What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need a good reliable self-propelled mower.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I need a mower.
Would rather have gasoline self propelled mulching mower with optional bag attachment.

I need recommendations. Brands, size, engine, front or rear wheel drive, durability.

Basically can only get from Lowe's, Home Depot, or Walmart. Or order from their website with in-store pickup.

Small yard. Too small to make yard look nice with riding mower. Unless I get a zero turn, and I'm not doing that. Part of yard is on hillside. Looking to spend under $300

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I'm thinking I want front wheel drive.

Wouldn't that be easier to turn in tight spots? Just push down on handle to lift front wheels of ground and turn. Wouldn't have to dis engage the drive.

watts

ohms
Veteran
I like a rear wheel honda myself. Front wheel may be fine for your yard, especially if no hills.

hayday

Veteran
Rear wheel drive works better for me as you can lift the front wheels and steer around trees with the drive ingaged.
I bought a Toro 21" cut with a briggs and stratton engine.
Its got bag capabilities or mulch or side discharge.
I had the previous model for ten years to trim up what a rider couldnt get to and just got a new one this spring. I wanted a Honda moter but the self propel electric switchs diddnt do it for me.
I bought it at Home Depot for around 3 bills

WelderDan

Veteran
I've got a Troy-bilt. It will bag, mulch or side eject. Has a hose attachment on the deck to wash the wet clippings off the inside. Self propel speed is adjustable, the more you squeeze the lever, the faster it goes. I just walk behind it at steer it. Still starts first pull. I got it at Lowes, but I don't know if they still carry them. It's been a great mower

troutman

Seed Whore
These ones are self-propelled. :biggrin:

Goats control pasture invasive plants

052815-goats-eating-multiflora-rose.jpg

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I was excited about the poulan pro, but now reading reviews, there seems to be a few people saying the height adjusting lever on the front wheels comes bent from shipment.
Also some saying that the push button wears doesn't work.
Worst of all leaky carburator, costing $150 to fix

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I've got a Troy-bilt. It will bag, mulch or side eject. Has a hose attachment on the deck to wash the wet clippings off the inside. Self propel speed is adjustable, the more you squeeze the lever, the faster it goes. I just walk behind it at steer it. Still starts first pull. I got it at Lowes, but I don't know if they still carry them. It's been a great mower
I got one of those, too.
Honda power is better than Briggs & Stratton ...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
These ones are self-propelled. :biggrin:

won't wake you or the neighbors in the morning, will fertilize your yard, use no gas or oil, never need blades sharpened and can be either milked or killed and eaten. (if you're twisted, you could even...nah, not going there:biggrin:) top THAT, John Deere!

watts

ohms
Veteran
Don't get a robotic mower. This guy I know spent $1500 on one and while it was mowing someone stole it. Lol

iu

Raho

Veteran
Rear wheel drive is better (powers through turns)
Make sure the height adjusters are metal with no plastic.
Also, engine should have a metal carburetor and not a plastic carb.

Use this website to find a gas station near you where you can buy gas without ethanol:
https://www.pure-gas.org/
Ethanol fuel ruins todays modern yard tools.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I had goats when I was a kid. They ate wild onion greens. They would eat any tree or bush as high up as they could reach up on their tippy hoofs.
Only time they ate the grass was after I mowed it. And they were terrified of that mower.

Would run to the cut grass and scarf it down till I came back around for another pass. Then jump off like a deer jumps scared shitless.
There were two males. They used to fuck each other constantly. They were fixed, but always mounting and humping. Especially when we would have company in the yard. Then it was all out fuckfest

RB56

Veteran
Hondas have always been good. Have you looked at used? Most towns have a place that rebuilds and sells used mowers. I got a nice mulching mower for $100. Has lasted for 8 years so far. The thing about mowers (most yard tools) is that they get crappier each year. One that's a few years old could be better than a brand new one.

For leaf blower, string trimmer and hedge trimmers, I've switched to battery. Much nicer. Quiet, clean and the only oil/gasoline mixture I have to keep is for the chain saw.

hayday

Veteran
Yeah, an E-Go string trimmer is awsome. I can weed eat untill
I'm sick of it on a fresh charge. An hour after its on the charger, I can get sick of it again.
It is quiet though, thats really nice

RB56

Veteran
Yeah, an E-Go string trimmer is awsome. I can weed eat untill
I'm sick of it on a fresh charge. An hour after its on the charger, I can get sick of it again.
It is quiet though, thats really nice
That's the one! Blower is more than enough to clear the (long) driveway and sidewalk and not having a cord on the hedge trimmer is great. 3 tools and two batteries but probably would have been fine with one battery, they last so long.

Latest posts

Latest posts