What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

best breeds of dogs to have living with cats

MrBungle

dogs are social creatures.... cats aren't so much.... its as much up to the cat as it is the dog.. no matter the breed its going to be curious to start out... your best bet is to integrate their lives as soon as possible... uptight situations remove the cat to a safer place.. they will learn to get along on the cats terms mostly

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
dogs are social creatures.... cats aren't so much.... its as much up to the cat as it is the dog.. no matter the breed its going to be curious to start out... your best bet is to integrate their lives as soon as possible... uptight situations remove the cat to a safer place.. they will learn to get along on the cats terms mostly
Hey MrBungle,,
Thanks for the info,
We have two females and one male Burmese ( all newted) and I can't imagine anyone being his boss so will need to choose carefully,,,,,s2

packerfan79

Veteran
In my experience it's easier if they are raised together. I have a German shepherd, and a black/chocolate lab mix, we have a year old cat, who acts more like a dog. The cat harasses the dogs.

troutman

Seed Whore
From what I've seen with other people is that most dogs hope they get left alone.

Baby kittens sure like chasing that big dog tail. :laughing:

Americangrower

Veteran
We have 2 kitten/cats 1 year old and a 3 year old sheltie. They play and love each other all day, the easiest way to have them get along is by intergrading them right from the start.
Like others have said its really not the dog that will be the problem it will be the older cat or cats.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks so very much for all the replies,,,
i know our spoilt and very pampered 3 house cats wont be happy intially but all they know is love so hoping that transfers to the puppy from them,,,,,
fingers crossed and toes whilst i am typing lol,,,,s2

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Have Australian Shepherd/Rottweiler mix and cat. They are best buds. Well... The love to play fight. Cat loves to cuddle... Dog tolerates it... Sometimes.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think that labradors get on well with cats.

yes,,,its a Black Labrador that we are going to get,,,,
looking at breeders at the moment,,,,,,
Down to 2 cats now after losing our 15yr old Burmese 2 weeks before xmas,,,
So a puppy will keep the other two busy,,,,s2:tiphat:

newbert

most mutts. spaniel/spaniel mix and various other gun dogs like labs isnt a bad idea. stay away from french bulldogs, english bulldogs and pugs unless youre looking for exorbitant vet bills. if you want to spend 5-10 years nursing a malformed creature then by all means. other wise theres plenty of much healthier dogs available at your local shelter. theres no reason for anyone to buy from a breeder really, unless youre using the dog for work in which case you wouldnt be asking this question in the first place.

enjoy your lab, good dogs. get the food ready though, they eat like stoner hippos lol

Gedöns

Good friends of us had 3 labradors or mixes and they all came along really well with their 2 cats.

Greets

armedoldhippy

Veteran
my neighbor has a 70 something lb pit that plays with his cats. unfortunately, he wants to EAT my cats...great dog though. a big baby unless you speak fluent "meow"...

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Our Black Labrador pup comes home next week,,,,,
a gorgeous little thing,,,,,
pics once his home,,,,

Golden doodles are the best dogs hands down! Ok I'm biased, but seriously, they are awesome.
Black lab will do on a pinch tho, hope you have a great life together with it.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Golden doodles are the best dogs hands down! Ok I'm biased, but seriously, they are awesome.
Black lab will do on a pinch tho, hope you have a great life together with it.

Thanks very much Baked,,,,s2:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts