What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bugs or a deficiency?

I have four jack clones outdoors all growing in FF ocean forest. They've been doing really well so far, but I noticed some yellow spots on a couple leaves and I can't tell if it's a nute deficiency or some kind of insect? I'm bad at this stuff. It's only affecting maybe 3 or 4 leaves out of the whole crop and the rest of the plant looks lush and green from top to bottom. It doesn't seem to be on new or old growth specifically, it's just random where it appears. Any ideas?

lKMW1s7.jpg

qRUS9Hf.jpg

therevverend

Veteran
Those look like scales to me. I think Koondense is right, I don't see any living ones but keep your eye's peeled.

The smaller spots in the 2nd picture, the leaf below the leaf with the scale damage on the far right. The marks on the leaf are thrip damage. Outdoors you don't have to worry about thrips turning into an infestation. Even indoors they usually aren't a big problem. You may want to treat clones if you take any to move indoors especially if you give them away to someone.

I never treat my outdoor plants, don't have to, but those are young plants so I'd watch how things develop. They should be vigorous enough in their youth to outrun any small problems.

therevverend

Veteran
Looks like a skeletonizer was hard at work one evening.

The 'skeletonizers' eat the leaf, leaving only the skeleton, the leaf stem. Scales eat the green surface layer of the leaf leaving scars on the leaves in the shape of their little bodies.

Those look a little different then the scales I've had, partly because whatever did the damage is long gone. I'd see a few of the scales left in the spots, they were hard to spot because their bodies are the shape of the scars. If you didn't look closely you couldn't tell the insect was still there.

I've got some clones in a tub outside rooting. The slugs have been infiltrating the tubs and skeletizing the clone leaves, another beast you can add to the caterpillars that do that sort of damage.

Thanks for the input guys, I thought it was bugs too. I did find like two tiny white spiders on the affected plants but everything else looks fine. Outdoor is always kind of a gamble though depending on where you are and the weather that year. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Latest posts