What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Naw. We are are equal. I was dirt poor, living in a car once...once.

The problem is 'once' is not something you can count on.

If your job were to dry up and you own a home (mortgage paid off or not) you're stuck or screwed.

Most of us are living on the edge in one way or another and the fact is, the bottom can drop out very quickly and often does.

Let's all sit back and watch what happens to the world economy in the next couple of years as trumps grand plans for MAGA come to fruition.:tiphat::bigeye: :whistling:

St. Phatty

The problem is 'once' is not something you can count on.

If your job were to dry up and you own a home (mortgage paid off or not) you're stuck or screwed.

Most of us are living on the edge in one way or another and the fact is, the bottom can drop out very quickly and often does.

And just that quickly, the pet cat can become Chinese food.

Gry

No reasonable person would argue such points Gypsy, but then reasonable people aren't a problem.

It's those with corporate values that can never get enough which are.
They don't give fuck if you see a doctor, as long as they don't have to pay any taxes.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm all for some social systems here in USA. Social Security, Medicare for the elderly, Vets, the lame and for impoverished children.
I also think fondly of food programs for children.

Health care for all ? No thank you ! People that don't make enough money to supply their own needs...either need a second job, or a better one....maybe a better education.
How about the republican demi god Koch brothers pointing out healthcare for all would cost the federal govt less?

Bro, you gotta leave the debunked bullshit behind! Please don't end up looking like other republicans! Thought is desperately needed on your side of the aisle. And "better education" is becoming harder and harder to achieve in the US nowadays, and conservatives, in the quest to profit, are in the process of killing off education for those who are not already wealthy.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As a moderate democrat, I have hated watching conspiracy theory buffs, racists, nationalists, sheep, fear mongers, jesusfukrs and corporations push people left, help indoctrinate an ENTIRE generation into just jumping onto the dem soc bandwagon. We are gonna end up with a third party alright! Thanks folks! And it ain't the "hellbound" gays or the "lazy blacks" or the "rapey Mexicans" that did this, it's white Christian conservatives that brought this on themselves with the "war on white jesus Christmas born in Kenya religious freedom for white Christians" crowd. Way to go guys!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry Man...not buying it. You are what you make yourself to be. No excuses.

Bad luck ?...doesn't mean I have to pick up the tab.

No other country in the world has as many millionaires.

Not making it ? Take a class or two...

bro, do you live anywhere near Harlem, or downtown Detroit? Atlanta? Little Rock?

Try pitching that spiel to the thousands/millions legitimately looking for work, any kind of work; who when they go out into the realm of applications and interviews already have 2 or sadly, 3 strikes against them because of the color of their skin. Employers not willing to take the risk when so many other (non minority) applicants exist for the opening? Or just plain old racial discrimination.

What class could possibly cover or solve those issues bro?

Which of them have the time or money to attend classes when they need to work instead. :nono:

Withholding healthcare passes poor health from one generation to the next. We'll be guaranteeing that the current/next/future generations of lower/lowest income urbanites have poor health & now pre-existing conditions to contend with if & when they can find/afford medical coverage.

very well thought out, if you're a Hitler type. Kill 'em in their own ghettos, slowly, starve them out; oh golly, it's happening already!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Good for you ! Living the Dream.

I agree...we need more millionaires.

Naw. We are are equal. I was dirt poor, living in a car once...once.

no, we don't need ANY more millionaires or billionaires. instead of bloodsucking weasels stacking more money up than they, their kids, OR grandchildren could spend, why can't they actually pay their employees enough to live a decent life? this was the norm until the late 60s. employers with a conscience actually paid their employees enough to make a living (admittedly, high rates of union membership played a part) rather than squeezing them dry to put more $$$ in their pockets. Henry Ford started this by paying his workers enough that they could actually buy his autos. Wal-Mart etc don't pay their employees full-time wages so they don't have to offer them insurance. we are NOT equal...morally anyway.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah, there is a lot to be said for a more fair distribution of wealth....but that all goes against the profits of the major corporations, so they will continue to stifle unions and bring foreign labor into the mix to discourage anyone trying to organize labor to where the profit share of any bizz is more fair.....

no, we don't need ANY more millionaires or billionaires. instead of bloodsucking weasels stacking more money up than they, their kids, OR grandchildren could spend, why can't they actually pay their employees enough to live a decent life? this was the norm until the late 60s. employers with a conscience actually paid their employees enough to make a living (admittedly, high rates of union membership played a part) rather than squeezing them dry to put more $$$ in their pockets. Henry Ford started this by paying his workers enough that they could actually buy his autos. Wal-Mart etc don't pay their employees full-time wages so they don't have to offer them insurance. we are NOT equal...morally anyway.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Yeah, there is a lot to be said for a more fair distribution of wealth....but that all goes against the profits of the major corporations, so they will continue to stifle unions and bring foreign labor into the mix to discourage anyone trying to organize labor to where the profit share of any bizz is more fair.....

"you have given out too much blahblahblah..." gonna have to get back to you on this, i'm out...as usual. :tiphat:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Equal opportunity to attain wealth is the thing.

If the system is biased against race or gender,
then the system is flawed.

