What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Very encouraging thread, thanks to all who have added to it and Ace for make by these seeds available.

I was innocently browsing the ace seeds site and saw only two packs of Ethiopian left.
African strains have eluded me so far so I sprung into action, signed up and have Ethiopian and several others ordered with payment on the way.
Ace seeds have been causing me much jealousy over the years and I have waited as long as I could for them to be available locally but could not wait any longer. The small risk of border crossing was assumed and hopefully I'll be growing some ace keepers soon.
Is it wrong to get a boner from ordering seeds?

Thanks again Ace seeds for the magical sativa smorgasbord, and very reasonable prices too.

This strain sounds very good to me, it fits all my criteria
I read the description and my head went bing bing bing bing haha
Will it still be available next year or do you have to get them soon?
anyway if not there a plenty of nice Ethiopia hybrids
I'm interested in the Congo and zamal/Mauritius crosses
Hope some gonna be available next season
Can you tell me which pheno of zamaldelica was used?

Hi,

The pure ethiopian was reproduced recently and abundantly, so fortunately there will plenty of stock for upcoming years.

Regarding the ethiopian hybrids: We have produced Congo 3 x Ethiopian and Bangi Congo x Ethiopian as well. For the Zamaldelica x Ethiopian crosses we pollinated the mango carrot Zamaldelica elite mother and 4 different Zamal/Thai Zamaldelica phenos too.

Hope it helps with your doubts.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi ULMW :)

Thank you very much for sharing your first hand experience about ethiopian landraces and ethiopian growing scene :yes: Really interesting! Sounds like the ethiopian sativa we have reproduced and released has quite similar traits to yours. Anyway i'm looking forward to know your opinion about our ethiopian line when you have the chance to test her.

ULMW

Thanks Dubi. Am honored and likewize was feeling the strain we grow are pretty much the same. The bouquet and aromas you described and wffects plus flowering time all reinforce this. Be nice if we get to habe a male in my last few seeds then I can try my hand at breeding her. Anyway will keep in contact with this strain and the rest. Happy growing!

48N

Hi,

The pure ethiopian was reproduced recently and abundantly, so fortunately there will plenty of stock for upcoming years.

Regarding the ethiopian hybrids: We have produced Congo 3 x Ethiopian and Bangi Congo x Ethiopian as well. For the Zamaldelica x Ethiopian crosses we pollinated the mango carrot Zamaldelica elite mother and 4 different Zamal/Thai Zamaldelica phenos too.

Hope it helps with your doubts.

Well I already placed my order before reading your response :)
But I don't mind, I have a strong feeling the Ethiopian will be a strain that fits my needs very well and it's gonna be a strain my breeding circles around (Ethiopia, Congo, zamals)
Next year I'd like to grow various Africans (I grew the Congo-hybrid and zamaldelica so far), the effects are great and the thc-v has me really Interested for my medical condition

Wow so it's gonna be the pure bangi x Ethiopia not bangi haze x Ethiopia? Nice :)
Hopefully some of the hybrids gonna be available next season, zamaldelica was the most special herb I've smoked so far :)

