What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Adding CBD hemp to THC cannabutter

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Well, I put a bunch of "hemp" into the butter along with the ABV. Maybe a 1-1 ratio, but I wasn't doing anything but pouring more hemp in, until more wouldn't fit in the crock pot. With all the butter, and some water, and 75 gr ABV already in there.

First, the added material absorbed all the liquids. Too much is bad. I shoulda stuck to how much material I use in the small crock pot. BTW, I used trim from 20% CBD.

The fresh hemp shed a lot of chlorophyll once I got things working with the liquid, and the subsequent butter is a lot greener. So is my piss I think.

But the biggest difference is the CBD toned down the buzz from the cookies. Sure I feel good, but the buzz is mostly missing.

They say CBD will modulate a THC high, and that seems to be the case. I need to try one of these cookies on a subject who can take a cookie, but ODs. May be perfect for him.

Ima gonna hafta fill a tube and get that THC buzz the old fashioned way, I suppose.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
What a waste of good PVB. :frown: Hemp don't come near this place. We are legal so CBD strains do the job and high quite nicely. I know how I would make my cookies :)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Soooo, it being a Saturday I went on down to the local beer bar and saw the subject I sought. This 67yr old lightweight has gotten bent over for a couple hours after eating one of my orig cookies. I saw him there, still had 2 of these "full spectrum" cookies in the PU, and I got him to eat one. Hadn't eaten much else that day, hardly drunk like he usually gets, perfect test.

Almost an hour later he is running his mouth, says he is coming on, but still vertical. CBD does seem to modulate the effects of the other goodies when eaten. Yeah, don't mix hemp in with the good ABV.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I put a bunch of "hemp" into the butter along with the ABV. Maybe a 1-1 ratio, but I wasn't doing anything but pouring more hemp in, until more wouldn't fit in the crock pot. With all the butter, and some water, and 75 gr ABV already in there.

First, the added material absorbed all the liquids. Too much is bad. I shoulda stuck to how much material I use in the small crock pot. BTW, I used trim from 20% CBD.

The fresh hemp shed a lot of chlorophyll once I got things working with the liquid, and the subsequent butter is a lot greener. So is my piss I think.

But the biggest difference is the CBD toned down the buzz from the cookies. Sure I feel good, but the buzz is mostly missing.

They say CBD will modulate a THC high, and that seems to be the case. I need to try one of these cookies on a subject who can take a cookie, but ODs. May be perfect for him.

Ima gonna hafta fill a tube and get that THC buzz the old fashioned way, I suppose.

Interesting article and educating, as well.

https://www.labroots.com/trending/cannabis-sciences/8647/cbd-negate-thc-high

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
*SNIP

• Yes CBD will tone down THC, that is a given;
  • It all depends what you are after (I suppose);
  • We both know that PVB still contains a lot of juju; that being said
  • strictly using PVB from a high CBD strain, will render a similar high as the main plant did; and
  • CBD from hemp = <0.03% makes it sort of flat, as you mentioned and I have experienced.
It all depends what you are after I guess. Because the variety of strains I use in rotation, having separate jars for each strain, is logistically not practical. It all goes in one jar. The downside, medicinally it is OK, but the high is anything but a flat one, the only way I can describe it, they are fighting each other, in other words, neither know what they are doing. I once compared it to getting drunk on Irish Coffees. Dunno what I mean by that, give it a whirl :tiphat:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Switcher, I currently have 7 diff strains jarred, and all the ABV from them goes into the same container. Since the terps have been stripped off and the material has gone through a heat cycle, I think it is probably similar in composition regarding which oils are still there. I am not vaping the hemp I have now, because it has very little nose, despite claiming 20%. Even the trim.
I'll probably make separate butter from the hemp, to make CBD cookies. Cheaper than the $50/1000mg tincture I was buying.

I was hoping to emulate in my cookies the dope we had back in the 70's, which had CBD. This mystery is compounded with data from Dubi's Lebanese landrace experiment. He has plants 1:1 to 1:30 THC:CBD, and Leb hash made you high didn't it? Maybe the CBD takes up parking spaces in the EC receptor lot, leaving less room for THC.

This added CBD seems to aid sleep though, and that is reflected in the sleep score I get from the O2 ring. That may be from having to cook the butter a lot longer, thus making CBN.

That article on entourage was nice, but the terpenes have a role to play also. Since I vape the terps off ground flower to end up with all that ABV, my system gets a terp bump too.

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Switcher, I currently have 7 diff strains jarred, and all the ABV from them goes into the same container. Since the terps have been stripped off and the material has gone through a heat cycle, I think it is probably similar in composition regarding which oils are still there. I am not vaping the hemp I have now, because it has very little nose, despite claiming 20%. Even the trim.
I'll probably make separate butter from the hemp, to make CBD cookies. Cheaper than the $50/1000mg tincture I was buying.

This is where I was coming from. If wqe take Cw for example. High in CBD and <3% THC. So mostly CBD. That strain aggravates the shit out of me. OTOH, as you know I use a lot of strains that contain 20:1 CBD to THC. I can still feel those in my PVB brownies. The daytime strains are playing against my nighttime strains. It's not really a biggie, just something I noticed.

I was hoping to emulate in my cookies the dope we had back in the 70's, which had CBD. This mystery is compounded with data from Dubi's Lebanese landrace experiment. He has plants 1:1 to 1:30 THC:CBD, and Leb hash made you high didn't it? Maybe the CBD takes up parking spaces in the EC receptor lot, leaving less room for THC.
Yes!

This added CBD seems to aid sleep though, and that is reflected in the sleep score I get from the O2 ring. That may be from having to cook the butter a lot longer, thus making CBN.