Easy to see, much more difficult to remedy, as nature favors the troll.

packerfan79

Veteran
I never understood the hatred of the rich . Just Envy from my perspective. I can understand why you would hate the spoiled trust fund babies. I don't think it's right to hate the business owner, who works to build a business and 6akes all the risk. Why should you be penalized because you created something people want to buy. I may not have a lot but everything I have I bought. No one gave me shit. I came from nothing, and I appreciate what I have.

As to the title of the thread, I think most people are in agreement that our society is on a crash course.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I never understood the hatred of the rich . Just Envy from my perspective. I can understand why you would hate the spoiled trust fund babies. I don't think it's right to hate the business owner, who works to build a business and 6akes all the risk. Why should you be penalized because you created something people want to buy. I may not have a lot but everything I have I bought. No one gave me shit. I came from nothing, and I appreciate what I have.

As to the title of the thread, I think most people are in agreement that our society is on a crash course.

Most business owners are good people and if they get rich being honest and not causing harm to others or the planet then good for them. Most large coorperations do not fit that description and when they make enough money to alter laws and create false impressions theyvshould be treated like any low level thief or scam artist except with fines and punishment that cooresponds to the harm they cause and the amount of money they make.

packerfan79

Veteran
Most business owners are good people and if they get rich being honest and not causing harm to others or the planet then good for them. Most large coorperations do not fit that description and when they make enough money to alter laws and create false impressions theyvshould be treated like any low level thief or scam artist except with fines and punishment that cooresponds to the harm they cause and the amount of money they make.

It would be used as a tool against the small business man. The big guys would still get away with shit. The small guy will get squeezed out.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
kids-crying-funny-reasons.jpg

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Most efficient way to solve poverty: kill all the poor people!
The horror of the matter is, there are those out there thinking to themselves either, pity we can't do that, or but if we just put gun stores in those areas, they'll kill each other and that will cost us less.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Pretty hard to find any food that resembles something that comes off a plant in most low income areas. Not quite the same but probably kills more people than guns do when you add it all up.

Gry

In a society where people walk by coins without bothering to pick them up, it was the care, that was out of reach.

EvergreenState

Hardly third world status. Hyperbole much? Have you ever been to a 3rd world country? Go there, come back to America and you'll think you landed in heaven.
What has happened around the world is the changing of values. We've gone from valuing people to valuing things. Greed used to be considered ugly behavior in people(Scrooge) and condemded. Not it is the driving force in the world and people are only valuable if you can get them to do work for slave wages and under unregulated conditions. Americans got all uppity there for awhile land wanted safe, clean, healthy working conditions. They wanted employers to be regulated so they couldn't pollute. They wanted benefits and fair wages. Unions demanded these things.
It's hard to get disgustingly rich when the lowly workers demand good working conditions, fair treatment and a high standard of living. So it's off to southeast Asia, India and some Latin countries with the jobs. Low wages, no workers rights, unregulated working environment and escape from taxes. Greed has won.
Most Americans don't understand that only 42% of working age adults have full time jobs, at least 35 hours of work a week, that pay benefits. Gallup did studies, taking all employment statistics available and came to that conclusion. I think they came out with statistics for about 7 or 8 years in a row and the last time they did it was 2016. The government at that time said unrmployment was 6%.
Of course the government considers you employed if you work at least 2 hours every 2 weeks and make at least $25. The government is expert at lying with numbers and having bizarre definitions for words like, employed.
Greed. Greed. Greed and not caring about what happens to your country and fellow citizens.

Gry

Hardly third world status. Hyperbole much? Have you ever been to a 3rd world country? Go there, come back to America and you'll think you landed in heaven.
What has happened around the world is the changing of values. We've gone from valuing people to valuing things. Greed used to be considered ugly behavior in people(Scrooge) and condemded. Not it is the driving force in the world and people are only valuable if you can get them to do work for slave wages and under unregulated conditions. Americans got all uppity there for awhile land wanted safe, clean, healthy working conditions. They wanted employers to be regulated so they couldn't pollute. They wanted benefits and fair wages. Unions demanded these things.
It's hard to get disgustingly rich when the lowly workers demand good working conditions, fair treatment and a high standard of living. So it's off to southeast Asia, India and some Latin countries with the jobs. Low wages, no workers rights, unregulated working environment and escape from taxes. Greed has won.
Most Americans don't understand that only 42% of working age adults have full time jobs, at least 35 hours of work a week, that pay benefits. Gallup did studies, taking all employment statistics available and came to that conclusion. I think they came out with statistics for about 7 or 8 years in a row and the last time they did it was 2016. The government at that time said unrmployment was 6%.
Of course the government considers you employed if you work at least 2 hours every 2 weeks and make at least $25. The government is expert at lying with numbers and having bizarre definitions for words like, employed.
Greed. Greed. Greed and not caring about what happens to your country and fellow citizens.

You asked if I have ever been to a third world country.
Yes, I have lived in several of them.
I worked for the institution you don't think much of.
I was for the most part able to work around very competent
dedicated and decent people.
Many like myself, were following a tradition.
The majority of those I met and worked around were very fine
people with excellent values and standards.
DC is something else.
Yes, there was always the 'other side' to it.
When one lives off of uncle's pay, it is always rough.
There are always friendly corporate people that
are more than ready to 'help' with any tab...
I do not think that an absence of integrity is a government vs corporate
issue at all.
The potential for both positive and negative dwells equally within all.

Thank you much for your contribution

Latest posts

Latest posts