What's new

new question sphere press?

B

bowlgrinder

I like the stuff pressed in little balls (spheres) but I seem to lose allot handshaping it.

Is there a press that can do this? Diy or otherwise? Maybe an incense press?

I'm thinking a scissors setup like a snowball maker. Instead of cutting blades the scissors have half sphere bowls to shape the snow into snowballs.

Just on a much smaller scale (I'm thinking .2 sized balls)

The reason for this is the circle presses have to much surface area and make super thin pancakes I can't even scrape off in 1 piece.

Thanks

(Though you guys might like to see a NEW press question.) :joint:

edit- They should give you two extra pieces for the circle press with indented semi spheres in them so you could just make them with the circle press.

edit- maybe I could just put an indent in the current ones I have...

best idea I got so far is to heat a metal circle the size I want to red hot and then press it with the press this should melt a sphere impression in the cylinder pieces.
Anyone know what the cylinders are made out of?

A bb hold it with pliers heat till red hot drop in center and press...
I'm gonna do some testing

test positive it melted smoothly

further testing and will report back

didn't work broke my pollen press anyone know where I can BUY a sphere press?

Last edited:

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
I would think one of those old school musket ball presses would work. Might weigh more then .2 though.

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
red hot is significantly hotter than needed to coax stubborn resin powder into shapes. red hot is actually detrimental. i would not recommend exceeding 200 fahrenheit.

i know your looking for a mechanical device but all the spheres ive ever seen have been hand done.

why not simply make one large ball? the larger size will protect more of the product from light and air degradation.

B

bowlgrinder

.2 is all I normally got.

No heat in pressing I used "red hot" trying to make the press

not in the actual pressing.

So I cant just make one big ball I only got like .2 so I can handroll it and loose like half or just smoke it and get one quick hits.

The pressed stuff just last so much longer. :joint:

I actually figured out the ghetto way

take a part of a ziplock put stuff in there then shape into a ball. less stuff lost to fingers (ever microscope you're finger prints after handshaping, There all shiny and filled with trics. irretrievable trics.

Instead some just sticks to the bag sides and can be brushed off into the pipe.

pretty easy once I thought about it.

sphere press would still rule.

Imagine hitting a bowl of bb's and someone being like oh thats hash man..the airflow would make the best hit ever. :fsu:

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
What about a "melon" baller? It's like a mini ice-cream scoop. You could do the two halves then press them together.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Get some iso and shot glass. Roll your ball and then rub your fingers together in the glass. Let evaporate and then smoke that hash.

Papulz

Veteran
i think a majority of large hashishins prefer their resins unpressed actually.. as the smoke is cooler and the resin will tend to last longer... less ember forming and therefore less sidestream smoke..

however there are still the die hards who will always require the pressing of product before it is used.. and there can be merit to the process. certainly it can be fun to change the taste and appearance of the subject matter..

but pressing and the aroma/color change that comes with it is nothing more than the rupturing of the oils in the glands, as opposed to unpressed resin which is still intact within the trichome gland.. making the unpressed a superior product for mid to long term storage
(when referring to longer timeframes, the powder is best tamped lightly, however this is not a real pressing.)

usually if prefered, its easy to handpress a piece using an number of techniques just before smoking - that is if the quality of your resin is high enough.

thoroughly pressed resin goes stale much quicker comparably, and its been said in "hashish by robert clarke" that only enough for the days intended use is generally pressed in places like afghanistan. (exempting the large scale production for trade) why press it now and have it start to age more quickly when you can simply press it when you need to?

the bag method your using bowlgrinder will work fine for your purposes.. try making boot hash if you want a different way of working that resin.

as for bb's.. well if you produce a resin malleable enough you should be able to simply take chunks from whatever form you choose to make and then mold them by hand into bb's or whatever you choose. personally i like shavings.. however when your hash has enough oil to it, it doesnt much matter what shape you pack the original pieces into the bowl as, due to the fact it will all melt together anyway.

B

bowlgrinder

Would, the bubblebox make a slightly bubbly/melty product? With average mex brick? What about headies (good product)

300 is allot a dough

what about cleaning the box and screens. Will stems rip the screens?

Papulz

Veteran
make your own sifting screens if the cost of a pre constructed kif box is too much for you, however i will say that making high quality kif takes more practice/skill and such than making high quality bubble.

bricked herb regardless of its quality will return a very low % of resin as a result of its packing and transport/handling. bricking herb smashes the trichs and releases the oils... thus its impossible to isolate them.

for concentrates as a whole the rule of thumb is you start with a good starting material to get the most favorable results.

good herb will have much more of the trichs intact likely, however still people generally use trim and the like to make hash.

stems can and will rip nylon/polyester etc other synthetic meshes, but a stainless steel screen likely would not. the choice between the two is a choice based upon durability and quality. Stainless will not break but will introduce more contaminants generally.

B

bowlgrinder

This would explain why dry sifted material retains some stuff.

This is perfect as I only like a bit of extract as a little kicker/to boost for movies basically a non everyday thing

Well if I sift It (mex brick) thru the stainless for a rough kief then run this thru the bubbleBOX would the improvement be noticeable?

And if I got good starting material and ran it through just the bubbleBOX theres a chance of some melty bubbles?

Papulz

Veteran
without getting into it too deep, with good material in the B-box you have a good chance of getting melt. mex brick will return likely an extremely low quality kif from sifting/tumbling. the idea when making the higher echelons of hash is to keep dust/dirt/foreign matter out of the resin, as once it has been introduced (like tumbling brick herb will produce powdered plant) it can be troublesome to remove the contaminants.