What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ibechillin's Dank Chronicle

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
April 23rd:

Cheesecake #1 showing sex with pistils at the third node (5.5 weeks old from planting sprouted seed), but the second node has this one ball also on the right... Just kinda rolling with it to watch it for now haha. If it starts looking like it will be problematic ill just cull it and put one of the other 4 plants into a bigger pot with twice the soil :biggrin:.

picture.php

Good news though, the "Northern Lights" Autoflowers are sprouting:
(Germinated on April 14th and planted April 16th in pots outdoors, 7 days later above soil)

picture.php

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
May 3rd:

Transplanted the Photoperiod plants into 30 gallon fabric pots a week ago. Buried the smaller 4 plants down to the cotyledon leaves so they seem small now haha. Slight calcium deficiency showing on 2 plants (rust spots) because I didnt water them after transplanting until today to force them to search for water. Regretting culling a triple cotyledon cheesecake plant from the batch cheeecake #2 and #3 came from, it was growing slower than the rest but I cant help but think it would have been special, lol. Since Im planning on making seeds I didnt think it was worth keeping since its a mutation and not a breedable trait.

Cheesecake #1 7 weeks from planted seed today. The random single male preflower ball on the second node grew 3 white pistils out of it, all the other nodes are showing normal female preflowers with pistils so I think we are good!

picture.php

picture.php

Cheesecake #2
5 weeks from planted seed.

picture.php

picture.php

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Gummo
5 weeks from planted seed.

picture.php

picture.php

"Northern Lights" Autoflowers
Germinated seeds April 14th and planted cracked open seeds April 16th outdoors.
32 healthy plants survived sprouting outdoors and were above soil April 23rd.
They are 10 days from sprouting, 17 days from planting.

picture.php

"Northern Lights" Autoflower closeup
picture.php

U

useless.gardens

April 23rd:

Cheesecake #1 showing sex with pistils at the third node (5.5 weeks old from sprouted seed), but the second node has this one ball also on the right... Just kinda rolling with it to watch it for now haha. If it starts looking like it will be problematic ill just cull it and put one of the other 4 plants into a bigger pot with twice the soil :biggrin:.

View Image

Good news though, the Northern Lights Autoflowers are sprouting:
(Germinated on April 14th and planted April 16th in pots outdoors, 7 days later above soil)

View Image
should clone that male. could send him off on a vacation to the (b)east coast. i hear its really nice out there this time of year. :huggg:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Probably better I keep this one to myself for now, could still turn out to be a hermaphrodite nightmare later. Im gonna be really honest, I dont have the balls to send or receive stuff through the mail other than seeds yet lol :biggrin:...Be glad to hook you up with some seed from this seasons top performers if they make it to harvest though :yes:.

U

useless.gardens

Probably better I keep this one to myself for now, could still turn out to be a hermaphrodite nightmare later. Im gonna be really honest, I dont have the balls to send or receive stuff through the mail other than seeds yet lol :biggrin:...Be glad to hook you up with some seed from this seasons top performers if they make it to harvest though :yes:.
it was just a suggestion. however, its always good to stay in your comfort zone.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
After learning last year the best time to foliar feed is when the sun first starts hitting the plants in the morning I decided to try something different for this season (Im always experimenting lol). Ive only been watering the small plants with a fine particle spray from my pressurized foliar sprayer when the sun starts hitting all the plants in my spot at 8:30am (dew still on leaves not evaporated yet). Watering the soil with the fine pressurized spray has been nice. Gives me better control of moisture in the upper layers of soil by wetting it layer by layer evenly when the root system is delicate.

This is the 2.5 gallon fire extinguisher repurposed into a pressurized foliar sprayer (I fill it up and then pressurize it with the air compressor, has a tire valve on the side):
picture.php

picture.php

May 3rd 8:30am:
The first morning I watered the plants, sprayed 1 gallon tap water among the lot of them. You can see in the pictures from a few days ago they were drooping from thirst, oldest lower growth and new growth is kinda pale green and they still had moisture on them from being sprayed a moment before.

May 4th 8:30am:
I decided to do some preventative pest/disease spray since its beginning to get hotter and dry (mite weather). Figured some foliar feed and beneficial bacteria/fungi would be a good idea to get caught up and ahead at the same time. This was also the first time I experimented foliar feeding young seedlings (the "Northern Lights" autoflowers were on node 1) and they loved it, greened up and started reaching for sun immediately.

Sprayed amongst plants 1 gallon tap water with:

1 tablespoon Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract
1 teaspoon Espoma Organic Grow 2-2-2 Liquid Food
1 teaspoon Blu Moon Mega Roots Liquid

Espoma Organic Grow 2-2-2 Info:

Total Nitrogen (N) 2.00%
0.19% …….. Ammoniacal Nitrogen
1.79% …..….Other Water Soluble Nitrogen
0.02% …..….Water Insoluble Nitrogen

Available Phosphate (P2O5) 2.00%
Soluble Potash (K2O) 2.00%

Bacillus amyloliquefaciens 20,000,000 CFU per ML
Bacillus subtilis 20,000,000 CFU per ML
Bacillus megaterium 20,000,000 CFU per ML
Bacillus pumilus 20,000,000 CFU per ML
Bacillus licheniformis 20,000,000 CFU per ML
Trichoderma harzianum 12,500,000 CFU per ML
Trichoderma reesei 12,500,000 CFU per ML

0.25% Humic Acid from Leonardite
1.00% Dextrose (microbe food)
0.50% Sucrose (microbe food)
0.25% Maltodextrin (microbe food)

Derived From: Hydrolyzed Poultry Manure, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Fish Protein, Bone Meal & Kelp Extract.

