What's new

Correct Water Ec

memyselfandi

Big question, or not :p

What is the correct EC for the inicial water to use in the hydro solution, should i use destiled water (EC 0) or should i correct it to 0.4 adding magnesium and calcium ?

Stealthy

IMO it's best to start with distilled or reverse osmosis water with an EC of around 0. You most definitely need to add a cal/mag suppliment when using pure water. I use to use straight up epson salt for my mag additive but I burnt my plants to many times with this method. Now I use Botanicares Cal-Mag Plus and it's great. I almost never have a Cal/Mag deficiency or plant burn with this product.

420guy

cal-mag plus works great...and Stealthy is right, watch adding epsom salt for deficiences, cal-mag is much smoother on the plants in my opinion...stay safe

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I also prefer starting with <14ppm water, and I get mine through a reverse osmosis filter. Not only do I get the most predictable pH changes, I grow my cleanest cannabis with it. My goal is to provide *only* what cannabis needs, and *only* when it needs it. Elements which are not used by cannabis or are available in excess, are still often absorbed and retained by cannabis.

With hydroponic cannabis, I've found the best results with exposing it to the full range of "healthy" pH. I do my best not to add additional buffers to the solution, since these will slow the pH swing as the nutrients are absorbed. When the plant has regular access to all healthy pH levels, it gets easy absorption of all elements. This allows feeding lower strength solutions, while maintaining rapid/vigorous/healthy growth. The less you can feed your cannabis and get great results, the higher the end quality can reach.

I don't believe your question should be "What should I add to my water?" I believe you'll get much better results if you ask "What's missing in my nutrient mix?" I firmly believe water should be used to 'keep your root zone hydrated."
:tiphat:

Beep-Beep

But at all, thanks for answear, this water is from nature fountain. Analysis of this water has pH 6.3 and EC 33.2 ms/m what i see on paper. I grow full organic in soil, so there is reason, why I use water from nature. I never grow hydroponic systems and i havent EC meter. I know only this results of analysis, but do not know how high or low this result is. If 0,332ec or 3.32 EC.
Thanks a lot for answear

Douglas.Curtis

I'm guessing you should have an EC of around .03? What does 14ppm translate to on an EC meter? I'm guessing pretty insignificant.

An EC of 2.0 is pretty strong for cannabis, so (if it's the same measurement system) an EC of 33.2 is much to strong. Filter it.

Gazoo31

In dwc rodi is the way to go. 0ppm. Currently in coco and adding 25 perecent hard tap water. Discovering that alkalinity and ph were two separate things was a real eye opener. Adding the tap back for me has helped stabilize ph levels. Not to mention coco is a cal hog. but for pure hydro using 0ppm water works. Top up with pure ro and adjust ec if needed. Follow Douglas suggestions of rez management.

Only reason I'm in coco now is due to summer heat. Although its not as fast as dwc for me I'm enjoying it, no more pythium worries. However dwc was just about labor free once it was setup.

Douglas.Curtis

I think so. You say TDS and I tak about EC in milí Siemens on meter
The tds I mention is a conversion (.7) from EC to ppm. What's different, is I don't recall ever talking about EC in milli Siemens before.

Is that pushing your decimal point one or more positions to the left? Is there a setting which changes your readout to .33 EC in the same water? .33EC water is pretty common.

Latest posts

Latest posts