What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Unclefishstick's Tartar Sauce Research Kitchen Redux

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i recently finished building out a new garden space featuring HLG 550 leds for lighting in an effort to keep the cooling bills down during the summer months and to allow me enough space to start popping seeds once free cooling season starts again in the fall.

the room is in my garage which of course gets hotter than satans junk in a fur g-string during the summer so a well insulated space is a must.

to start i built out some 2x4 framing mainly out of leftover lumber i had from previous builds.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the next step was insulation,i used 2 inch foam board in the walls and ceiling and a reflectix wrap inside and out.
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
for ventilation i'm using a lung room set up. for cooling i have the house swamp cooler which keeps the house in the 80's even on the hottest days,and a portable a/c unit to bring the lights off temps down into the 70's.the a/c will be housed in the lung room,an old 4x4 grow tent in this case.
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the idea here being that during lights on,which occurs in the evening,that the grow area will be ventilated in the usual manner with a 6 inch carbon filter/fan for exhaust and a 6 inch fan drawing air in from the house where the swamp cooler is running through the tent and into the grow area for intake.

then during the lights off portion of the day the a/c will be on and a second 6 inch carbon filter/fan set up will loop the cooled air back into the tent/lung room.

as well there is another 6 inch fan/filter in the garage to help get rid of the heat produced by the portable a/c.

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so,after everything was installed we end up with this....
picture.php
[/FONT]

the room is 6x8 with a 4x8 space for growing lit by 2 Horticulture Lighting Group HLG 550's.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
time for some plants...

got a grab bag of flavors to start things off...

cherry cookies,forum cut gsc,thin mints,ogkb 2.0,GMO,wedding cake,sunset sherbet,orange cream dream,and NEM.
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
which brings us up to now...at day 6 of 12/12...
plants are drinking like crazy,i may end up having to water every day once they really get going...
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
today is the end of week one under the leds,the plants are looking good so far,no sign of par stress and good growth,the plants are clearly liking the lights...need to get in with a tape measure and see how far above the canopy they are but so far no sign of them bolting and stretching too much...
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
today is the end of week one under the leds,the plants are looking good so far,no sign of par stress and good growth,the plants are clearly liking the lights...need to get in with a tape measure and see how far above the canopy they are but so far no sign of them bolting and stretching too much...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image[/FONT]

Unc ...those look like 3 gallon pots ??

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guess I'll ride along with ya in this thread for a few thousand pages or so lol. Looking tight :peacock:

nickman

Veteran
Looking good up in here...

Just curious but why the reflextic’s on the outside of the grow room...!!!... just wondering...

That foam insulation board looks a lot better than using the itchy pink insulation shit that I used...!!!...

I’ll be stopping by here and there if that’s cool with you ...!!!...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking good up in here...

Just curious but why the reflextic’s on the outside of the grow room...!!!... just wondering...

That foam insulation board looks a lot better than using the itchy pink insulation shit that I used...!!!...

I’ll be stopping by here and there if that’s cool with you ...!!!...

i live in the desert so it's gonna be hot over the summer in the garage...more insulation means less cooling needed...the more i can isolate the grow area from the rest of the space,the easier it will be to keep temps in check...
plus two layers is better than one to insure it's light tight...and reflectix is a radiant energy barrier so theoretically it won't show up clearly on flir,and it also deadens noise as well,this room is super quiet,there's zero fan noise audible from the outside..