What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sudden Issue in Coir Grow

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Well, all...I'm growing in coir. The plants are long-flowering land-race strains that have been doing beautifully, until about the 10th week. Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, two of my plants have developed a bad issue with what appears to be some kind of
nute burn. I'm open to any and all suggestions. The problem is, it seems to be moving VERY fast.

More specifics. The plants are watered and nuted daily. I have had no issues until 7 or 8 days ago, when I noticed that some of the fan leaves were getting burnt at the tips so I flushed the two plants that looked like they had an issue. Up until that point they had been getting 1300/1400 ppm., so I lowered the ppm to 800/900. Whatever...the damage started moving quickly. As you can see from the pictures, the sweet leaves are beginning to get whacked too...which creates issues when trimming.

I figure we have a few options...1) more flush and then feed weaker protocol; 2) final flush and harvest; 3) do nothing and take care of the it during the trim; 4) consider that it is not nute burn but some kind of other deficiency or disease and feed more. The biggest concern is how quickly it seems to be moving through two plants that were totally (to these eyes) healthy a week ago. I see no indication that it is from mold. I'm at a loss. I'm afraid that if I let it go it will affect the bud if it hasn't already.

I realize that this may be a coir problem...or a strain issue (they are African) with the nute regimen. I'm growing out several other strains that are not displaying these issues -even though they are of similar age.

Your thoughts/opinions, etc. are grreatly appreciated. THanks!!

Attachments

• Burn 4.jpg
    Burn 4.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Burn3.jpg
    Burn3.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Burn.jpg
    Burn.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Burn2.jpg
    Burn2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 34
Well, all...I'm growing in coir. The plants are long-flowering land-race strains that have been doing beautifully, until about the 10th week. Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, two of my plants have developed a bad issue with what appears to be some kind of
nute burn. I'm open to any and all suggestions. The problem is, it seems to be moving VERY fast.

More specifics. The plants are watered and nuted daily. I have had no issues until 7 or 8 days ago, when I noticed that some of the fan leaves were getting burnt at the tips so I flushed the two plants that looked like they had an issue. Up until that point they had been getting 1300/1400 ppm., so I lowered the ppm to 800/900. Whatever...the damage started moving quickly. As you can see from the pictures, the sweet leaves are beginning to get whacked too...which creates issues when trimming.

I figure we have a few options...1) more flush and then feed weaker protocol; 2) final flush and harvest; 3) do nothing and take care of the it during the trim; 4) consider that it is not nute burn but some kind of other deficiency or disease and feed more. The biggest concern is how quickly it seems to be moving through two plants that were totally (to these eyes) healthy a week ago. I see no indication that it is from mold. I'm at a loss. I'm afraid that if I let it go it will affect the bud if it hasn't already.

I realize that this may be a coir problem...or a strain issue (they are African) with the nute regimen. I'm growing out several other strains that are not displaying these issues -even though they are of similar age.

Your thoughts/opinions, etc. are grreatly appreciated. THanks!!

It looks like a potassium deficiency but you said the damage is at the top. Check your runoff ec. If it’s 1.75x-2x your input, then you should flush with half strength feed. Flush until you get runoff that’s close to the half feed.
What ph do you feed at?

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Thanks. Thegermling...pH generally ranges between 5.8 and 6.0 - more toward 5.9 and 6.0 during flowering.

Yeah I would check your runoff...My concern would be since I don't think you mentioned you checked it previous to flushing that maybe you had created a lockout and by flushing now they're starving.

I agree with above posts - Half dose until your runnoff is the same and then work you're way up from there if you feel the need. Also are they more Sativa leaning land races? If so, it may be the are light feeders.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
is that happening to all the plants or just in flower?

Right before I had to stop growing a few years ago something similar happened.

I couldnt get clones to live past 2 weeks in veg and all the flowering plants looked like that.

I did all the things... pH, flush, fed low for a bit, etc... I concluded it was the coco after I lost 3 sets of clones and almost lost flower

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Thanks, you all!! Some responses

one Q - No - this is not happening to all of my plants and I wasn't having any issues up through 9 or 10 weeks with these plants. They were apparently totally happy. Nice vibrant plants without burn. So much for being self-congratulatory!! At this point, they are going on 11 weeks -while I would prefer not to harvest at this point- it wouldn't be a disaster, per se. Still, I would like to know where it all went wrong so it doesn't happen again.

Love & Peace...that sounds like a plan. I will check the run-off and see where it is currently at. After the first flush, I've been running the nutes at about 1/2 but it seems
as if the damage accelerated. Perhaps not...but I think it's the path to follow. Unfortunately, the plants are not being grown on premises but I will check it out tomorrow.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
I'm in for a potassium issue as well. Possibly in conjunction with a phosphorus or sulfur related anomaly. My opinion is that it's too late to attempt corrective measures. Proceed as normal to harvest. It just won't be aesthetically appealing until you trim.

