What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motherlode Gardens 2019

Surfgimp

...if it comes up again I'll let you know. I don't think Bodhi is making anymore...

BOOM ^^^ There it is.

I learned this lesson many moons ago when AOG avail went poof. Get as many popular Bodhi strains while you can get em. If you have the wherewithal, do 3-5 M+F IBL each season.

Goji is a great producer, I also like most all the Lotus crosses (ie Sky, White). The Tigermelon's are a treat.

Last year I crossed Sky Lotus x Sunshine 4. Named it Skywalker 4 / New Hope. Very vigorous, standing proud/tall next to Goji, Sky/Wht Lotus, Tigermelon, Plat Cookies, Kosher, SFV.

Best wishes to all this season!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
seed starts

seed starts

We didn't see the sun for almost 2 weeks! tons of rain and hail, definitely strange for this time of year. But the weather finally cleared up and we are transplanting this week. The starts are filling out the 7gal pots, ready to go in the ground. They are perky and green, looking very happy. We got a lot of females from our first round of seeds, plenty to choose from for plugging the mounds!

I amended the mounds with some bone meal, gypsum, etc.. Now we are mixing everything in and digging holes for the starts. I hope to be all planted by this weekend.

been doing weekly wettable sulfur spray for IPM, only one foliar feeding so far with some biomin calcium and pacificgro. The soilking bigrootz soil is performing nicely so far, although it does dry out pretty quickly because it's light & airy.

We are going to start our light dep seed run soon, I hope to have it done by august so might start pulling tarp on the females very soon. the males will get an extra week or two, although some are already dropping some pollen.

group shot of the ladies:
bnFlwaAh.jpg

purple sprite:
1B58MxYh.jpg

purple-stem ancient OG F4:
VhB6OJsh.jpg

sprite leaf:
q166fwuh.jpg

AOG-leaning sprite male:
Ko1qWSIh.jpg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Really sharp looking crop going there, Shrews! I saw that Purple Ancient OG Kush sticking out in the overall shot! Looks like a winner. May be a good choice for addition to the Deep Chunk hybrid line I have had going for 10 years now! Check out the Deep Chunk Playground thread in the HTC/Hill Temple Collective forum.

Cool, you'll have a nice long harvest this year doing a light deprivation grow along with it! More money, and the fresh medicine early will sure be nice! :smoke:

I see, Sprite is a super-indica! Healthy little plant, bro! May be an option to improve the DC line too.

I guess you just mix all the soil in the mounds by hand? Skid steer would probably work well, but wouldn't do as good of a job!

Whats in the soil mix? Whats you method this year? Always experimenting I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing with us! Give me Liberty! :smoke:

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
BigRootz is some good soil, Ive been using it for a few years now.
It is on the airy side, I think its got a lot of coco and peat moss in it... It reminds me of the 707 Roots Organic soil.

I always added extra perlite before transplanting.

Good luck this season Bud!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Really sharp looking crop going there, Shrews! I saw that Purple Ancient OG Kush sticking out in the overall shot! Looks like a winner. May be a good choice for addition to the Deep Chunk hybrid line I have had going for 10 years now! Check out the Deep Chunk Playground thread in the HTC/Hill Temple Collective forum.

Cool, you'll have a nice long harvest this year doing a light deprivation grow along with it! More money, and the fresh medicine early will sure be nice! :smoke:

I see, Sprite is a super-indica! Healthy little plant, bro! May be an option to improve the DC line too.

The Ancient OG is great breeding material, it makes everything more frosty and stretchy, plus great flavor and potency. I think AOG and Deep Chunk would complement each other nicely, two purple frost monsters with totally different structure. I have some Deep Chunk F9's I believe, from Hatchbrew. Got them at emerald cup a few years back. I'll do something with 'em someday, just waiting until the time is right. I'll check out your thread for sure, I am fascinated by the deep chunk line and all of tom hill's work.

The sprite is not indica, more of a pure polyhybrid lol, I have seen many expressions ranging from narrow-leaf to fat jagged maple leaves. Our summer dep this year will be a seed project, mainly to make Sprite F2's.

I guess you just mix all the soil in the mounds by hand? Skid steer would probably work well, but wouldn't do as good of a job!

Whats in the soil mix? Whats you method this year? Always experimenting I'm sure.
We can't get a skid steer down to our lower plot, it's on a steep hill. we could use one for the upper plot but it's really not that much extra work to do it by hand with a wheelbarrow and a small tiller.

Speaking of which, I bought a Stihl tiller which has been working very nicely, although I'm not sure how it will handle the rocks in our native soil plot... We're starting to collect the whole Stihl lineup, already got a chainsaw, weedwacker, backpack sprayer, and now the tiller.

BigRootz is some good soil, Ive been using it for a few years now.
It is on the airy side, I think its got a lot of coco and peat moss in it... It reminds me of the 707 Roots Organic soil.

I always added extra perlite before transplanting.

