Did mine myself...

dddaver

Veteran
You actually only need to use it for a while. The dog learns he gets jolted if hr goes past a certain point and will only go that far after a while.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
You actually only need to use it for a while. The dog learns he gets jolted if hr goes past a certain point and will only go that far after a while.

Yup! :) I don't know what OP was talking about but my kit came with little white flags (the visual trainers). So basically you set your wire @ 3ft from the curb or perimeter, creating a 9 foot (no man's land). The dog will get an audible alarm @ 9 ft from the curb (6ft from the wire). He will get a mild jolt @ 6ft from the curb (3ft from the wire) If he crosses the wire he gets a full continuous jolt. My lab got caught one day (in the beginning) and instead of backing up or running on to the street, he ran parallel to the wire, trying to escape the current. Poor dog.

Well one day a kid broke the wire, where the wire was going over the driveway in a PVC tube. Took a couple of weeks before I cut a slit in the driveway and buried the wire there. The dog knew the fence was down and he did wander a couple of times. So after the fence was repaired he went out that night. When he approached the 9 foot mark, he stopped in mid stride (audible alarm) he backed up a couple of steps and turned right. Some asshole fixed the fence LOL. Should have caught that on tape. He also knew when he had his necktie on or off and would wander off into the street, when he didn't have his (shock collar/necktie) on. One smart dog :) He was a 115# black lab. Yes he was a big boy.