What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is there to do besides joining the military?

NickMode

I feel stuck with no where to go. But i need something in my life, i need structure. I thought about joining the military but im so against the war and cant see myself fighting for something i dont believe in.

What are some other options.

:emo:

S

Stoner Gardener

What is there to do besides joining the military?

Lots of other options.
For example, you might want to
study something of interest to yourself.
You could speak to a school counsellor about career choices, if only to weigh choices.
Follow your heart.. & good luck :)

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
grow & sell shit loads of corn:tiphat:
work in Mcdonalds
work in Wendys
crab fisherman
bouncy castle repairman
actor
drug trafficker
P.I.M.P

keep it green
highlander

I hear ya Nick,sometimes it's awful hard to know which direction to take in life.Becoming a Merchant Marine(Mariner),or maybe try your hand at working on an off shore oil rig.Both are interesting jobs unto themselves.Lots of travel and educational opportunities aboard a Mariner vessel. And I can think of few jobs as trying and different than working on an oil rig.Both pay reasonably well unless you live like a King at present. Another thing you may be interested in is starting your own small farm or CSA.The pay won't be anything to brag about,but if you're looking for feelings of contentment and honest labor,this may be a route to go.That's what I'm personally looking into at the moment.There are lots of things out there for you(and all of us) to do,just think about what really gets you excited and motivated.I'm really looking forward to what other members will suggest,great thread idea.And hopefully we don't get too many "just grow a bunch of dope and sell it" posts.For some this is just a great hobby or a way to avoid the middleman and crappy weed. Not bashing dealers,in fact they provide a great service to many.Just doesn't seem very exciting or fulfilling.Sorry to ramble,just a great topic for many of us wondering the same things.

SR

alaskind

^^^..... I have to say that bieng a grower has been an extremely fullfilling career choice,however most of us have participated in other trades....

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Learn construction. If you are good at it you will never need another job. Skilled tradesmen are always in demand.

I hear ya there alaskind.My statement is not meant to offend any,it was more of a personal statement as to my desire to do this for a living.Lots of us make a little money on the side with this hobby,myself included. I've just never seen it as a permanent career choice,for myself.I certainly have nothing against those who do.To each their own.

SR

D

darkhorse

i was thinking of taking up some other hobby- wood carving or something artistic-ish
to see if i can get any good at it and enjoy it then maybe make some money.
but i will have to enjoy whatever i try out to make it last.

there seem to be lots of lots of little sub growing hobbies that could spark intrest in a lot
of people such as glass,videos,reviews and hundreds of things.

THC123

Veteran
i would never join the ujs military cuz they always go where the action is

i have however though about joining the airforce for some time now

they gett to choose if they go abroad and get their retirement 10 years earlier then normal people

lol that is actually the only reason i would like to join :D retirement at 55 instead of 67 :dance013:

As a health care provider, I'll advocate my route. I'm an incredibly cynical person who has no love (or hate, just sadness) towards the country I live in, the system at-large, and the way human nature seems to be manifesting. Yet I still have love and respect for people on an individual basis. In this way, I was unable to motivate myself in the corporate world. I'd go home consumed with anger and self-hate, knowing that I was nothing but another prole; a pawn in the rich man's game, giving my life away for nothing of value short doing the route most men take; breed more consumers in order to feel self-worth.

In health care, you don't need to do any intellectual circles to see that your time spent studying and abstaining from drugs was worthwhile. It's pretty obvious. You know- either the patient is dead, or they're not, type of thing...

If you haven't racked up a felony yet, I'd highly recommend health care if you're a cynical yet deeply hopeful and compassionate bastard like myself. I know for absolute certainty that more than one person in this world is alive and doing well thanks to the fact that I am exceptionally good at what I do; a mediocre provider wouldn't necessarily have "fucked up," but they wouldn't have done what I did, on numerous occasions. I can't tell you how much that experience helps when you've got the blues...

spainmedman

Try looking into an electrical apprenticeship, you will get paid to learn the trade. It's a good in demand job in some places.

have you tried not joining the military??

I knew if I joined the military it would personally make me heartless piece of shit..(it doesn't do it to everybody, nor am I saying the military does this but it would to me)..

THC123

Veteran
what i hate about the army is that they start drinking on the job in the cafetaria at 9 o clock in the morning and friday's after work they sometimes organize a drink

and then they all drive home in their cars drunk as fuck

but get caught with weed and you are kicked out of the military

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
THC123, I take it from your posts that you have never been in the Army. I think you have your information wrong at least in the U.S Army. The Air Force is A part of the Military.
It used to be you were able to retire at half pay after 20 years, 75% afafter serving 30 years. This all changed in the 80's Now you can't draw your half pay until you hit 65,prior to that its quarter pay. Thats thanks to the right, most of whom never served in the military,they said it was wrong to serve 20 years in the infantry and get half pay after only 20 years!. No way, people could then get another job and get two pay checks.
As for drinking no way is it allowable to drink while on duty, and the cafeterias don't generally serve beer during duty hours.
As for getting caught with weed, it's against the law in the military just like it is in civilian life in most states.
Mt two cents as a Vet, I served 10 years and am 100% disabled. Get your fact right.

THC123

Veteran
heheeh i was talking bout the airforce of the belgian army got 3 buddies workign there :D

us army? now that would be something i would never ever join(too risky) but our army is something i wanna join before i am 34 cuz of the financial security and 10 years earlier retirement

they actually get to choose if they go on a mission or not(airforce certain department )

RoachClip

I hold El Roacho's
Veteran
Bullfrog44 - Learn construction. If you are good at it you will never need another job. Skilled tradesmen are always in demand.
Not today my brotha, housing materials cost fell again and the prices of houses fell another record 19% in 2011 already so being a contractor or carpenter, anything to do with the housing Industry is something I would stay away from...

Auto mechanic is always in need even if it's a side job out of your own garage cars always break down and people need them fixed so that's always in demand brotha..

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
The military might not even take you to be honest.

You have to really want to be there these days.

They used to suspend criminal sentence if you fought in Vietnam.

Now if you have one you can't go to Afghanistan.

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
I believe this is a subject I can speak from a place of experience on.

While I have the utmost respect for the men and women who dedicate themselves to defending this great nation, regardless of how some folks try to muddle it with their political leanings, do NOT join the military.

Their screening processes are none existent and they leave the pieces of shattered lives for others to clean up.

Pursue some other interests, maybe continue your education...maybe even try developing your own methods of self discipline and structure.

That way when an opportunity presents itself, you'll be ready to jump right in.

Hard to do when you have a 4-6 year MOS, when all you wanted was some 'structure'

FWIW

Peace,

SSM :joint: