What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

insect pictures

Betterhaff

Veteran
I’m sorry but I hate those horn worms, they can defoliate a tomato plant in short time. Interesting fact, the mother moth only lays a few eggs per plant to assure the hatched caterpillars have enough food.

jimdc

the best time to find these guys on your tomato plants is at sunrise. i know i had a bunch on my plants and found 2 in 1/2 hour of looking in the afternoon. i got up early the next morning and found 47 in 10 minutes. all at the tops of the plants. i put them in a large jar and fed them tomato leaves for a couple weeks and they filled 1/2 that 1/2 gallon jar up with poop. i wonder how good a fertilizer it would make.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Spotless ladybug keeping my plant mite free during early veg.

picture.php

Another spotless ladybug came by later during veg.

picture.php

Wtf is this giant moth? Saw on my neighbor's fence.
Edit: its a Walnut Sphinx Moth

picture.php

This is the first brown mantis i saw at the beginning of flower, saw another a few days later but didnt take pictures.

picture.php

Another picture of the brown mantis.
picture.php

Last edited:

Betterhaff

Veteran
They also come in pink. The pink is the result of a genetic mutation causing the lack of normal green pigment.

Attachments

• pink-katydid.jpg
    pink-katydid.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 43

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’m sorry but I hate those horn worms, they can defoliate a tomato plant in short time. Interesting fact, the mother moth only lays a few eggs per plant to assure the hatched caterpillars have enough food.

Hate em! I feed those to our turtles.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Here in the city, we only get one kind of bug... this is a whore bug (the one on the bottom). The one on top is called a John bug.

Wish I lived in the country....

Attachments

• bugfuckers.jpg
    bugfuckers.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 49

jimdc

i left an old cookie sheet outside and it rained.a couple of days later i noticed these purple spots in about 1/4" water in the cookie sheet. i couldnt tell what they were so i used a pair of 25x glasses and saw what looked like life on an alien planet. 100s of purple grubs with 3 other types of bugs on top. some of the other bugs were eating the puple grubs on others looked like they were protecting them. i watched for over an hour. i have never seen these before or since. anybody know what they are? the big circle is about quarter size.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
i left an old cookie sheet outside and it rained.a couple of days later i noticed these purple spots in about 1/4" water in the cookie sheet. i couldnt tell what they were so i used a pair of 25x glasses and saw what looked like life on an alien planet.

picture.php

jimdc

i soaked some manzanita in a 55 gallon plastic barrel and after 2 weeks, honey bees really craved the water. there were 100s of bees on and around this barrel today.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Saw a green mantis today on the wall behind my plant.

picture.php

2 spiders took up residence on my plant, webs are side by side i think male and female. Today they caught honeybees, bad spiders...

picture.php

This one caught 2 honeybees in its web today.

picture.php

Betterhaff

Veteran
There was a mantis on the antenna of my van yesterday morning, just perching. Went to get my phone for a pic but he was gone when I got back. Was going to also grab him and put him in the garden. Good to see them around though.

A few years ago one laid an egg pouch on a trellis in my garden. When they started hatching it was a riot. Those little suckers were like miniatures of the adults but seemed so much more aggressive, even cannibalistic. Didn’t have too many insect problems that year.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
A few years ago one laid an egg pouch on a trellis in my garden. When they started hatching it was a riot. Those little suckers were like miniatures of the adults but seemed so much more aggressive, even cannibalistic. Didn’t have too many insect problems that year.

"zoologists from Switzerland and the United States have published research indicating that mantises also kill and devour small birds on all the continents except Antarctica.

The mantises usually “pierce the skull to feed on brain tissue,” said biologist William Brown of the State University of New York at Fredonia.

zoologists pored through records — including published studies, academic papers and even social media posts — to find records of mantises capturing birds. In all, they found 147 documented cases, spanning 13 countries. The earliest case they include was from 1864, but 67 percent of the cases were between 2000 and 2015.

The most frequently documented victims of the mantises were ruby-throated hummingbirds in the United States. More than 70 percent of the cases found were mantises eating hummingbirds in the U.S., often when the birds were visiting hummingbird feeders or home gardens".

source:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/praying-mantises-eating-birds-brains_us_59610ff4e4b0d5b458eac95e

"Only about four inches long, mantises have also been known to ambush mice, feast on lizards, and violently cannibalize members of their own species. Generally, though, their meals of choice are other smaller insects, especially pollinating insects such as bees."

source:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/mantis-hummingbirds-predation-photograph-animals/

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Seen a glimpse of one of these last year but couldnt get a picture. Saw one again today and got a picture to share finally!

Golden Buprestid Adult, can take 50 years as a larvae to reach adult stage!

picture.php