What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

gumzgi

the cob for me its very different from the normal bud, the smoke its very dense and it smelllls like you want to hide the smell couse somebody will smell it, from me every normal bud i leave on desk it takes humidity from the room in him and get bad, the cob it doesnt take humidity even after one week left on the desk it smokes great and smells great : )

Tangwena

Veteran
the cob for me its very different from the normal bud, the smoke its very dense and it smelllls like you want to hide the smell couse somebody will smell it, from me every normal bud i leave on desk it takes humidity from the room in him and get bad, the cob it doesnt take humidity even after one week left on the desk it smokes great and smells great : )
Hi my friend you will notice a fat joint burns forever as well. Burns slow and even, great for a party they just keep going the rounds and never seem to finish ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
I have a grow at the moment mostly Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopia with a couple of Mulanje from 2019 seeds.
AND just for good measure a Zenith and two Panama from Ace.
Its a staggered grow on 10hrs lights on which sexes them real quick and hopefully keeps the stretch down to less than a meter.
I'm enjoying the cobs from that years seeds that I made in 2021 so they are well aged now and want to put some more down to age like wine for future enjoyment.
I should be able to harvest the first buds after new year and then every couple of weeks from there.
Which means they will be flowering in the heat of summer just like their home in Malawi.
img_3256-web.jpg

The Panama are the fat leaves on the left about a foot tall and preflowering.
The tub on the right is Mulanje and Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian just starting to show sex.
The taller ones at the back are Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian which I have had to bend LST style.
They are just finishing pre flower stretch and should start buds soon.
My favorite are the Mulanje leaning plants they are going to be huge single cola plants the ones I love.
img_3260-web.jpg

But the real magic happens when I mix the buds from the two plants the short and the tall in the cobs and cure them.
Something about the mix of the two highs makes a result thats better than either on their own.

ost

I have a grow at the moment mostly Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopia with a couple of Mulanje from 2019 seeds.
Its a staggered grow on 10hrs lights on which sexes them real quick and hopefully keeps the stretch down to less than a meter.
I'm enjoying the cobs from that years seeds that I made in 2021 so they are well aged now and want to put some more down to age like wine for future enjoyment.
I should be able to harvest the first buds after new year and then every couple of weeks from there.
Which means they will be flowering in the heat of summer just like their home in Malawi.
View attachment 18907662

The tub on the right is Mulanje and Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian just starting to show sex.
The taller ones at the back are Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian which I have had to bend LST style.
My favorite are the Mulanje leaning plants they are going to be huge single cola plants the ones I love.
View attachment 18907663

But the real magic happens when I mix the buds from the two plants the short and the tall in the cobs and cure them.
Something about the mix of the two highs makes a result thats better than either on their own.
things like this are good to know@Tangwena!

wuluz

Yesterday I made my first cobs with an Indica lady, it wasn't an easy job as the flowers were very hard after 4 days of drying. The smell after opening was slightly sour with walnut, actually quite pleasant :) The lady I processed is a Mazar Kush from World of Seeds Bank. I'm curious about the effect.
Does anyone have any experience with mature Indica Cobs?

DSC_6190a.jpg

CDNINCA

View attachment 18907662

View attachment 18907663

Nice looking grow @Tangwena ! It looks like you have plenty there to keep. you "busy" for a while eh? I like the staggered growing approach - it's a good one, especially if they all end up finishing at different times. I find it much better if I can harvest one plant, hang and dry it, then put it into jars for curing/cobbing which makes space for the next one to come in. It doesn't always work out that way, but if it does it makes things easier to manage!
Nice looking selection of genetics too! :) Cheers!

Last edited:

ost

Yesterday I made my first cobs with an Indica lady, it wasn't an easy job as the flowers were very hard after 4 days of drying. The smell after opening was slightly sour with walnut, actually quite pleasant :) The lady I processed is a Mazar Kush from World of Seeds Bank. I'm curious about the effect.
Does anyone have any experience with mature Indica Cobs?