Blu Moon Mega Roots:

picture.php

May 5th 8:30am:

Sprayed amongst plants 2 gallon tap water with:

2 teaspoon Espoma Organic Grow 2-2-2 Liquid Food
2 teaspoon Blu Moon Mega Roots Liquid

May 7th 8:30am (today)

I read a post recently from crushnyuba saying they use 40lbs of chicken manure per yard of soil mix and not having issues planting seedlings and clones right into it. With that information I decided sooner is better than later and applied some Nutri Rich 4-3-2 organic aged/composted chicken manure pellets thismorning before foliar feeding/watering. I plan to top dress the photoperiod plants with additional chicken manure pellets every 28 days through veg, the autoflowers are only getting the one feeding of chicken manure pellets today.

I gave each photoperiod plant in the 30 gallon fabric pots 2 cups/13.5oz of the chicken manure pellets and worked it into the soil. Each 3 gallon fabric pot with the "Northern Lights" Autoflower seedlings got 1 cup/6.75oz of the chicken manure pellets. I didnt have room to work them into soil so I just spread them in a thin layer over the top of the soil.

Ill update pics of the photoperiod plants on May 10th.
Here are update pics of the "Northern Lights" autoflowers. They are 3 weeks from planting today, 2 weeks from sprouting above soil. (most are working on the 3rd node):

picture.php

picture.php

therevverend

Veteran
Cheesecake #1 showing sex with pistils at the third node (5.5 weeks old from sprouted seed), but the second node has this one ball also on the right... Just kinda rolling with it to watch it for now haha. If it starts looking like it will be problematic ill just cull it and put one of the other 4 plants into a bigger pot with twice the soil .

The random single male preflower ball on the second node grew 3 white pistils out of it, all the other nodes are showing normal female preflowers with pistils so I think we are good!

Glad you didn't cull it that's not a male flower. Great lesson, it's an undifferentiated flower primordia. Growers often make the mistake of culling plants that show these. It's especially annoying for breeders because sometimes they'll appear on most of the plants. They'll get complaints, '80% of the plants showed male!' Not so, if they would have waited the plant would have shown it's true sex, true flowers in a few more weeks.

These are more likely on hybridized plants. Basically we're used to calling everything that pops a hair a female. If it pops 'something' without a hair we assume it's male. This is a great lesson because that's wrong. Plants will grow 'prefloral nodes'. I've seen big ones, ones that look almost like tassels. Yours has the classic node appearance. So how do you tell the difference?

Males will pop in clusters. Undifferentiated primordials will usually be one to a limb. Staminate (male) primordia have that ball look, I don't know how else to describe it but they look like balls to me. UPs have a well, nodal uneven appearance, not so obviously round and testicular. Another sign is that the UPs will show up early, when the plant is very young or before the majority of the plants have shown male or female.

UPs will drive you crazy. You need plant space, you don't want to transplant a male, but they'll keep popping them out. I've had plants I swore up and down were male, been primed to wack day after day. Kept showing UPs. Finally one threw a hair out of it. Remember UPs are not necessarily true females, a plant can show UPs and hairs but still be a hermaphrodite.Now that I think about it Cheesecake is a strain known to show a hermaphrodite or two..

thailer

happy little seedling you have!! the one that is super praying i mean. they all look healthy.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Thanks for info therevverrend, here are some better pictures of Cheesecake #1's undifferentiated primordia (and a sneak peak of stalk and branch development at node 2 haha). In the second picture you can see the orange bit at the top of it where the pistils were at, they got burned by the foliars.

picture.php

picture.php

May 8th

Sprayed amongst plants thismorning 2 gallon tap water with:

2 teaspoon Espoma Organic Grow 2-2-2 Liquid Food
2 teaspoon Blu Moon Mega Roots Liquid

happy little seedling you have!! the one that is super praying i mean. they all look healthy.

Here are pics of all 32 of the "Northern Lights" autoflower seedlings after foliar feeding, they all praying haha:
(3 weeks and 1 day old from planting, 2 weeks and 1 day old from sprouting)

This is the left half of the pots:
picture.php

This is the right half of the pots:
picture.php

Here are closeups starting from the pot in the top left corner:

picture.php

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Looks like you're off to a great start. I'm going to get my annual grow up and going soon, might have to start my own thread.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Looks Great Ibchil, It will be interesting to see how the cheesecake turns out. Thanks for sharing

Thanks calisun, ounce of bud the Cheesecake seeds came from was the strongest weed Ive ever encountered and super tight/dense nugs. Id smoke a bowl and end up like a zombie for hours, staring off at nothing with my ears ringing unable to move or think at all lol. im really excited to see what comes from them!

Looks like you're off to a great start. I'm going to get my annual grow up and going soon, might have to start my own thread.

Thanks JST, Ive learned ALOT more about growing in soil and organics since last year and feel really confident/prepared for this season. Looking forward to your grow thread!

May 9th:

May 10th (today):

1 tablespoon Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract

Here are update pictures of the photoperiod plants as promised, 2 pictures of each plant. Cheesecake #1 has 2 perspective pictures of structure and the other 4 plants are a structure picture and an overhead picture.

Cheesecake #1 @ 8 weeks from planted seed:

picture.php

picture.php

Cheesecake #2 @ 6 weeks from planted seed:
Showing sex as female. this one seems more sativa influenced compared to #1 and #3. Has thinner leaves and more space between nodes. Receiving same amount of light, feed etc as the other 2 it has minimal side branch development.

picture.php

picture.php

Cheesecake #3 @ 6 weeks from planted seed:
Showing sex as female. This one is growing similar to Cheesecake #1. stocky and getting side branches already.

picture.php