That article on entourage was nice, but the terpenes have a role to play also. Since I vape the terps off ground flower to end up with all that ABV, my system gets a terp bump too.
Tomorrow, I will be making RSO out of 28g of Harlequin. Having spent 24 hrs in the freezer (both bud and alcohol). I have a better handle wrt my medication doing it this way, since being a diabetic, edibles aren't really my thing.

I made some RSO out of 2oz of PVB, some potent stuff, but... Sat/Hyb and Ind are fighting each other.

It is always better to state your end goal when you ask questions IMHO.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
<2oz of PVB, some potent stuff, but... Sat/Hyb and Ind are fighting each other>

I am gonna stay out on this limb of mine - what is different between Sativa ABV and Indica ABV, after the terps have been blown off? And if the ABV from various strains is all dumped together, aren't the oils all basically the same anyways? We may modify the THC with heat and time into CBN, but there are only so many different oils.

I think the way the oils are extracted makes the most difference in the effects, and that is mostly the CBN relaxation effect - from too much time & temp.

I am leaning toward the same idea, pot cookies and hemp cookies. That hemp is tempting as it is so cheap.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
<2oz of PVB, some potent stuff, but... Sat/Hyb and Ind are fighting each other>

I am gonna stay out on this limb of mine - what is different between Sativa ABV and Indica ABV, after the terps have been blown off? And if the ABV from various strains is all dumped together, aren't the oils all basically the same anyways? We may modify the THC with heat and time into CBN, but there are only so many different oils.

I think the way the oils are extracted makes the most difference in the effects, and that is mostly the CBN relaxation effect - from too much time & temp.

I am leaning toward the same idea, pot cookies and hemp cookies. That hemp is tempting as it is so cheap.

I was using the same rationale (when I ran my PVB, as you).

We had a discussion in the past, that folks don't wish to vape etc... and, we stated think of it as decarbing your weed while you inhale the volatiles, vice them floating around the oven and house.

If, I decarb my weed for making my mari-pills, that weed is anything but neutral. IOW the effects the weed produces is strain dependent. IOW, there is a delta between white widow and northern lights. Based on this knowledge, why would it be different when the weed is PVB, as I consider PVB as nothing more than decarbed weed?

I will openly state I don't know shit about CBD derived from hemp. That being said, I always stated that THC plays an important role, in the entourage effect, or at least what I understand to be "the" entourage effect.

How effective are CBD derived from hemp? I simply don't know. Based on the 3 month trial I did with them, for my wife and I. We didn't find any benefits from their use. OTOH, ACDC at 20% and 1% THC, saying it is night and day, is still a low ball comparison. I feel the tingling sensation throughout my body, not dissimilar to the falling stars, on the mobile in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bZb10ZxpBk

The video is probably the best I have ran across, bar none. The tingling sensation I mention (above, can be seen, for those finding visual stimulus a better way to understand) starts @ min 11:57 here. https://youtu.be/3bZb10ZxpBk?t=717

When I stated Cw (Charlotte's Web) aggravates the shit out of me. Why? It was designed for one specific task. The treatment of: a Charlotte; and b epilepsy (or forms thereof). I don't have epilepsy.

picture.php

@ min 12:29, it shows the cascading effect. What it doesn't mention, is, if that section of the mobile (the yin and yang receptors) are happy, it simply carries on to the next "green knot (for the lack of a better word). Should one of those receptor seems "wonky", it will do its thing (giving you a little shot (for the lack of a better word). It continues through the body, continuously as long as you have CBD in your system. e.g my size (0) caps, weigh between 0.22-0.26g. I take 2 pills/day. Each pill last 5-6hr (with a plateau between hour 3-4, then slowly coming down. I take my pills 6hrs apart. It is not uncommon for the pill to be active past that. In the evening is when I notice this. Because when I take my 2nd pill of the day, my 1st pill is still very much at work. Some strains (not just high CBD strains (because every strain contains CBD) I alternate between the various strain on a weekly basis, in order not to develop a tolerance to X. This approach is similar to alternating your daily work out, in order to avoid developing muscle memory (or something like that). As it is expecting exercise B after exercise A, your metabolism will not accelerate in anticipation of the strenuous exercise coming, therefore not expending more energy, which is the whole purpose of exercising. (Ya know what I mean)

So... back to the original Q. What it/was your goal/destination?

As I state why I grow a certain way. It is because of "my" environment, under "my" growing conditions. One size does not fit all.

The deed with Harlequin was carried out this am. I'll let you know the final result.

The same applies to strains, now that you have a better appreciation of, how shit is accomplished.

Strains have different terpenes, that define the medicinal side of the plant, read plant. When we decarboxilate the volatile(s) will, volatilize, not dissimilar to vaping. What is not said here, is that only the readily released volatile(s) are volatilized. The terpenes contained in the tissue of the flower/plant, are retained. That is the reason PVB is still good, or else we would simply toss it :tiphat:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I started out for the high, but as my tolerance has built, I also like the feeling almost as much. Pot just makes me feel good, but a little stoopiter.

I think I am going to try to extract the oils from the hemp I have with some Etoh, and try D Gold's isomerization process on the resulting oil. That could be added to the cannabutter when I melt it, looking for bubbles that need decarbing. Add lechithin, and make cookies.

It would be interesting to get a GC-MS plot of terpy flower, then vape it and run the test again to see what has been shed and what remained. Do that for different settings on the vape machine to find your sweet spot. I try to get all the terps, and leave the oils.

One interesting note... I put an glass automotive fuel filter with a 20 micron mesh at the end of my 3' whip. It clogged up with very light oil, so I am getting just to the edge of the oils, probably when I hit a load twice and it gets hotter for longer. I cleaned it in some Etoh, which was still clear after dissolving the oil. That filter is not needed IMO, because no little particles were found in it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts