What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Feminized Seeds vs. Regular Seeds

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Is there any reason to go with regular seeds over feminized seeds? Is anything lost in the process of making feminized seeds that someone would be missing out on if they grew fems instead of regs?

one Q

Quality
Veteran
There is no reason. But you may want to make seeds, which you cannot do with fems.

What I reccomend is buying a pack of fems, then also buying a cheap pack of regs from someone like, Mandala, or Nirvana. Crack your girls first, then down the line, crack your regs to make seeds. You WILL want to make seeds at some point, it's the natural progression of this game.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
this is "THE"age old argument that will never end.....It'z really a personnel preference based on needs and wants..... and over all desired out-come....

Useful Idiot

Veteran
Actually I do both. And I am satisfied with the results of both,well except GH Alaskan Ice fem,thats another story. BTW I have ran SLH and Lemon Skunk by them and no probs. Not bashing them just lettin you know that it was the only fem I actually had troubles with. Also Female seeds the brand so to speak is just soooo reliable for me BTW. I guess it's all about what YOUR preference is . Don't worry about what others say....hell don't even hold a candle to what I say.......just try it and figure out what is best for YOUR situation. Be safe.:dance013:

Last edited:

bobman

If you like scientific discussions google chimera femmed. mr nice forums has a pretty extensive thread about femmed. Warning it is technical in some parts, but an interesting read. I just read about 15 pages and I still do not know where the hell chimera, nevill and shanti stand on the subject. but shanti does mention he is going to be making femmed seeds for the med community. I guess to answer your question, no it does not seem you will be missing out on something but I do not think there is a clear understanding on what part the male's dna plays. dont quote me. i think more of the discussion is on selection and what threat inbred lines can play in the future.

ps I just tried fems and I really liked them. i wish there was more of a selection of today's top genetics in fem form.

I like both and have made crosses using femmed beans and so far I haven't experienced a single hermi problem. This is only my experience mind you so I can only speak for myself really. I recently learned the value of fem autoflower beans, started them with the rest of my beans and I have just finished smoking what I got from the auto (hence the last week offline, hehehe...) which was nice, having bud 4-5weeks prior to when I thought I would.

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
There is a reason,or at least there could be shakiraloba.

When fems are made, a breeder stresses the plants to discover which of them are resistant to hermaphroditism under stress. When acceptable parents are found, fems are made. Its unlikely that the pheno that doesnt hermie easily is also the most potent pheno which theoretically one would want to use for a parent plant. So, plants that come from femmed seed are rarely as potent as the most potent pheno of the strain.

For example. Sensi star is generally potent and the fems are quite potent - more so than any other indica ive grown. But if you buy a pack of the regulars, in that pack will be a kick ass, head sweating pheno that will make every SS fem Paradise makes look like ditch weed.

If you want a good crop of consistent plants with reasonable potency, fems are great. If you're looking for the holy grail and that special one of a kind pheno, youll need to buy regular seeds.

If you want a good crop of consistent plants with reasonable potency, fems are great. If you're looking for the holy grail and that special one of a kind pheno, youll need to buy regular seeds.
Could not say better. When being a grower with small space, and no veg chamber and no cuttings around, fems are just great, but I don't expect to find anything memorable among them. Just good smoke.

I had FMS Black Widow, that show bananas at week 11 in flo, but it just showed, that she was ripe. :D

bobman

i dont know about that. i think you could find a holy grail in fem form. just like in all breeding selection is the key.

There is a reason,or at least there could be shakiraloba.

When fems are made, a breeder stresses the plants to discover which of them are resistant to hermaphroditism under stress. When acceptable parents are found, fems are made. Its unlikely that the pheno that doesnt hermie easily is also the most potent pheno which theoretically one would want to use for a parent plant. So, plants that come from femmed seed are rarely as potent as the most potent pheno of the strain.

For example. Sensi star is generally potent and the fems are quite potent - more so than any other indica ive grown. But if you buy a pack of the regulars, in that pack will be a kick ass, head sweating pheno that will make every SS fem Paradise makes look like ditch weed.

Say what? and just as easily you could find a potent fem in a batch of fem seeds.... like people have! its not one or the other!. I think its best summed up in the thread bobman pointed out and a post by chimera...

If a given female is good enough to use as a female (mother in a breeding scheme), why would she not be good enough to use as a pollen source?

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Oh_Shit_Not_Again.jpg

:)

=K

Boy+Girl=natural selection...Girl+Girl=fucked up gene pool...

Not really natural selection would be left to nature and nothing to do with anyone and cannabis therefore would mostly be monoecious!! still I like a good drug plant from a genepool that has been selected for certain good traits via many mating methods.. so if its left to natural selection you will have intersexed individuals in a gene pool, so maybe its you fucking up a gene pool ?

Natural selection is one of the cornerstones of modern biology. The term was introduced by Darwin in his influential 1859 book On the Origin of Species,[1] in which natural selection was described as analogous to artificial selection, a process by which animals and plants with traits considered desirable by human breeders are systematically favored for reproduction

BadRabbit

There is no reason. But you may want to make seeds, which you cannot do with fems.

What I reccomend is buying a pack of fems, then also buying a cheap pack of regs from someone like, Mandala, or Nirvana. Crack your girls first, then down the line, crack your regs to make seeds. You WILL want to make seeds at some point, it's the natural progression of this game.

um ... 15 years of non-stop growing and I've never been tempted... accidentally did it once or twice though.

Nothing wrong with feminized seeds, or breeding/seed making if that's what you want to do, but some people go down that path instead of becoming a good/great cloner... not all, but some. I think that's a mistake.

best,
rabbit

BadRabbit

First in line, when that happens.

Also Dinafem fems have been very reliable around here. No germ probs and no herms.

That appears to be true. Shanti recently wrote in the MNS forums that he was a little put out by companies that were simply buying his stuff, then feminizing and reselling them ... he specifically mentioned Dinafem as an example.

best,
rabbit

Latest posts

Latest posts