ULMW

48N Thanks for your kind words. I have limited experience indoors with her but 7 years outdoor in Addis Abeba. Dubi and Ace breeders have the expert level I believe.
I appreciate the unity felt here among Ethiopian Sativa growers. I am pleased to see people working together to cross other sativas with Ethiopian. The Zamaldelica x and Angolan sound very beutiful. Betam Konjo! (Very Beautiful !)
I do recommend for all Sativa lovers who enjoy spending time enjoying heavy harvests to give Ethiopian a try. Her happy uplifting vibes often surprise. Makes a tasty dry sift screen hash ,too!
I also used to make cobbs and Tangwena has an awe inspiring knoweldge on this subject which I salute having enjoyed reading it here on IC.
I find the cobbs gave a lovely earthy edge to the herb when cured for a month or so in a dark place.
Happy growing to each and all. Will keep updating my Indoor Ethiopian Photo album. Hope it helps provide some images of the weeks and stages as she is grown from.seed in coco indoors. The controlled environment of indoor growing gives me new insights to my outdoor gardening experiences. I can say that Ethiopian is quite a forgiving lady and works very well indoors too. Bare in mind tent sizes! she will grow to fill all the space you give her.
She handles nutes well. Once harvested do give at least 3 weeks before first taster. Then give her a proper cure...She gets very tasty the longer she cures! Bouquets range from citus aromas upon breaking up a bud. An array of spices presents itself with key notes of aniseed or liquorice over an earthy tone that indicates her pure Africa landrace heritage and genepool.
It gives a gentle high for seasoned smokers but provides some great vibes of upliftment and general well being. Creative tendancies and spiritual awareness are common reactions to this kind of high. It is very pleasing when you smoke it. That is what a good friend in Ethiopia has described it as.
I agree 100%

ULMW

8th Wk Indoors Ethiopian

8th Wk Indoors Ethiopian

Getting closer indoors Ethiopian at 8th week of Flowering.

Attachments

• INDOORS ETHIOPIAN 8WK FLOWERING    .jpg
    INDOORS ETHIOPIAN 8WK FLOWERING .jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 184
  • ETHIOPIAN INDOORS 8TH WK FLOWERING.jpg
    ETHIOPIAN INDOORS 8TH WK FLOWERING.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 220
  • ETHIOPIAN INDOORS 8WK LOWER BUDS.jpg
    ETHIOPIAN INDOORS 8WK LOWER BUDS.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 8WEEK FLOWERING INDOORS ETHIOPIAN SATIVA.jpg
    8WEEK FLOWERING INDOORS ETHIOPIAN SATIVA.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 220
  • Bees chillin underneath Johnny Blaze X Chem Dawg fan leaves...
    Bees chillin underneath Johnny Blaze X Chem Dawg fan leaves...
    60.4 KB · Views: 235

Siever

Veteran
Seems very tempting to grow, just like so many other African strains. I just finished a Tropical seeds Ciskei. A very powerfull & uplifting strain! Also a very good taste & smell. I would describe it as piney & fresh hay.

Siever

ULMW

wk 9 ETHIOPIAN SATIVA INDOORS

wk 9 ETHIOPIAN SATIVA INDOORS

Selamta!Greetings! Couple new photos as she is getting in final gear. Smells are up and so is resin production.

Attachments

• ETHIOPIAN INDOORS WK 9 .jpg
    ETHIOPIAN INDOORS WK 9 .jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 142
  • ETHIOPIAN INDOORS WK 9.jpg
    ETHIOPIAN INDOORS WK 9.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 151
  • ETHIOPIAN SATIVA BUD INDOORS WK 9 .jpg
    ETHIOPIAN SATIVA BUD INDOORS WK 9 .jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 183
  • ETHIOPIAN SATIVA INDOORS WK 9 FLOWERING.jpg
    ETHIOPIAN SATIVA INDOORS WK 9 FLOWERING.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 217

ULMW

Ethiopian Sativa indoors week 9 flowering. Wonderful oils and smells coming off her now. Lower budsites have already shown red hairs and some nice trich production.The colas are now slowly turning and gaining weight. Started yoyo's as getting that heavy.

Attachments

• ETHIOPIAN SATIVA WK 9 FLOWERING.jpg
    ETHIOPIAN SATIVA WK 9 FLOWERING.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 114
  • ETHIOPIAN INDOORS WK 9 FLOWERING.jpg
    ETHIOPIAN INDOORS WK 9 FLOWERING.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 149

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Ethiopian Sativa indoors week 9 flowering. Wonderful oils and smells coming off her now. Lower budsites have already shown red hairs and some nice trich production.The colas are now slowly turning and gaining weight. Started yoyo's as getting that heavy.
Just a thought, however if the buds are getting too heavy for the branches, they might need more some elevated levels of potassium, which is always in high demand from mid-flowering onwards. Other than helping the plant's health and ripening the crop, potassium also builds strong stems and branches.