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Thanks, bsgospel...much appreciated! Base is Botanicare Bloom, Cal/Mag, Liquid Karma, small amount of silica (1ml/gallon or less), hygrozyme and -of late- a non agressive dollop of Rock Resinator. For last several days, ppm has been 800/900 and pH is usually 5.9 or 6.0. PPM had been at 1300/1400 without incident but perhaps that was too much for these plants. The other strains are not showing anything other than normal senescence. I'd like to try to take 'em a bit further, if possible, but I also don't want the sweetleaves to get unduly compromised either.

G

Do you think it's environmental Mayan? How are temps and RH - vpd.
For me simpler is better, less variables so just a+b and silica, and kelp/fish emulsion weekly for the root bennies.
Problems in Coco are quiet easily reset with a thorough flush and re-set of nutes.
Other suggestions are how are you're roots? They are the engine after all. The water source, all good as usual? PH pens and meters calibrated? Reservoir health, rez temps in check?
Best with it, Dots.

zif

Veteran
I agree with bsgospel. But hear you about figuring out the problem.

Maybe take 1/3-2/3 of each plant now? That leaves enough plant to test a fix, while avoiding too much damage if the problem continues to spread fast!

I’m leaning heavily towards a nutrient issue as well, but some wilts can present similarly and move fast. You’ll know very soon if that’s what’s going on.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

DunHav`nFun

Hey Bro......Sativa`s/NLD/Narrow Leaf Dominant species are among the most finicky dope cultivars on Earth in that they get real pissy with jacked up PPM`s/EC and when too much N stays in the mix they develop "the claw" where the big fans curl under during mid-late flower....and Bro.....PPM`s are too high for all your plants , but far be it from me to say where your PPM`s needta stay since you say the rest of the plants are fine and experiencing "senescence" ?....

Senescence in coco usually occurs during the flush toward end of cycle , so Maybe I`m confused......regardless......Good luck , and for the record......I ran Coco DTW for many many yrs , and the most profound rule of thumb there ever was with coco is.....When in doubt.....Flush it out......with 1/2 strength nutrients that is.....and then reset and repeat with lower juice concentrations.....My 2 cents from all those yrs.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …….

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Thanks, you all. I’m lowering ppms and flushing the impacted plants. I have learned much from this thread. Fortunately, most of the plants are doing fine and the ones that aren’t are not too far from the harvest window, so I’ll see how far they can go. Greatly appreciated!!

eyes

Veteran
I agree with DHF. When I run coco, I usually find that 500-600 ppm is plenty. Since you are fertilizing all the time when watering, they are constantly getting salts each and every time. Thing with coco, things move fast. So a lower ppm flush will tend to correct things pretty dam fast. I liked the yield in coco but found it can be finicky with pottasium deficiencies and other nute balancing issues.I also found I was using alot of nutes and dumping water with making r.o. water. Good thing was great yield from skimpy 1.2-1.5 gallon container (I would yield a couple ounces).

I jumped to organic promix (burnones) Formulas and the ease of just taking water out of tap and top dressing to me is way easier. I dont have to guess what may be interfering with what nute. No phing anything as well.Im dumping well water with high ppm into mix. On the flip side, be prepared for fungus gnats cause they will be finding their way into the medium.

Last edited:

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like the medium went acid.

Unlike most, I like a higher pH, 6.8 to 7.0, maximizes Ca uptake and yes, you will need to work a bit harder on micros...

RB56

Veteran
When I've run into problems like this, it's been because the coir dried out. Coir dries out, nutrient concentrations spike and leaves burn. I feed every 1-2 hours during periods of peak growth, with fully developed roots. During peak growth, I start lights on with a thorough hand watering, since the automated feedings aren't enough to saturate the pot. This way I get runoff after every feed.

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
I'm taking all of this information in...with deep appreciation. Did a flush of all the plants today and I think I began to see improvement happening in front of my eyes. Getting close to the end with this wave - Next wave, I will definitely be incorporating much of what I have learned/am leaning through this thread. Next round, as well, I would love to simplify the nutes and automate to allow several feeding a day.

Gazoo31

When I've run into problems like this, it's been because the coir dried out. Coir dries out, nutrient concentrations spike and leaves burn. I feed every 1-2 hours during periods of peak growth, with fully developed roots. During peak growth, I start lights on with a thorough hand watering, since the automated feedings aren't enough to saturate the pot. This way I get runoff after every feed.

I agree 100 percent. I'm sick this week and neglected my mother's. I thought they were dead , watered them anyways. They bounced back but are showing the same signs of burn. It's very similar to when plants grow into t5s and physically burn....

Latest posts

Latest posts