What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant Based Diet

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

G

Found an 18-count case of protein shakes at Costco, made from a proprietary blend of veggie and fruit purees and juices, with only 6 grams of carb, 20 grams of protein, and a whopping 680 mg (?) of potassium, among other minerals and vitamins. Made by 'Orgain', and appears to be totally in synch with the limited overlap between a serious cancer diet and a serious diabetic diet. COOL!

Last edited:
G

Have our very first batch of baguettes in the oven, made with almond flour, coconut flour, and ground psyllium husk powder.

The recipe for 8 small loaves used 6 egg whites and 2 egg yolks, at a time that I'm trying to avoid ALL meat proteins, including dairy and eggs.

But after doing some research on protein count in whole eggs, versus egg whites, I figure we're looking at just over a 1/2-gram, maybe just under 2/3 gram of protein in each slice, if a small loaf is cut into 6 or 8 pieces.

So we're hoping these don't do much harm, because otherwise, they have WAY low carbs per slice/piece, and sandwiches are in the scope. We just have to resolve what to put on the sandwich now. Thinking broccoli sprouts, eggplant slices sautéed in coconut oil and garlic, etc., maybe some fresh organic baby spinach, sliced sweet onion, and a dabble of medium coarse spicy brown mustard.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Have our very first batch of baguettes in the oven, made with almond flour, coconut flour, and ground psyllium husk powder.

The recipe for 8 small loaves used 6 egg whites and 2 egg yolks, at a time that I'm trying to avoid ALL meat proteins, including dairy and eggs.

But after doing some research on protein count in whole eggs, versus egg whites, I figure we're looking at just over a 1/2-gram, maybe just under 2/3 gram of protein in each slice, if a small loaf is cut into 6 or 8 pieces.

So we're hoping these don't do much harm, because otherwise, they have WAY low carbs per slice/piece, and sandwiches are in the scope. We just have to resolve what to put on the sandwich now. Thinking broccoli sprouts, eggplant slices sautéed in coconut oil and garlic, etc., maybe some fresh organic baby spinach, sliced sweet onion, and a dabble of medium coarse spicy brown mustard.
I didn't realise you'd gone mostly plant based! I really hope it helps with your health.

When I first gave up meat the only thing I could think of as a protein source on sandwiches was peanut butter. I can get a couple of brands that are unprocessed and virtually just peanuts. I would combine that with maybe tomato, lettuce, onion, sprouts e.t.c. Sprouts are great as they are a good source of protein.

One of the myths that most of us grow up with is that you need meat for protein. However it is in most foods to varying degrees. Grains are quite high but even some vegetables are pretty good. Lentils and beans, tofu and tempeh, quinoa, are also great sources and often nearly equivalent to meat. What they don't usually have is complete amino acids so it's important to eat variety.

Don't forget omega 3's. These are very important. Chia or flaxseeds are good plant sources. I start the day with a green smoothie and it always contains one of those.

G

I didn't realise you'd gone mostly plant based! I really hope it helps with your health.

When I first gave up meat the only thing I could think of as a protein source on sandwiches was peanut butter. I can get a couple of brands that are unprocessed and virtually just peanuts. I would combine that with maybe tomato, lettuce, onion, sprouts e.t.c. Sprouts are great as they are a good source of protein.

One of the myths that most of us grow up with is that you need meat for protein. However it is in most foods to varying degrees. Grains are quite high but even some vegetables are pretty good. Lentils and beans, tofu and tempeh, quinoa, are also great sources and often nearly equivalent to meat. What they don't usually have is complete amino acids so it's important to eat variety.

Don't forget omega 3's. These are very important. Chia or flaxseeds are good plant sources. I start the day with a green smoothie and it always contains one of those.

Thanks.

And yes, at this time, it's all out war on this cancer. It's getting the memo loud and clear that rent's not been paid, and it needs to find a new home. :bigeye:

The beauty of this (Keto) baguette recipe is that with the almond flour, etc., one baguette (they're burger bun size) has chia seeds in it, and about 16 grams of protein, 230 calories, total net carbs of 4 grams, and other very attractive numbers, so a person could literally put nothingness on there, even ground up celery by itself, and the numbers are pretty impressive.

Nope cancer feeds on unhealthy fats, sugars (which I largely clipped a long time ago, unless such as smaller amounts of maple syrup as alternative sweetener, as of 11 years ago), meat protein, etc.

It doesn't like broccoli sprouts and CBD/THC extracts, so lately, when it calls for room service, that's what I'm sending. :bigeye:

And thanks again.

G

I was going to add, years ago, an under-nourished quasi-vegetarian then-friend was hitch-hiking out of Anchorage, and his lower leg snapped. I asked him back then what had happened, anticipating he'd fallen, been struck, or ????

Nope, just carrying his pack down the side of the road, his leg snapped.

The dangers of eating any diet without proper balance of the needs, no matter where they come from.

When I shared that story with the local urologist, who first showed me the literature re. plant-based diets and cancers, he laughed, because he was unable to hear the details of the story, as vegetarian diets have been attacked so much without proper education.

