What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

germinating seed position misconception solved (with pics)

Weed Farmer

Great post Kov. I was also was pretty sure that it does not matter which way the seed is planted and you have just confirmed this fact.

G

i'm sure in the wild they fall off the plant and go in the ground every direction possible
You can also be sure that many of them will never make it to sprout. But they do their best trying to fall on heavy side down.

No, there is difference. Won't show often but there is nevertheless. If a seed is healthy and of a good strain then its position sure won't matter. Dig it real deep starting from here if you will http://www.seedbiology.de/germination.asp

Last edited:
WOW best thread I've seen in a long time! great job kov. Show's you the book's not always right and nature is the best teacher.

I was observing as well, the stem has more support by the soil. because of how deep it's planted. I read once to plant the seeds shallow, but I got lanky seedlings that fell over.

Wondering if you'd consider a shallow vs. deep experiment?

MG

kov

Polskaaa, bialo-czerwonaaa
heh, thanks guys! I think everyone should be doing their little experiments and sharing with the community. That way we all grow stronger, more knowledgeable....and all the rest of that romantic BS.

This experiment wouldn't have happened if at one point in time I didn't decide to do another experiment in selective pollenating some buds on my ladies. A hundred seeds from a single bud - most given away to friends in need, some left to work on... what I'm trying to lead to.... next time you cull a male...think about it... But that's a subject for a completely different thread.

@Hello Medical Grade! heh hehe, are you trying to tease me into another test? :biglaugh: I wouldn't mind obliging,..

On a serious note, since a seedling has definitely got areas specifically designed to perform some functions, it may be safe to assume that the depth of sowing will have impact on the seedling development.

But on the other hand, I think that once colytedons are above soil level, it's mostly the surrounding environment - light, temperature and humidity that start to play a complex game of interaction with the plant, and are responsible for the length of young seedlings stem.

When in spring I plant my outdoor seeds directly in soil, there's hardly any sun shining on them, the temps are often close to 0 deg C at night and the humidity is probably close to 100%, but still they will perform wery well? It's completely contrary to what we are being taught about in indoor. Hehe of course I don't advocate closing your grow in fridge and using incandescent bulb for light.:biglaugh: But still, some food for thought.

rgds, kov

JLP

Veteran
Here's an experiment I did to see how cold seeds could freeze and still germ.

I froze some inside an ice cube and some in dry ice,once they thawed they all germed.

JLP

kov

Polskaaa, bialo-czerwonaaa
JLP said:
Here's an experiment I did to see how cold seeds could freeze and still germ.

I froze some inside an ice cube and some in dry ice,once they thawed they all germed.

JLP

That's a great one! :yes:

thanks for sharing JLP

rgds, kov

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
it's quite obvious the seed will always sprout, no matter which way you plant it. the thing is, planting pointy-side-up will probably make your seedlings sprout faster than if it was the opposite way.

mace_ecam

it's quite obvious the seed will always sprout, no matter which way you plant it. the thing is, planting pointy-side-up will probably make your seedlings sprout faster than if it was the opposite way.
How ya figure?

So far, all i can see is stoners making their life really complex, paper towels, bubblers, transplanting after germination,etc... all i can see is people playing with seeds and eventually killing a few for the sake of seing the shell pop...

There is way too much MJ growing myths out there, way too much.

Stick em in dirt as Kov did :)

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
mace_ecam said:
How ya figure?

So far, all i can see is stoners making their life really complex, paper towels, bubblers, transplanting after germination,etc... all i can see is people playing with seeds and eventually killing a few for the sake of seing the shell pop...

There is way too much MJ growing myths out there, way too much.

Stick em in dirt as Kov did :)

fair enough, although i don't find it complex planting a seed pointy side up myself. :D

2buds

Good thread maan. Reminds me of a thread(maybe here, maybe overgrow) where the guy germed them in water/paper towels and noted wether the root emerged from the side of the pod or the end of the pod. I believe side tap roots would turn out to be males and tip tap roots would turn out females. He had around 85-90% accuracy with his experiment.
I haven't tried it, to un-organized still.
Peace

mace_ecam

Good thread maan. Reminds me of a thread(maybe here, maybe overgrow) where the guy germed them in water/paper towels and noted wether the root emerged from the side of the pod or the end of the pod. I believe side tap roots would turn out to be males and tip tap roots would turn out females. He had around 85-90% accuracy with his experiment.
I haven't tried it, to un-organized still.
Peace
I read another thread on overgrow where someone stated that you have to shove the seed up your nose and then exhale through your nose, the female seed would fly farther away...

both stories are just that, stories :)

anyways, kov shows that germing in a paper towel is not optimal.

2buds

mace_ecam said:
I read another thread on overgrow where someone stated that you have to shove the seed up your nose and then exhale through your nose, the female seed would fly farther away...

both stories are just that, stories :)

anyways, kov shows that germing in a paper towel is not optimal.

No need to be ass dude, the story was based on facts rather an asshole attack.

mace_ecam

Not being an ass dude, but there was a lots of BS on OG...

you cannot tell the sex from the seeds or sprouts.

peace,

mace

2buds

Its all good mace, caught a bad vibe but it was my bad. Peace brother
The story seemed legit and could make for another experiment for you kov but prob a waste of time. I understand that the chance of telling sex at germination is just that, a 50-50 chance.
I germed 24 hrs in a cup of water poured from a gallon of distilled with drop of superthrive, plunked them 1/2 - 1 inch deep in soil-no tails just wet,24-72 hours they were raising up, had to help 2 or 3 through but had 100% germ rate. None placed any particular way. Beans were from gypsy, good stock I'd say.
Again, good thread kov hope I'm not jacking it.