View attachment 18907905
none yet for me, my friend, next door says he learns quick ,on the amount of cob, he hacks off to chew!

Buzzzzd

what size pipe and how long is it to make a 2 oz cob?
I use a 3/4" copper pipe and a 2.5" cob generally averages about 17 grams before sweat. So I guess that would be about a 1/2 oz.
OK, quick update....
Here they are with the weights before cure...
DSC05918.JPG

And after the cure....
DSC05952.JPG

In a baggie with a hygrometer to check moisture.....
DSC05955.JPG

I may need a bigger box!!!!
DSC05956.JPG

Here it is around 2:30 - I took a bang from my one hitter pipe at about 11ish - just a mixture of ground up cob and I'm still buzzing around and giggling at stuff and talking to myself in cartoon voices.
Have I mentioned......I am loving cob!!!! :whee:

Taima-da

@wuluz

Afghan hash plant cobs from some years ago were described by a friend as having an effect like mogadon 😂. Very deep, and hypnotic, but they were quite a lot darker than yours.

A couple ended up as cob oil and mixed with some cob. The effect was overpowering, like the diving bell and the butterfly, locked in body syndrome, almost complete immobility, with the mind free to float.

Beautiful colours in yours, they look fantastic!

Abdthi1966

Premium user
420giveaway
Ost, it was technically a 1 and 1 and 1/4 inch bathroom pvc part that I bought new, and then I used a similar sized dowel rod and a hammer. It feels hopeless trying to get it compacted initially but damn does it shrink with that hammer hit.

Just waiting to see some shrinkage and losing vacuum so I can reseal the cobs if necessary but otherwise I’m toying with just leaving them for two weeks without touching them. They were wrapped so tight initially I can’t imagine mold would be possible. As long as the seal holds of course, which I’m checking twice a day or so.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37

Tangwena

Veteran
I use a 3/4" copper pipe and a 2.5" cob generally averages about 17 grams before sweat. So I guess that would be about a 1/2 oz.
OK, quick update....
Here they are with the weights before cure...
View attachment 18908200
And after the cure....
View attachment 18908201
In a baggie with a hygrometer to check moisture.....
View attachment 18908204
I may need a bigger box!!!!
View attachment 18908209
Here it is around 2:30 - I took a bang from my one hitter pipe at about 11ish - just a mixture of ground up cob and I'm still buzzing around and giggling at stuff and talking to myself in cartoon voices.
Have I mentioned......I am loving cob!!!! :whee:
Nice looking cobs man I was salivating over the dried look of the cobs.
I would still vac seal them for aging though if they were mine they will cure even further that way.

Buzzzzd

I would still vac seal them for aging
Thanx - I was going to ask about the sealing - so they are all vacpacked for storage. I forgot to mention that they smell sort of like a woody, fruity, flowery scent. They are also a bit lighter in colour than the pic shows.
Do you think that the 65% humidity is in line??? Or should they dry a bit further??? I will probably be checking on them on a weekly basis or evenmore often if necessary.
Man, my poor old 72 year old brain struggles to remember all these details!!!!:unsure:

Perdido

3 different levels of dry produced 3 different levels of high
then mine should be heavy.
the buds still felt quite fresh
I opened the tube after 2,1/2 days, pulled the cob out and let it dry for another 1 1/2 day, and I squeezed it back in again. Its half the volume now.
The smell was first a little gasy, but now it smelled flowery again.
I have no idea how long i can leave it like this.

Attachments

• FLC x GMG cob 02.jpg
    FLC x GMG cob 02.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 34

Tangwena

Veteran
then mine should be heavy.

I opened the tube after 2,1/2 days, pulled the cob out and let it dry for another 1 1/2 day, and I squeezed it back in again. Its half the volume now.
The smell was first a little gasy, but now it smelled flowery again.
I have no idea how long i can leave it like this.
Thats a new take on the cure the flowery smell is a good sign though.

Latest posts

Latest posts