What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco top drippers, night feeding, whos feeding at night?

gmanwho

Veteran
Lately been running top drip coco dtw, 2 plants per 1k de basically. recently decided to try 2gal final pots(again) verse the 3.5 gal ive been running for years. So far i like what i see but i notice that before the first watering at day start the pots seem to be pretty dry. an i know they are going to get bigger as we just went into flower. so that means its gonna dry even further....

i usually water in pulses when the time is right. by the time i start vegging pre flower build up, im watering 16oz every 4 hours , then 3 hours , 2 hours, then every hour as plants get into day 15 flower an start cranking. Assuming the plant root zone has been built correctly prior.

so i set the timer to watering at night too. anyone have any experience they can share with watering at night? i know i have before but my memory is cloudy. any drawbacks you've noticed? for now i increased time off to get almost same amount of feedings in a 24hr period verse watering all in a 12 hr.

whitebox

Hi Gmanwho,
i did recycled hydro in the past with a homemade frankenstein setup wich was a rez with a pump to mix and another pump(timed) to drip the pots; with a plastic tray on top and drippers in every 1gal pots filled with clay peebles.
i gave them drip/feed all day long non stop for 12hrs and at night they had 5 min dreep/feed every 3 hours .
i know its more of a nft technique but maybe it can give you an idea of what they need at night.
i'm sure a few minutes every 2 hourswould be nice in such pots with coco.
hope this helps a little.
have a nice day Gmanwho.
cheers.

gmanwho

Veteran
Hi Gmanwho,
i did recycled hydro in the past with a homemade frankenstein setup wich was a rez with a pump to mix and another pump(timed) to drip the pots; with a plastic tray on top and drippers in every 1gal pots filled with clay peebles.
i gave them drip/feed all day long non stop for 12hrs and at night they had 5 min dreep/feed every 3 hours .
i know its more of a nft technique but maybe it can give you an idea of what they need at night.
i'm sure a few minutes every 2 hourswould be nice in such pots with coco.
hope this helps a little.
have a nice day Gmanwho.
cheers.

hey white box. ahhh.... i remember my clay pebble days. flood an drain, then the top drip recirculating like u speak off. some of the fastest growth ive ever witnessed where from clay pebble top drip 24/7. hell even waterfarms.

what timer you have that allows you to switch an run a different night schedule?

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Shit,never knew you could feed at night.
Just always presumed they were sleeping

I have never fed at night because of the humidity spike after lights out. I grow in 1gal pots of coco and while it is dry first thing in the morning I just make the first watering a little longer than the rest to fully saturate the pot again. Please let us know @Gman what your results are :tiphat:

gmanwho

Veteran
Shit,never knew you could feed at night.
Just always presumed they were sleeping

not sure if i have read anything that says plants stop feeding at night or " 2 hrs after lights off roots stop processing nutrients" or "uptake ceases at night, or exudate activity only happens at night" sounds like a deep rabbit hole i know.

would love to learn more. the one thing i am certain of, i know enough to know that there is more then i will ever fully understand

one thing is certain, currently for me with the smaller pots, even after getting run off during the lights on, things have been getting very dry during the night time an come lights on pots are lite. maintaining a 58% or so rh lights off, 65% lights on.

so in effort to stop root loss due to possible dehydration, or slow any nutrient calcification, binding, ec spike, antagonisms have u that may come from the medium drying out, im watering to keep moist atp during that overnight period.

i probably should get into more papers/articles/books on growing in rockwool to find my answers....

Gazoo31

I'm in 5g pots multi feeding 4 times a day for 2:30, 1:30,1:30 and 1:30. After their night cycle they're definitely dry on top. I also feel like I could benefit from even a single night cycle feeding.

This happens naturally with Blumats; never had an issue with it. I remember seeing someone say that big ag actually feeds much higher EC during the night cycle. Could be total bs, never looked into it but thought it was interesting.

whitebox

hey white box. ahhh.... i remember my clay pebble days. flood an drain, then the top drip recirculating like u speak off. some of the fastest growth ive ever witnessed where from clay pebble top drip 24/7. hell even waterfarms.

what timer you have that allows you to switch an run a different night schedule?

hi Man, i just use the cheapest digital model you can find at bigmart or other supermarkert. in europe it is 11euros .
i have 3 of them working for many years now.
and the cheap mechanical model does the job also...
never had a problem watering at night if not too much, 2 times in a 12h night is ok imo.
cheers Man.

gmanwho

Veteran
This happens naturally with Blumats; never had an issue with it. I remember seeing someone say that big ag actually feeds much higher EC during the night cycle. Could be total bs, never looked into it but thought it was interesting.

great point. also with dwc systems, true aeroponic or any other misting systems, water farms etc. they all water at niight

Driver 8

Plants transpire much more water during lights on.

Watering at or during lights out has always led to mold or PM issues and didn't give me any benefits.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
My plants drink 75% less with the lights off, and if you can, a higher EC is better. Just 5% though. Which can be done by letting them run a little drier, if your EC goes up as they drink.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
not sure if i have read anything that says plants stop feeding at night or " 2 hrs after lights off roots stop processing nutrients" or "uptake ceases at night, or exudate activity only happens at night" sounds like a deep rabbit hole i know.

would love to learn more. the one thing i am certain of, i know enough to know that there is more then i will ever fully understand

one thing is certain, currently for me with the smaller pots, even after getting run off during the lights on, things have been getting very dry during the night time an come lights on pots are lite. maintaining a 58% or so rh lights off, 65% lights on.

so in effort to stop root loss due to possible dehydration, or slow any nutrient calcification, binding, ec spike, antagonisms have u that may come from the medium drying out, im watering to keep moist atp during that overnight period.

i probably should get into more papers/articles/books on growing in rockwool to find my answers....

I run a sealed room and when the co2 is off at night, the plants make a hell of a lot of co2. so they are definetely respiring a lot at night, and therefore must be growing. imo most people in that situation would feed before lights off to last through to the next day.

Latest posts

Latest posts