ULMW

MAY 3

MAY 3

I have begun flushing now.
There is a very unique African Ethiopian aroma that these girls always emit. Oily ,spicy, incense , And and "Earthy-ness "which is very homely. Somehow there is a whiff of pine, lemon and even a spicy type of aniseed / mint combo that I do enjoy.
In Ethiopia there are great big Eycalyptus trees and Jasmin trees and many others which have an intense terpene profile and bouquet which really drentches the air in due season..
This herb plant fits that intense "heady" aromatic and somewhat "old school medicine cough candy" aroma.
When you burn it , the taste can be really earthy and clearly identified as African. It has some roasted coffee elements and a slight amount of chocolate amongst the Earthy flavor. This changes over time. Am just tasting a sample and it is still far too young. However it just puts me right back in Addis Abeba with a couple of Big head spliffs at the end of the day listening to bird song in my garden. Coffee in other hand and toasted popcorn to nibble. Feeling the reminicising vibes that Ethiopian herb really brings up. A great social herb and pleasing herb. Opens up creative ideas and happiness flows.
Betam Amassaganallo.
Will be looking forward to harvesting herin a couple weeks now.

Attachments

• ETHIOPIAN Sativa Indoors Flowering wk 11.jpg
    ETHIOPIAN Sativa Indoors Flowering wk 11.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 178
  • ETHIOPIAN INDOORS WK 11 FLOWERING.jpg
    ETHIOPIAN INDOORS WK 11 FLOWERING.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 136
  • ETHIOPIAN INDOORS WK 11 FLOWERING .jpg
    ETHIOPIAN INDOORS WK 11 FLOWERING .jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Ethiopian Sativa Indoors wk 11 flowering.jpg
    Ethiopian Sativa Indoors wk 11 flowering.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 190
  • ETHIOPIAN SATIVA WK 11 FLOWERING INDOORS.jpg
    ETHIOPIAN SATIVA WK 11 FLOWERING INDOORS.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 192

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
They look fantastic. They still could use a touch of Potassium (wood ash) though. They'll ripen even more. Great grow.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
They looks nice and chunky ( although a bit too green), no need for anything but water until they're mature; giving them k (or any other nutes) right now will fuck up the taste big time IMHO

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
They looks nice and chunky ( although a bit too green), no need for anything but water until they're mature; giving them k (or any other nutes) right now will fuck up the taste big time IMHO
While late nutes can influence the taste, woodash would have a very limited impact. It will dissipate with the cure.

If you look at the videos made by the Greenhouse Seed Company, you will see that most of the potency and complexity of the high shows up on the last weeks of ripening. And K is the main ripening nutrient. Also, from the leaf tips, the purpling of some of the leaf stems - clearly the plant would like a little extra potassion to finish up.

Just to demonstrate, look at the outsized impact of the last 3 weeks on the development of terpenes and THC.

13:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vTY1hz5gAw
11:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGNGeXcScHk

So in my opinion, giving just enough K in the last weeks is crucial to proper ripening - and it will also shorten ripening.

Last edited:

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry but i don't click on external link.

It's common knowledge that you need to harvest fully ripe buds to enjoy your weed at his best, no need for GHS to discover that :laughing:

When I look at ULM pics all i see is (slightly) overfeed plant (burnt leaf tips, thick dark green leaves),no k deficiency.His plants seems fine as they are to me.

By the way i have grown ethiopian a couple of time, here is a bud picture of a cross i made long time ago:
eth x haze
picture.php

Last edited:

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I already do it outside, in the ground but never when it comes to harvest times more when amending the soil before the season start.

But honestly i have a hard time thinking about doing it to potted plants,especially when it's flushing time.
But it's just about me:dunno: