What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WelderDan tries Autos

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent grow and show.
Yes, a hot medium will definitely stunt ruderalis/autos.

The T. Petrol looks great! Too bad no "scratch and sniff". She'll be ready soon!

WelderDan

Veteran
Excellent grow and show.
Yes, a hot medium will definitely stunt ruderalis/autos.

The T. Petrol looks great! Too bad no "scratch and sniff". She'll be ready soon!

I screwed the pooch on that one, but it's part of the learning curve. The yield will be shit, but it does smell really nice. Has a sweeter smell than the Tomsk Petrol. Not that the Petrol doesn't smell nice, but they are distinctly different. Hopefully the other Magnum Opus is female because it's growing fast and healthy.

WelderDan

Veteran
These two strains are 82 and 87 days, so I guess they'd be classified as 90 day.

Oh, and the other Magnum Opus is female, so yea, gonna get a good comparison between the two strains.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, approximately 85+ days, depending on environmental factors. Gas & Guns, Magnum Opus aren't "Super autos" like several commercial breeders have.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is 600 PPM or 1.2 EC max for auto's??? Are they 60 or 90 day AF's?

Hey there, Loc Dog! Hope you are doing well.

Cut/pasted this from AFN. We do strictly amended organic soil. While Magnum Opus can grow l-a-r-g-e, it's usually finished before 90 days. Depends on several factors.

It's almost impossible to have fast and hard rules on ppm of feeds since the starting ppm of your water factors in as well. Someone using RO is going to get a lower ppm reading than someone using tap or well water that has a starting ppm of 200 or 250. That's why we generally recommend using 1/4, 1/2, etc. Plus there is a lot of difference from stain to strain. An 800 ppm feed may not be enough for some strains but too much for others. Best thing is to watch your plants and learn the signs of over and under feeding, and then adjusting your feeds to the need of that particular strain or plant.

Also, when using Pro Mix, no additional lime is necessary unless you are amend it with castings, manure or guano. Then some additional is needed to compensate for the amendments.

WelderDan

Veteran
Looks like I'll be harvesting the Tomsk Petrol this weekend.

The stunted Magnum Opus is going to be 1 big fat bud, lol

And the other Magnum Opus is coming along nicely

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What did you dust her with....she looks EXPECTANT, water breaking o'er the weekend. ;o)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I hit a lower bud with pollen from a male Tomsk Petrol

Great, Welder Dan!!

Always good to have auto seeds. We ("used to" pre-COVID) spread many of them along streams fishing for trout. Returning later, we'd see several in the stinging nettle or raspberry bushes.

Enjoy your bounty!

WelderDan

Veteran
Damn, I forgot, I haven't done an update. I'll post more picks soon.

Well, the Tomsk Petrol is jarred up. I've been puffing on it and it gets better as it cures. The main bud will cure for a couple months. So far, it's getting better by the day.

The Magnum Opus that got stunted never really did much. It did turn into 1 big fat bud more or less. The Top cola is jarred up with the Tomsk Petrol. I cut it because it looked done. It is pretty sweet smelling. It's jarred up too.

I still have one Magnum Opus going. Shots of it soon

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How'd they taste? Like the AK/ NL component of Tom. Some have gun powder essence.

WelderDan

Veteran
How'd they taste? Like the AK/ NL component of Tom. Some have gun powder essence.

It's hard to put my finger on the taste. Gun powder sort of fits the bill. It's not fuel-ish, but it's mostly just fresh weedy. I haven't had pot to smoke for a bit, so waiting on the cure wasn't happening :D

The main cola will get a proper cure and I can give a proper taste report. Potency is pretty decent, and I'm sure will get a bit better once it cures.

But the smell is nice when you break it up. I think the Magnum Opus smells sweeter. Can't tell which one is more potent, I'm waiting on the 2nd Magnum Opus to finish. It's a bit bigger than the Tomsk Petrol. Nice looking plant.

WelderDan

Veteran
Oh wow, I didn't realize I had not updated this for a while and I need to give a proper update and smoke report. Life has been kicking my ass lately. Not to be too specific, but the wife and I are having some medical issues, nothing serious, but it has had me preoccupied and, well shit happens. Anywayyyyy I'm gonna wrap this.

First and foremost I want to thank Afterthought Autos for the opportunity. I think they make a good product and I'm happy to say that it has changed my opinion about autos in general. Now for a brief description of my experience, and then the all important smoke report.

Both strains were super easy to grow. Easiest plants I've ever grown. Germination was 100%. Plants finished in the advertised time and because I was using organics, all I did was water. The yield was good considering they don't get really big, but the buds were tight and I was surprised how much I got. I never weigh my shit because I don't really care, LOL. Both strains were very similar in growth and potency. The main difference was taste and I'll cover that in the Smoke report. I didn't take any more photos because, well I had other shit going on. But I think the pics already post speak for themselves. Bottom line, I would grow these again. And I will because I made seed! Gonna share a few with my brother and grow some more myself. They are so easy.

SMOKE REPORT!

I know this is what everybody wants to hear. I found both to be similar in potency. I'd rate them a 7 of 10. It was almost as good as the $10 per gram stuff available locally, so no complaints in the potency department.

Taste was about 8. The Tomsk Petrol has a taste I can't put my finger on. Both strains improved after a month cure. The Magnum Opus was sweeter. My sense of smell is pretty bad due to allergies, so I don't get the nuanced smells other people may notice unless it's really LOUD. Both strains cure up nice and I have zero complaints about taste or potency. Both smoked smooth after the cure. Oddly the stunted Magnum Opus was frostier than the other, and I think it was just that pheno was a bit better.

So, in short, my mind has been opened to autos. I would recommend them to anyone wanting an easy growing, fast flowering plant. Shit, you could grow these in the middle of town and and no one would notice. I know I'll be growing more. I've got some regular plants in the tent now that I'm comfortable with the tent and the medium, so I plan on putting some of the seeds I made outside in stages to stagger the harvest so I have a constant supply.

So check out Afterthought Autos. I'm a believer now and I will grow them again. And I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone that is considering autos.

So thanks Afterthought, it was a fun and informative experience!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Welder Dan- thanks for the write up.
Being focused on medical strains for well over a decade, your report, indeed, is helpful for those seeking relief.

I've never found a "`10" in dispensaries, smoking with friends....a few "9"'s for sure. Others on social media sites rate our right up there..."8-8.5".

What most distinguish in our autos is Shit, you could grow these in the middle of town and and no one would notice. I know I'll be growing more. Many have them in their vegetable gardens, obscured from view amongst tomato cages, bean bushes. They are indeed, incognito.

Glad to hear you'll be growing more, WD! Thanks for your report. And do hope both you and your wife are on the mend.

Appreciate the kudos you've given us! Any pics?