What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Did I toast my seed sprouts?

RenaissanceBrah

I put my seeds directly into the wet paper towel method (in total-darkness), and put them on a low-heater.

For a few hours though I think I turned it up too high, and half of my seeds still haven't sprouted (after 5 days).

They're regular, more landrace-type seeds (Congo reg and Nepal Annapurna reg from Ace Seeds). Doesn't look like they've cracked at all.

Should I take them out of the wet paper towel, and put them in water, to see if they sink? Forgot to do that step first... *facepalm*

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
i cooked a batch on accident once remember the seeds being squishy soggy almost. id throw em in soil n see what happens

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I put my seeds directly into the wet paper towel method (in total-darkness), and put them on a low-heater.

For a few hours though I think I turned it up too high, and half of my seeds still haven't sprouted (after 5 days).

They're regular, more landrace-type seeds (Congo reg and Nepal Annapurna reg from Ace Seeds). Doesn't look like they've cracked at all.

Should I take them out of the wet paper towel, and put them in water, to see if they sink? Forgot to do that step first... *facepalm*
IME/O they're toast.

I soak for 18/24 hrs (mostly 18) sinking is not always a "good" indication wrt viability. After they have soaked, I place them in a moist PT in an unsealed baggy, in a cool (room temp) dark place. They germinate within 2 days. My latest bunch, none sank and all sprouted within 2 days.

That being said, I have had beans that didn't do diddly (even after scarification), and that is the beans fault, not how I go about it.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If half of the seeds DID sprout, and they were all together on the heater.. then unlikely that you cooked them because, if so, none would have sprouted. (unless some got hotter than others which seems less likely)
Pure sativa seeds can take at least a week to germ.. so don't give up just yet.
Sinking or not sinking doesn't really tell you a lot either.

My method is to plant the seeds in soil and keep them moist and warm until germed. I may soak them for a few hours first.. i never pre-germinate them. Last batch i got 32 out of 32 germed and above soil.

VG

RenaissanceBrah

IME/O they're toast.

I soak for 18/24 hrs (mostly 18) sinking is not always a "good" indication wrt viability. After they have soaked, I place them in a moist PT in an unsealed baggy, in a cool (room temp) dark place. They germinate within 2 days. My latest bunch, none sank and all sprouted within 2 days.

That being said, I have had beans that didn't do diddly (even after scarification), and that is the beans fault, not how I go about it.

Thanks Switcher

Do you always scarify the beans?

At this point, after 6 days, should I just let them keep trying to germinate in the paper towel? Or transfer them all to 1 solo cup and see if anything pops out?

Don't want to give up hope yet on my babies

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thanks Switcher

Do you always scarify the beans?

At this point, after 6 days, should I just let them keep trying to germinate in the paper towel? Or transfer them all to 1 solo cup and see if anything pops out?

Don't want to give up hope yet on my babies
It depends on the seeds, some seeds are tiny compared to others and difficult to scarify. These days, I don't, unless I have had some seeds that didn't sprout. Then I will scarify (if possible) the next seed I try and germinate.

Wrt should I place them in dirt? At this point you have nothing to loose. Give it a whirl and best of luck.

FWIW, I have had beans that grew tails during the soak :) I once had a bean grow a 3/8" tail. That is abnormal AFAIC but goes to show the vibrancy of that particular lineage. However, most (when this happens) only have a tiny tail peeking out.

RenaissanceBrah

It depends on the seeds, some seeds are tiny compared to others and difficult to scarify. These days, I don't, unless I have had some seeds that didn't sprout. Then I will scarify (if possible) the next seed I try and germinate.

Wrt should I place them in dirt? At this point you have nothing to loose. Give it a whirl and best of luck.

FWIW, I have had beans that grew tails during the soak :) I once had a bean grow a 3/8" tail. That is abnormal AFAIC but goes to show the vibrancy of that particular lineage. However, most (when this happens) only have a tiny tail peeking out.

Thanks!

I took them out and plopped them into some soil... not expecting anything but if something pops out, great.

Tried your 18-24 hr soak method, then direct to soil with a Thai Chi from Ace Seeds... got 1 Nepal Annapurna from them left, going to try to germinate that one as well. Hoping this crop will be my first run at making seeds :)

D

Double_Gulp420

I left mine on accident on a tv receiver with a pair of sweatpants and when I checkedthem with a infrared thermometer it said 110 i thought I was screwed but all of my beans popped now Im just waiting for 4 of the 6 to pop soil now! Let us know how yours turn out!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I left mine on accident on a tv receiver with a pair of sweatpants and when I checkedthem with a infrared thermometer it said 110 i thought I was screwed but all of my beans popped now Im just waiting for 4 of the 6 to pop soil now! Let us know how yours turn out!
Bet you won't be doing that again any time soon :)

RenaissanceBrah

Glad to hear they survived!

My Nepal seeds seem to have been duds from the get go... I started over with new ones, and they're still not sprouting, even though I did everything to a T and tried various methods.

The congo seeds I'm trying to save... doesn't look good, the idea of planting them in 50/50 worm castings and perlite was a bad idea... I transplanted to 1/1/1 compost / peat / pumice, hopefully they'll survive