What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What other plants can be cloned besides marijuana?

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
Im curious to hear what other plants clone? I would like to start making full use of my 110site cloner..

Theres gotta be fruit trees, certain vegetables and cactus that can be cloned

anybody successfully cloned anything other then ganja?

bonsai

The term "clone" is wrong, no idea where canna culture got it from. You mean "grown from cuttings" and the list of what won't grow from cuttings is far shorter than what will. I've grown at least 50 different trees from cuts. Take cuts at early spring when new bud/leaf sites have emerged and sap is flowing. Don't expect roots in 2 weeks though.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yep you can root cuttings from almost anything. woody plants tend to be better taken as hardwood cuttings which dont require heat and will form roots over autumn and winter.

you can root cuttings of fruit trees but bear in mind most fruit trees are grafted onto a different rootstock in order to control the final size it gets to.

most things like mint, sage, penstemon anything with green stems can be rooted in the same ways as mj

VG

C

cheesey

is only mj plants were like spider plants would be so much easyer . 1 of my spider plants has around 300 babys hangging lol .

bugler

Since you asked about cactus, don't put them in the cloner. Well, there's a lot of variety in the cactus family, but the vast majority clone nicely but not in a cloner. Most cactus you just cut off a piece, and let it sit in open air for days to weeks. The wound needs to breathe, and it will form a scab. Then you plant your scabbed cutting, usually in a pretty dry medium. Roots form when they want to. Many cactus will work like this, and it doesn't have to be a growing tip, most cactus will be able to form a new tip from any spine site after they have rooted.

For other plants, I regularly keep ziplocks with a few paper towels and a bottle of water in my car. See a plant at the nursery you like? Or just growing in public somewhere? I just pinch a piece off, stick it in my pocket, then into the ziplock/paper towel with some water when I get to the car. Resnip, hormone and plant when home. I've been amazed at what will actually root and grow, screw buying plants from nurseries unless you're in a hurry!

smokefrogg

Veteran
^^^ i dig how you keep a little kit on you just in case, great idea!

...playing around i was able to get a pinot noir grape plant we got to root cuttings, there's a bougainvillea as well that is beginning to take off too! fun stuff

bugler

My orange tree is a clone :)
I don't know if your smiley means you know it, but many don't. If it's a navel orange, they are all clones. I was AMAZED when I learned that! Navel oranges came from a single mutation in 1810, that specimen was sterile, so every single navel orange that has ever been grown was either that original plant, or a cutting of it.

Over 200 years of cloning the exact same plant! Talk about preserving a strain!
http://www.gardenguides.com/105885-history-navel-orange-tree.html

P

powerrobbie

I've cloned all sorts of flowers and shit for fun...Didn't you ever root cuttings in water in grade school? I did the pototao growing roots thing as well. Most flowers and shit clone VERY easy...My mom grows roses and everytime a branch breaks off cause of bad weather or animals she just puts it in a glass of water and they ALWAYs grow roots. Then my mom plants her "babys" as she calls them outside in the garden.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I grew up in the central valley of Cali...I planted a shit ton of grape "cuttings".....I just drove by that same field on the way to visit my dad 30 years later....damn where did that 30 years go?