My then-friend's leg broke, not because he was a vegetarian, but because he was subsisting on low quality carrot sticks, celery sticks, and saltine crackers in individual serving packets, smuggled to him from the University of Alaska -Fairbanks' campus commons. And a person can't have a healthy body with that diet. :)

Edit: And he ate Ramen.. one of -the- most unhealthy, hollow calories from all the wrong stuff, cheap and easy college student diets of the last 40 years. But almost entirely worthless for much other than ^carbs.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
A couple of years later and I'm still plant based. I did fall off the wagon briefly eating fish twice a week but I've ditched the fish and back fully plants. Feeling pretty healthy. On the odd occasion I've had meat (twice in 2 years), it has made me feel awful soon after. I got a massive craving for a meat pie once when out and decided one wouldn't hurt. I felt pretty bad afterwards, the most notable was the lethargy, but also upset stomach and bloating.

I am still convinced that this is probably the healthiest way to live. Lost some weight too, about 10 kgs. Sinuses are better (I used to get constant infections), blood results still great, PSA healthy, and a good calcium score. Energy levels are great and I have increased my exercise a lot as well.

The only supplements I take are b12 twice a week (although it is added to various foods like soy milk), and occasionally use an omega 3 based on algae.

I will revive the thread to link some podcasts (vegan propaganda! yeah) and maybe recipes. My latest craze has been sprouting. Currently eating some sprouted chickpea hummus and veges.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm spending most of my reasoning for justifying that cows eat plants and are therefore plant based and as such qualify an all beef and potato diet as plant based.

Nannymouse

420giveaway
We were lucky to find virgin land in an area that got dumped on by two different glaciers, so the soil is rocky, but rich, even though it needs more humus. Anyway, last year we had five gardens around the house, and our most reliable garden crops are summer squash, beets, tomatoes, dragon tongue and pinto beans, and chards. Carrots and winter squash are challenging, but am going to try the short and stocky roasting type carrot this spring.

Fruits are limited, we have several apple trees that are just old enough to start producing. The land has wild chokecherries and juneberries and we've planted some buffalo berries, nanking cherries, and maybe even an apricot has survived. Oh yes, and if we can ever find them in the buckbrush, there were goji berries added, too.

Except for the chard, most of our greens are grown in the windows. I just started some mibuna, which has a very fast germ stage. Have also done basils, mizuna, and leaf celery. These are usually dried and made into a flour that a handful is added to the weekly pot of soup. Dill volunteers very heartily in the main garden, and is quite the staple in the green flour, along with the leaf celery.

I order organic red maca powder and peanut flour for our banana smoothies, and for the smoothies, we alternate between frozen mango and frozen peaches. The maca is for hubby, to ward off prostate problems. I also got milk thistle, but that just will not blend up nicely...too gritty for my liking in the smoothies.

We have access to range beef and venison, even though the venison gets more of a grain diet than the beef, it's still pretty tasty. I can tell when we are processing the venison, just what the critter was eating. (Pea fed or sunflowers, usually) We don't always get a deer license, so it's certainly not a staple. Had chickens, and very much appreciated all the home grown eggs, not as range fed as i'd have liked, but the coyotes would have enjoyed all the chickens, and we would have had none, if they were not in a big run.

I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, for decades. So i was pretty happy to get out into the boonies. I think that living in a higher altitude, and far away from pavement has helped. When i lived in the city, (AZ) it was rather obvious how 'saturated' in petrols that the population endures, just from the fumes off pavement. Seems that not many health experts are focusing on fumes and health.

Nannymouse

420giveaway
Oh, and practically every thing on the plate gets a liberal dose of Za'Atar with edible sumac. Eggs, veggies, meats. Za'Atar is a bit variable, but is usually a wild oregano or thyme, with roasted ground sesame seed and maybe some other special stuff in there. It's a food topping, not really something that is cooked with.

I also try to have a serving of oatmeal, every day.

Am switching from dairy milk to coconut milk for the smoothies, just going to add coconut flour to the smoothie, and use water...instead of cow.

It's just been a process of changing, not really a big change all at one time.

I did go as vegan as i could for a year. I did feel okay, nothing outrageously different. But, in this area...it was really difficult to eat at cafes...EVERYTHING has cheese or milk. Neither seems to be good for my digestion. Naturopath found out that i'm missing most of the major digestive enzymes AND healthy gut bacterias...so, trying to do my best to let the body heal itself up.

Cuddles

Oh, and practically every thing on the plate gets a liberal dose of Za'Atar with edible sumac. Eggs, veggies, meats. Za'Atar is a bit variable, but is usually a wild oregano or thyme, with roasted ground sesame seed and maybe some other special stuff in there. It's a food topping, not really something that is cooked with.

I also try to have a serving of oatmeal, every day.

Am switching from dairy milk to coconut milk for the smoothies, just going to add coconut flour to the smoothie, and use water...instead of cow.

It's just been a process of changing, not really a big change all at one time.

I did go as vegan as i could for a year. I did feel okay, nothing outrageously different. But, in this area...it was really difficult to eat at cafes...EVERYTHING has cheese or milk. Neither seems to be good for my digestion. Naturopath found out that i'm missing most of the major digestive enzymes AND healthy gut bacterias...so, trying to do my best to let the body heal itself up.
I discovered the same problem but I had to figure it out for myself. No doctor ever asked me about this sort of thing.
Anyway, in 2021 I tried a really good probiotic supp which had 18 strains in it. The improvements I noticed really surprised me. And about 2-3 months later I decided to try pancreatine. Again the results amazed me!
So, based on my own expereiences, I highly recommend trying these types of supps to anyone who has digestive issues, :)

Latest posts

Latest posts