Good luck this season Bud!
the big rootz is airy enough , I couldn't add perlite to it. I honestly wish it were a bit heavier, our starts have been drying out very quickly in their 7gal pots with full exposure to sun and wind They do look healthy though and fast growth so I can't complain yet.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
We finally got all the mounds planted and caged. they are looking good. Then a thunder storm rolled through so we decided not to plant the native soil plot today, those things are scary considering how exposed we are on top of a hill. I don't feel like getting fried by lightning.

strains we planted in the mounds

-Ancient OG
-Sprite
-Purple Sprite
-gg4 x Ancient OG
-Royal Kush
-Satsuma
-Space Monkey
-Cluster Bomb
-Three Queens
-Rugburn OG
-Tipi OG
-Mandarina
-Sour Mandarina x Rosewater Cookies
-Jerry Kush
-Tropicana Cookies
-Happy Place
-Blood Orange Tangie x Cherry OG
-White Larry

Humboldt-hermit

SHREWS, I'd trust your advice most. I'm late starting this year. I told myself I wasn't going to pop seeds this season on clones. Now it's June and I'm like what was I thinking ! So I started about 120 seeds. But I know it way late. What would you do? I'm talking 120 pots that are 200 gallons each. Plus 140 pots that are 100 gallons. I'd be starting now with either fresh small clones? Or keep on with the seed idea? I usually pop around 2000 beans between March 15- April 15. So I know I'm late and need advice from another pro. Please and thanks

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
SHREWS, I'd trust your advice most. I'm late starting this year. I told myself I wasn't going to pop seeds this season on clones. Now it's June and I'm like what was I thinking ! So I started about 120 seeds. But I know it way late. What would you do? I'm talking 120 pots that are 200 gallons each. Plus 140 pots that are 100 gallons. I'd be starting now with either fresh small clones? Or keep on with the seed idea? I usually pop around 2000 beans between March 15- April 15. So I know I'm late and need advice from another pro. Please and thanks
i would pop a bunch of fem seeds asap, and triple or quadruple plant those pots. you could still pull some weight. most clones need to be hardened off and vegged a bit before they go outside so that would be a pain.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
after we finished plugging the mounds last week we planted all our extra first-round starts in the native soil. I love the native plot, it's so minimal and easy. We dug up the holes from last year and put a bit of new soil in as a buffer for the seed starts. caged and watered them and now we're off to the races!

before:
SBewWpbl.jpg

after:
2h6hBzSl.jpg

oqfsd5El.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Mounds

Mounds

the plants in the big mounds are chugging along nicely. They have grown several inches since transplant last week. They are still a bit smaller than i would like at this point but at least they all appear healthy so far.

The mounds still need to be tilled and re-shaped, that is happening this week. we will work around the plants, which are safe inside gopher baskets that they haven't outgrown yet.

We will begin our foliar regimen soon, the plants have only been fed once so far this season. I'm waiting on a new pump right now.

Faceoff OG x Ancient OG:
khJCge3l.jpg

Gorilla Glue x Ancient OG:
ADlXp8al.jpg

Satsuma (bodhi seeds):
j38Dzxxl.jpg

sunset:
HCb22mHl.jpg

HorseBadoritiz

It's been a nice progression through the years seeing you take advice (and not taking "advice"), and seeing what your gardening has become.

Hat's off to you, dude, you seem to have knack for picking right paths, and even weirder, staying on them!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice work shrews! Why not just make them all in ground natural soil grown? I assume its the plant numbers game. Looks a lot easier! Beautiful gardens! Keep up the good work! Thank you for sharing, brother! Welcome to June! Less than 2 months of vegetative growth left. Those are pretty big in my opinion. They will catch up! :smoke:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Nice work shrews! Why not just make them all in ground natural soil grown? I assume its the plant numbers game. Looks a lot easier! Beautiful gardens! Keep up the good work! Thank you for sharing, brother! Welcome to June! Less than 2 months of vegetative growth left. Those are pretty big in my opinion. They will catch up! :smoke:
yes its a numbers thing. Plants in the mounds can grow much bigger than the ones in native soil but they also take a lot more work. If we could grow as many plants as we want then i would probably scrap the big mounds and just grow a shitload of smaller plants right in the ground. However, currently the native soil plot is just a minimal effort thing , a bonus if it works out, and no big deal if it doesnt.

Surfgimp

Shcrews, every season I'm jealous of your youth / vigor. You're killing it again, hats off to you Bro!

I've got several x10 3' vigorous beauties root-bound in 7 gal bag just aching to go into the 3yd mounds. The heat wave and less than enthusiastic helpers have put everything on hold.

Get yours while you can, old age comes along faster each year. Getting old aint for pussies. I'm just glad to still be in the game, but damn my knees hurt!

Machine_Gun

Hope everythings going well for you, checked on your thread for the first time this year and saw you haven't posted in awhile. Any update on the plants?