What's new

Out the loop School me on the new hoods

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Been a while since i bought new equipment looking to see if anyone has done the numbers to see what hoods are the best at the moment. Im lazy so if anyone knows hollar int he the thread i would appreciate it.

C

cannaisok

i build a 56lx60wx30hcm hood with hammered aluminum sheets 0,6mm thick. working good. cant compare, only used trash hoods before :)

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
welcome back poopy! everyone switched to DE ballast hood combos who isn't vert since you been gone.

Gavitas and the knockoffs, supposed to be big gains in yields and you can see they grow superior product.
11350990_813769865403618_835270968_n.jpg

need more info do you need air-cooled, etc?

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
welcome back poopy! everyone switched to DE ballast hood combos who isn't vert since you been gone.

Gavitas and the knockoffs, supposed to be big gains in yields and you can see they grow superior product.
View Image

God damn that's a nice full room if I seen one.... Props cp....
As far as lights.... Imo they all work but space dictates lights especially with all the newer shit I've seen a few issues after ppl switch from hoods to de ....10k rooms if ya got headspace gavitas de all day.... Even better with a cmh tossed in between but you would have to have 12ft lids to pull that off correctly just make sure u cut no corners on ac's .... Can't wait to see this show...

420Johnny

Been a while since i bought new equipment looking to see if anyone has done the numbers to see what hoods are the best at the moment. Im lazy so if anyone knows hollar int he the thread i would appreciate it.

AC/DE air cooled 8' hoods run DE bulbs very well, removes about half the heat, so a 24K BTU a/c is still needed to cool six of them in the dead of summer. DE bulbs have the highest PAR output, and remember that a CMH bulb draws only 350w and has very limited penetration. Measure PAR two feet from each of these bulbs and i'll take the DE every time.

We use a few CMH for veg (given to us by the rep) but at an MSRP of $599 even discounted to $450-$480 it's still no bargain. There's no magic bullet with light, energy in equals light out and more in means more out which equals bigger yields. You can't multiply it magically. LED lights cost thousands and produce less then a 1K light setup selling for $500, CMH use 340w or so and can be daisy chained for a reason.. your going to need a lot more of them and they are going to cost you a lot more.

-peace

420Johnny

Of interest is that DE metal halide bulbs that have a quartz jacket may not fit in your existing DE fixtures. Before you buy any DE MH bulbs you should do a test fit, Gavita reflectors have a ridge on the inside that does not allow the bulb to be installed.

Similarly our AC/DE hoods had a hell of a time running Nanolux DE MH bulbs, not because they couldn't be installed but because of electrical line loss from the remote ballasts. Nanolux DE ballasts would not reliably even fire their own MH bulbs resulting in a dozen being RMA'ed.

Nanoluz DE MH bulbs also have a unique ceramic end cap that likes to break like nothing. Their bulbs go in very tightly because the spacing between bulb brackets inside the hood hasn't changed, but hey added the ceramic caps and the bulb is a few microns longer were it seats and that cause it to break being inserted.. very poor design.

420Johnny

Over what footprint?

I wouldn't run them with more then 3' x 3' footprint. Over a 4' x 4' tray they produce lankier plants. They daisy chain so pack them in, they do come in 240v for you commercial guys, I'd imagine you could chain 4-6 on one 240v 20A circuit.

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran

View Image

Hey man i been looking at those u mind if i shoot some question off of you?

1) one bulb for both correct? and doesnt lose its output for 10k hours?

2) what the minimal spacing above the canopy

3) how much hotter are they?

4) is it still 4k btu per 1k to kool a room or is that just aircooled room?

5) can you tell me how much better they are? would i be a fool to go the old route?

6) what is the foot print of them bulbs in that picture you showed?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran

5) can you tell me how much better they are? would i be a fool to go the old route?

that pics not mine, I wish I could afford a couple as well as their dope controller.

the controller really is sweet, it will dim ballasts to maintain room temps and many other features.

I don't know how much better they are but the difference looks huge to me from watching other peoples grows.

perhaps the biggest selling point is replacing the reflector for $30 once a year to maintain efficiency.

personally I still like my bare MH for flowering on the cheap. if I ever can afford it I'm going DE and plasma tho.
picture.php

prune

Veteran

1) yes
2) 2ft between bulb and plant is tight… there's lot's of infrared
3) not so much hotter (just that lot's of infrared), but they're supposed to be open hood.
4) 4.8 is more appropriate for your summer
5) Really better? They're more intense from the beginning, and don't suffer the accumulating losses of reflectivity, transmission, and rapid bulb degradation that traditional HPS entails.
6) 4x4 and 5x5 spacing is common with the 1000DE.

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
1) yes
2) 2ft between bulb and plant is tight… there's lot's of infrared
3) not so much hotter (just that lot's of infrared), but they're supposed to be open hood.
4) 4.8 is more appropriate for your summer
5) Really better? They're more intense from the beginning, and don't suffer the accumulating losses of reflectivity, transmission, and rapid bulb degradation that traditional HPS entails.
6) 4x4 and 5x5 spacing is common with the 1000DE.

ive read a canopy space of 6-8 ft above plants... is that overkill or too far away?

prune

Veteran
The manufacturers depend on the over-lap between reflectors to maximize the quality and penetration of light, keeping to their recommendations for spacing and height provides the most even distribution of energy.

However, if you're a big fan of horsepower and duct tape, and consider overlap and reflected light as salient as global warming, there's nothing quite as satisfying as watching Glue flower a couple of feet under a DE lamp...